- Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

FOUND: black male ShepX in Innisfil

November 6th, 2007, 07:55 AM
I found a large, all black, male dog wandering in front of my house at about 8:00 this am. He's very friendly. Looks to be a Shep cross, possibly with Lab. He's tall & lean. He is wearing a flea collar and a flat nylon collar with a rabies tag from 2005. The rabies tag is from a veterinary clinic in the 519 area code. There was a name and phone number scratched onto the back of the tag by hand. The name was not legible, but the phone number was also in the 519 area code. When I called the number, I was told that they had fostered a dog two years ago, but he has since been adopted. I brought him to the vet to check for a chip - no luck.

If anyone is looking for a dog of this description, he's currently being held at the Stroud Veterinary Clinic on Yonge street. PM me if you want more info. Sorry, no pictures.

November 6th, 2007, 08:17 AM
Thanks for picking him up :thumbs up .

Doesn't the foster home (or the rescue/shelter they fostered for) have a contact number/address for the adoptive family?

November 6th, 2007, 08:31 AM
You would think. :shrug: But, then again, you would think that they would have had him microchipped, or at least put a proper ID tag on him, instead of scratching their number onto the back of the rabies tag so you can't read his name and could barely make out the number.

I couldn't just let him roam. We're a small subdivision, but we have a pretty major road running right down the middle. I would hate for him to be hit by a car, or worse yet, picked up by our "animal control". :evil:

November 6th, 2007, 11:22 AM
Update: I called the vet who issued the rabies tag. The story gets a little fishy here. I explained that there was a name and phone number scratched onto the back of the tag. She said, yes, that's what they do for all of their clients. I said I couldn't read the name, but called the number, and told her the story about the foster home. She said they would never put a foster home's number on the back of a tag, only the real owner's, and that they don't work with any rescue groups on a regular basis. Hmmm... :confused:

So, I'll wait until after dinner, then call the vet where he's staying to see if there's any news on him. If not, I'll bring him to our local OSPCA. I can't hold him myself - my son is going in for dental surgery today, I can't introduce a new dog into the house AND deal with a convalescing 8 year old (especially a dog who peed on the vet's desk the minute he walked in the door - can only imagine what he'd do with Phoebe around!). I also can't let our local animal control take him - I've had dealings with them in the past that left a bad taste in my mouth. :yuck:

I hope his owners come home from work, realize their dog is gone, and start calling around at the local vets for information. :fingerscr

November 6th, 2007, 06:42 PM
Update II: Well, I called the vet where our friend was being kept. No luck. :frustrated: No one had called looking for him, and animal control was there waiting to pick him up. I begged them to call the local OSPCA and have him taken there instead. Turns out that's where the animal control guy was taking him anyway. Phew! :thumbs up So, I'll be keeping a close eye on their website. On the one hand, I hope that he won't show up on their adoptions page in a week, because that'll mean that his family came to claim him (and paid the $350 fine to get him out of jail - and maybe learned their lesson in the mean time :rolleyes: ). On the other hand, I kind of hope that he does get put up for adoption, because that'll mean he'll at least get neutered and might wind up with a family who'll keep a closer eye on him. I wish I had been in a position to hold him myself, but this was the worst possible week for him to show up on my doorstep. :sad: