Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

2 week vacation - take 3 kitties with us?

heather17021977
November 5th, 2007, 08:18 AM
Hi everyone,

My son plays hockey and we are travelling to Quebec City in February for a tournament which will be about 2 weeks in duration. We are driving. Does anyone have any advice on whether to bring the kitties with us or leave them home? We usually have a family member drop in when we're gone for a weekend but this is really long!

They are very attached to us and I think they would really miss us. It would be about a 12 hour car ride for us...any suggestions?

PS - They are pretty good in the car, dont get upset or sick or anything.

badger
November 5th, 2007, 08:54 AM
I'd find someone to stay at your house, if at all possible, even though I was once gone for ten days and had a friend come in daily to feed and play with my boys. Do you really want the hassle of three cats when you could be visiting Quebec City and watching your son play? You'd probably have to leave them in the hotel room for fairly long periods anyway. Cats are always better off in a familiar environment, unlike dogs, who are more attached to their humans than to place.

want4rain
November 5th, 2007, 09:23 AM
its been twice a year (until last year) we leave our cats for two weeks. they sleep on the suit cases when we are packing, they puke in the laundry baskets and go on a general terror streak the few days we are packing.

while we are gone they climb on the counters, they barf in our shoes and meow all night long.

when we come home they all flock to the door a chorus of MEOWS then ignore us for two days.

we started off having someone stay at the house for the two weeks. when it was torture for them, we went to having someone stop in every day and pay special attention to the litter boxes. thats gone over better for our house sitter.

NOW our DINK (dual income no kids) parents can come visit us. :)

taking the cats out of the house always results in loads of loss fur, extra puking and seriously ticked off cats. :)

-ash

ancientgirl
November 5th, 2007, 09:31 AM
I've never been gone for any kind of vacation since I've had mine, but I would be afraid to take them to a strange hotel with me. What if room service came in unaware you had cats and they got out?

It sounds like it would be safer and less stressful for them if you just had someone stop by your house once or twice a day to check on them.

bendyfoot
November 5th, 2007, 11:42 AM
If it were me, I'd look for a reliable, insured and bonded pet-sitter who will come to your home once (ideally twice) a day to feed and play with them. Ask your vet or other pet people you know for referrals, and don't hesitate to ask the person to come to your house first for a meet-n-greet (ours insisted, on doing this, in fact, which made us feel so much better about our decision). Now when we're gone for more than a day, we give "Auntie Sue" (who's become a true pack/family member for our gang) a call and rest easy knowing all five of our furbabies will be happy while we're gone.

CearaQC
November 5th, 2007, 12:19 PM
Yeah it's hard traveling with cats, especially in the car.

We used to take our cats with us from Montreal to where we are now for 2 week vacations before we moved here. The cats always hated that long car trip. Nosey :rip:, would stand around and look out the window, while Linx would cry and cry, and nothing could make him feel better.

Another time, after the Christmas 2 week trip, Nosey howled more than usual about an hour into the drive and pretty soon we smelled something utterly foul. One of the family members we were staying with loved to feed people food to all animals, and without my permission, gave Nosey some salty roasted chicken or something and he proceeded to let loose the most horrid loose stools I've ever encountered. :eek: :yuck: No wonder the poor thing meowed funny. :laughing:

So I agree, leave kitties at home and have someone take care of them. It sucks that they tend to ignore you after you return home, but things get back to normal real fast.

happycats
November 5th, 2007, 12:26 PM
I think the best and safest place for cat's is at home. They don't usually do well with change and travel.

As the others suggest, get a great pet sitter, to come in and look after them.
I usually entice a family member to actually stay at my place when I'm gone.
(stock the fridge and cupboards, and provide satellite TV) works like a charm:D

chico2
November 5th, 2007, 03:59 PM
If you have a relative or friend who does not mind staying at your house,it is the best thing.
We just came back from vacation and my son stayed here with my 3 cats,everything was fine when we came back.
I could never leave them with someone who just comes in once a day..
Also a hotel is not safe for 3 cats,they could easily escape,when house-keeping comes in.

krdahmer
November 5th, 2007, 05:31 PM
I'm visiting my mom's cats as we speak because they are off galavanting for a few days. And they watch mine when we go away. Cats are almost always homebodies and a lot less stressed at home in familiar environments. I would say ask a family member or close friend to care and visit with them daily while you are away, if possible. (My parents actually have a friend come in the am cause the kitties are used to eating early and i'm lucky to get up before 10... and I come at night to stay and hang out and talk to them/watch tv/scoop the poop.) You could split it up between a couple people as two weeks is a lot sometimes to ask of one person.

I have also travelled with my cats (Fagan was on meds and my sitters-parents, were not comfortable medicating him) but no more than 3.5 hrs, well about 4.5 during a terrible snow storm up to the inlaws and although I have a couple that do travel well, I think 12 hrs+stops is really a lot for a cat. Plus the hotel room safety issue too.

Best of luck and I hope its a fun tournement!:)

growler~GateKeeper
November 5th, 2007, 11:49 PM
I think it also would be best to leave the kitties home w/someone staying there with them.

Not only is the escaping from Hotel room an issue but so is escaping from the car while stopping for gas etc - unless they are crated for the whole 12+ hours which would be way too much time spent in a cramped spot for them.

heather17021977
November 6th, 2007, 10:29 AM
Thanks everyone,

I think my hubby will probably stay home from the trip...it's just as easy.