Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Yorkie Puppy!

RileyLove
November 4th, 2007, 05:35 PM
Hi everyone! I'm a first timer on this site, and we've just adopted our first puppy! He's a three and a half month yorkie named Riley, but we're having some trouble at home. So far, he listens to the command "sit" but not every time. He also has the habit of biting peoples hands and pant legs, sometimes too aggressively. When the evening hits, he gets hyperactive and barks constantly. Any ideas on what could be the problem? Ignoring him doesnt seem to be working, and we're starting to think that he's pushing his limit to work his way up the pack. We've decided to enroll him in training lessons, but has anyone tried the SuperPet/Petsmart trainers? Any help would be appreciated!

I'm still going through some old posts to try to find some answers for similar problems, so links would be great too!

allymack
November 4th, 2007, 05:43 PM
for the barking in the evening problem, try giving him lots of exercise, about 20-40 mins prior to that, that should help him sleep through that. as for the sit, keep working on it, also remember never to repeat the command, as that will teach him to ignore you, you should say sit, and if he sits reward, if not, lure him into a sit ( use food in your hand at first and put the food in front of his nose and go backwards, he will naturally go in to a sit, then work up to a empty hand lure and soon you wont need a lure) also dont push his bum to the ground or else he might start expecting you to push his butt to the ground when you say sit, instead of doing it himself.and remember to practice it with LOTS of different distractions, it will come to him, it may take a while since he is a puppy. also keep you training sessions short but do them often, and always end on a positive note. good luck :fingerscr :)

RileyLove
December 2nd, 2007, 05:14 PM
thanks for the advice! we've been doing the daily excersize but he seems to be getting worse. Apparently he's in his 'terrible twos' and really wont stop barking and getting into everything. I've moved away for school and my parents have become so frustrated. for such a little dog there's so much energy. He's been enrolled in training classes for a few weeks now, but no progress really. Would a personal trainer be better? I don't want to have to find a new home for Riley, and neither do my parents, but we just had no idea his termpermant would be like this 24/7...

:pawprint:

Thanks for any help!

LavenderRott
December 2nd, 2007, 06:05 PM
Three and a half months = 14 weeks - you have a puppy. That is acting like a puppy. He is a bit young to be expected to sit every time. At this age, just about everything is more interesting then sitting still.

The biting hands and pant legs can be stopped by getting up and walking away, completely ignoring the pup. Although, since moving pantlegs are great fun too - you might try offering a fabulous stuffy every time those little teeth hit the pantleg.

As for the evening hyperactivity - try adding some structure to it. Throw a toy and play some fetch. Or maybe a bit of tug. My mom has a 6 year old greyhound that does this every night. We just get out of the way! :D

Lissa
December 3rd, 2007, 03:46 PM
A puppy is always learning and needs constant socialization, training, exercise and consistency to become a well-adjusted adult!

How much physical and mental exercise is Riley getting? With a puppy, you should turn everything into a training opportunity - when Dodger was a pup, I used the majority of his food as training treats. He never ate from a bowl as a puppy, if it wasn't used for training it was either hidden or put in a treat ball or kong. I also gave lots of RMB's when Dodger was a puppy - helps with teething and boredom (not to mention keeping teethies clean).
With regards to commands, I either lure and reward or shape all new behaviours. There is NO command until the dog is reliably offering the correct behaviour (only then do I put a command).

How is the mouthing now? Redirection tends to work well. Also time-outs or removing yourself from the puppy (canine's quickly realize that all the fun ends when their mouth makes contact with skin). Teach Riley to take things gently all the time now, don't wait... I made that mistake and I'm still paying for it LOL. Hold a treat between 2 fingers, anytime you feel teeth, close your fist or remove the treat. Most dogs will either lick or back away, that's when you offer the treat again. Only let them have the treat if you have NOT felt any teeth.

Self-control exercises should be a big part of Riley's daily life. Work on "wait", "stay", "leave it" (and apparently "enough"/"settle/"quiet" for the barking LOL). The difference that these commands make will surprise you.

Most puppies get into everything, no puppy is born knowing what is acceptable and what isn't. Our job is to set the puppy up for success by managing the situation. Ideally you never want the puppy to self-reward or get in the habit of "getting into things". Tethering the puppy to you often works well - this way the puppy can be easily redirected if he gets into anything and he's also earning his freedom.

Good Luck.

Dogastrophe
December 3rd, 2007, 05:01 PM
Welcome to the wonderful world of terrors ... I mean terriers! You've got 200 lbs of dog jammed into < 10lbs.

I can't add a lot to what has already been mentioned other that to say that most little terriers grow out of their puppy stage when they hit 10 or 12 years old! :crazy:

Work with him, play with him (try to stay away from games that will allow "mouthing"), praise him, and don't be afraid to walk away / ignore him when he is playing "outside" of your rules.

Work on the barking early. Our yorkie x, Jack, will bark with such intensity that his frequency is similar to our doorbell - you can hear the bell hum after he quiets down. His barking was ingrained in him when we adopted him. It has been a long slow process trying to curb it.

Cheers