Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Scarborough area Dog Training

BannersMom
November 6th, 2007, 10:59 AM
Hi everyone...I just signed up for this and hope someone can be of help. I live in the Kennedy and Eglington area and I am looking for a dog trainer. I am prefering a one on one trainer that will come out to me and work with Banner and myself. If anyone has any recommendations I would appreciate it.. I would prefer to here someones comments that has used this trainer. I am a very protective mom and want what will work best for my dog and I.
Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give.

SnowDancer
November 6th, 2007, 12:29 PM
Check out www.bonejourdogtrainingservices.ca. The trainer provides one-on-one training at clients' homes. Note though that she uses the Barbara Woodhouse method. I noted in your profile that you have a Boxer - this lady has trained a lot of Boxers - including several that I know of through my dog's Groomer (she has Boxers) - always has - and she got their training started early. My guy - not a Boxer - had some remedial lessons last year after his 2nd birthday - wish I had known about this trainer when he was a pup. Would recommend. We live in East York and she travelled to our house, no problem.

BannersMom
November 6th, 2007, 06:36 PM
Thanks so much for your info, I have checked on line and it seems to be what I am looking for, I have called and left a message so now I am waiting to hear back from her. I have called a few places and I would prefer to use someone that others have used so I could get some feedback.. thanks again for the referal. I will let you know more once I have touched base with Kim.
Thanks
Bannersmom:dog:

SnowDancer
November 7th, 2007, 10:42 AM
You are most welcome. And I must say the Boxers Kim has trained are very well behaved! Can't quite say the same for my Eskimo, but he didn't meet her until he was nearly 2 1/2 and Eskies are funny guys - but he is much better than he was. Wish she could have met him at 16 weeks - Eskies are very stubborn dogs. My guy's girlfriend is a Boxer - she waits for him every Thursday when he goes for socialization at the groomer's - too bad though she is now so much bigger than he is - at 22 lbs. he feels short and I think remembers when she was 1/2 his size. Her sister is even larger - so my guy stands holding a paw around each Boxer's neck. With so many Boxers in her clientele I think he has a complex. Hope things work out with Kim. Tell her hi from Elmo the Eskimo.

BannersMom
November 7th, 2007, 04:41 PM
Well I heard back from Kim... seems she is too far north now and does not service my area. She did refer me to another trainer... who I called and got a message back today... she does the more central area... I am too far east...I am getting frustrated here....grrrr... I got a quote from one trainer... but have not heard any comments from anyone in regards to them. I called another and when I stated that some of my issues are recall when he is leash free, I got a comment that stated well I would not let him free... I guess you will have to figure that out on your own... Needless to say I was not at all impressed with them. I have an assessment appointment tomorrow for another one but I am a bit leary. They did really say what kind of training method they use... oh well we will have to see during the assesment...and price is anywhere from 200 to 800. Sounds a bit vague to me and I dont want anyone that will hit or Knee Banner in the chest as I have heard of some that train in this manner. So I guess I will keep trying. It amazes me that there can be 40 trainers in the downtown core and next to no one is Scarboro. But that is not your fault and I again thank you for trying.
I will let you know how it goes.
later
Bannersmom

satchelp
November 7th, 2007, 09:05 PM
Try asking on the dogstoronto Yahoo group. You will for sure get some recommendations from the folks on that group.

lauriet
November 8th, 2007, 08:07 AM
My mother lives near you. Since she wanted to go to a group class, she went to www.whoswalkingwho.ca , and took classes in Ajax.
However, I've heard good reviews about Bark Busters' in-home training, and the web site says they cover Scarborough. I haven't used them myself.
www.barkbusters.ca

SnowDancer
November 8th, 2007, 10:53 AM
Sorry that it didn't work out with Kim. She helped my guy out in June 2006 and I knew she was thinking of moving - I guess when you just do in-home training you have to work in your travel costs - and it was far enough to my place from hers when she trained El - but she tried to organize her day around training in certain areas. Hope you find someone - I don't have the problem with recall when off leash because my Eskie is never off leash with me - a high prey instinct and absolutely no street smarts - same with the hounds we used to have. When he is home boarded the lady takes him and her other charges to a dog park and he goes off leash with her - and listens. What can I say - just like kids - angels with other people.

Luba
November 10th, 2007, 01:58 AM
Dorothy Avery

http://www.motherknowsbest.ca/obedience.shtml