Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Vet Rant!

sammgo21
November 5th, 2007, 11:17 AM
Hi Everyone,

As some of you know we adopted Jade about 2 weeks ago from a local shelter. We went back to the shelter this weekend for a visit and I got a copy of her vet records from before (these were never offered during the adoption an considering this situation, kind of important) - which details her medical issue - Sphincter incompetence - which she is on Propalin 0.5ml/daily. The vet records also revealed some information which the shelter did not tell us - which really....well...gets me mad :mad:
i.e.: she is apparently 6 - not 4.....it's kewl, just don't lie about it. :frustrated:

Then, I find out all about Propalin and the incontinence problem from the internet of all places - this vet we took her to (almost 2 weeks ago) didn't know what Propalin was and denied that Urinary Incontinence due to spaying occurs and dismissed the cause we were given - then why not take her off the meds??? arggghhhhh - it was an awful experience. To boot, it was all over so quick, it took a while for it to sink in that it was a bad experience.

So I've called up my family vet - who sees my parents 2 dogs, put my cat down and saw our other dog before she passed. :rip: We are going to see him for another checkup and chat in 2 weeks. :thumbs up

Good thing too, b/c Jade had 2 accidents this weekend.

Arkkk......I wish people were just more professional and honest - it always works better.

Thanks for "listening"

Lukka'sma
November 5th, 2007, 12:06 PM
Hope things get worked out when you see the other vet:thumbs up

white wrabbit
November 5th, 2007, 12:43 PM
when she has the accidents that is when she pees? (just want to be sure..) if so i will get the one name of the drug not to use for it.. my mil had the same problem with her dog.. Shilo could of been sleeping and pee and not wake up...

and i do know what you mean about the leaving information out when you adopt them.. and have to get in touch with them for the rest of it... then finding out the real truth..

sammgo21
November 5th, 2007, 01:16 PM
Thanks Lukka'sma, I hope so too. I really like him and my family has been going to him for years. We would have taken here there initially but this other place was open on Sunday and we really needed to meet the 72 hour deadline.

white wrabbit - yes, it's just pee. She is on Propalin now since it was determined that it was Sphincter incontinence due to the spay procedure. Perhaps I should have been a little clearer - when they gave us her past history information, which was just a few lines on the adoption aggrement - details about this problem were not there. Like:
she had been spayed before arriving at the shelter
This problem only started 2 months after she entered the shelter.
They told us dribbles, the paperwork indicates they had seen more than just dripples during sleep or when lying down. Wet spots noticed on bedding etc.

When I called up the family vet to make an appointment, they asked for the past records to use it as a benchmark so we can gauge where she is at whenever she has her checkups or whatever. She was at the shelter for approximately 5 months and in the last 3 months had visited the vet numerous times.

It is so important that we have the correct and complete information and back history about her. When she had a "big" accident this weekend I was freaking out - I thought the meds weren't working or she was getting worse. After reading the history I understand that it's Ok and it might happen.

That what urks me about this. The past history wasn't complete on the paperwork we originally received. We need to know this stuff and we need to tell our vet so that he knows too.

ancientgirl
November 5th, 2007, 01:42 PM
I can understand your anger. Having rescued three kittens in terrible shape from a vets office makes you just want to scream.

The shelter should have had the records for you first of all, and second, not lied to you. They probably figured getting her adopted if she was 4 would be easier if they said she was 6, but that's no excuse.

And the vet you took her to should have been a little more attentive to you and your cat's issues.

I've realized good vets are very hard to find. I'm very lucky I found a great one on my first try, but I've heard horror stories from other people. I'd never take my cats to the vet I rescued the three from, not if they were the last place on earth.

I hope you get your little one to your family vet soon and he can help her with her issues.

sammgo21
November 5th, 2007, 01:55 PM
Thanks ancientgirl,

Actually Jade is a dog ;) I should have said that. Either way, stuff like this just shouldn't happen to any animal. Now I'm pretty soured on that place and that vet but I know not every place is like that so I won't hold a grudge to everyone. I can see too how situations like this, when it comes to not releasing medical records, could do more harm than good. How many people would be less likely to adopt and animal with a medical condition if something like this, or as you described, happened to them? or return the animal?

Maybe they did think they she would have a better chance at 4yrs old, maybe the vet changed his mind....who knows. I'll just be happy to get her to the family vet for some TLC! and good and proper assessment and check up.

The shelter practices should be much better, too bad they couldn't be standardized so there would be more accountability and harmonized procedures and practices. PS - this is a city run shelter.

ancientgirl
November 5th, 2007, 02:14 PM
OH, sorry about that. LOL, I guess since I saw the kitty on your avatar I assumed.

I can understand, not many people would adopt an animal with special needs or health issues, but some people will. And sometimes those issues are nothing that some good care and treatment can't fix.

Still, the important thing is you got her and she's going to get the care she needs. Let us know how it goes, and some pictures would be nice too!:D

sammgo21
November 5th, 2007, 02:26 PM
Oh yeah - I haven't changed it yet!

I aggree. It is too bad though, since like you said, it usually doesn't take much.

Here is her other post with pics
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=45822

les
November 5th, 2007, 02:33 PM
I'm sorry to hear that too.

I did want to say that volunteering at my local Humane Society and meeting the staff , it's my opinion they probably didn't "lie" about the age. I mean, they find a stray for example and the age is simply a guess and even if it's an owner surrender, they still rely on the owner to be honest.

The Humane Society here is so honest that they had a message on the information card of this 10 year old poodle's cage that said he was really in need of dental care that could cost around $500!

Maybe this one here is the exception!

mummummum
November 5th, 2007, 08:12 PM
Just want to make sure of one thing...

Spay incontinence really is about the odd leage not about peeing. If she peed that's about something else entirely. And if she is still leaking then she needs to be re-examined for an increase dosage, a UTI or the possibililty of a vulvar re-section.

sammgo21
November 7th, 2007, 09:22 AM
mummummum - I'm a little confused....the leakage is pee - but it leaks out, she is not in a "pee stance" when this happens, she isn't controlling it . When the accident on the weekend happened she was lying down, she was probably sleeping.

Were off to the vet tonight for a scab we found on her anyways so I will be sure to ask about the meds. She is on the low dosage now so maybe we need to up it to the full dose for a while. Hasn't happened again since Saturday so who knows.

I digress......did I just jack my own thread?????

back on track....

It seems that the Canadian Federation of Humane Societies does the Ontario spca as one of their members (which I assume would trickle down to all OSPCA members). Not sure what the membership entails though, I can't find anything on the site to indicate that CFHS is somehow a governing body to these societies.

Les - the 6yrs old was on the vet papers. I'm happy to hear that place you mentioned is quite honest.

Longblades
November 8th, 2007, 01:04 PM
Incredible the Vet was unaware of this condition. Maybe you would like to provide him/her with a copy of the article in the link. http://www.vet4petz.com/articles/urinary_incontinence.htm

Our ESS had that and our Vet. said some breeds, such as spaniels, are particularly susceptible. She was on the Stilbestrol mentionned in the article and it worked just fine.

Maybe you would like this link too. http://www.vetratingz.com/index2.jsp

sammgo21
November 8th, 2007, 01:22 PM
Thanks Longblades. The new vet is awesome, he said they treat many dogs with Propalin for this incontinence. We've up'd her meds to 2 times a day for a total of 1ml per day for 2 weeks and see how that goes. He wants to see if that helps, otherwise it may be a UTI or something else.

He is really great, it was a very positive experience. It's not the same vet that my parents dogs see, but still we are happy.