Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

stray kitties in my garage

beckiandthetrio
November 4th, 2007, 08:39 AM
Hi all--

When I found these kittens I thought of you all first so thats why Im coming here for some advice.

Last nite as I was going inside I saw a kitten run past the window on my garage. I opened up the garage door and found many kittens in there, maybe 5 or so. Mom cat was in there but ran out the window when she saw me, Im hoping she came back though. I did put some food(canned) and some water out there for her/the kittens. Id imagine them to be about 3-4weeks old, not really sure though.

So, my question to you all is what should I do about them? I cant take them into my house cause I already got 3 cats of my own, but at the same time I feel sooo bad for them since its getting cold here in Wisconsin. I do work with a animal rescue(volunteering) so Im going to call them tomorrow and see what they think. Any suggestions though from you all? Thanks in advance.

Becki

happycats
November 4th, 2007, 08:50 AM
The mother and kittens need to get into a foster home, or to a shelter. If not these kittens will become feral and unadoptable. :sad: They need human contact.

Gazoo
November 4th, 2007, 10:57 AM
Contact your local Humane Society. They will have the best advice and options.

badger
November 4th, 2007, 11:28 AM
It will probably make the mother cat a bit frantic initially, but I suggest blocking her escape as soon as she's back inside. By feeding them and visiting them, you have already begun the process of socialization. I really hope you find a foster, it is by far the best solution. In the meantime, if it is getting very cold, you could make them a shelter inside the garage to give them that extra couple of degrees of warmth.

beckiandthetrio
November 4th, 2007, 02:11 PM
thanks for the reply's. I work with a shelter so i am going to ask them its just that with it being sunday and all i couldnt do anything untill tomorrow. I think i will try the whole blocking the escape route if i know that momma is in there and just going in there to help start the socialization process. hopefully i will be able to catch them and provide a better enviornment. Thanks again.

Becki