Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Maks is home!

ancientgirl
November 3rd, 2007, 02:38 PM
Well I just picked Maks up, and he's home. He had another dip treatment this morning and the vet said he was okay to bring home. I've got to take him back next Saturday for another shot and another dip treatment.

I've got him separated from the others in the same area I had Kiska when I first brought her home. I placed Kiska in there with him at first, but I don't think she recognized him. He smells like the dip, and I can't bathe him.

The poor little guy is huddled in the corner of the powder room. I'm sure he's very frightened. He's been in a cage alone for a week, and then to be taken from there and brought to a strange place, with three other cats, two of which are hissing at him must be very traumatic for him. He's had a rough start of it.

I've got a little sleeping cushion for him in there, a small litter box and some food and water, and a few toys. I'll leave him alone for a while and then see if he comes out later around dinner time.

Hopefully he'll be a little more comfortable tomorrow. I may leave him down here to sleep tonight. I don't want to make him more afraid than he already is.

Do you guys think that's the right thing to do? Just let him take his time and come out of his shell when he's comfortable?

Janie123
November 3rd, 2007, 02:45 PM
Oh,yes. He needs time to adjust to his new surroundings. I'd give him space until he seems to feel comfortable with the others. He's been through a lot. A step at a time is best.

chico2
November 3rd, 2007, 05:15 PM
Ancientgirl,for sure,give him lots of time ,I am sure the dippings and the cage really scared him...I think all he needs now is lots of TLC:lovestruck:
Pics please!!

Winston
November 3rd, 2007, 05:41 PM
Lots of TLC and time...just like with Kiska...he may not remember her since he has been thorugh so much! How is Kiska doing today? Is she roaming around a bit more?

What did the vet say about Vlads eye? hope its okay.

Cindy

ancientgirl
November 3rd, 2007, 06:48 PM
He hasn't come out of his spot but for a few seconds to get something to eat, then he ran back again. I did manage to sit in there with him for a little bit, and he let me pet him for a while. His fur is very rough, but I gather that's part of the treatment. The other's aren't really going to that area. I'm guessing they know he's there, but since he's hiding they're leaving him alone.

Kiska is running all over the place. I've been leaving her with Vlad and Oksana to roam the apartment for a few days and they've all been getting along fine. I even caught Oksana playing a little with her so that made me happy.

The vet said Vlad's eyes were fine, they were a little mucusy, but she said it was probably just dust or something. I need to replace the air filters in my small air purifiers. She gave me an eye wash, and told me that I could wash his eyes out with that once a week, and I could also do it to the others. The vet didn't charge me for that, or Oksana's visit, which was nice. Oksana tested okay for no parasites so I was very happy about that. LOL, when I took Vlad out of his carrier the vet's eyes bulged. She couldn't believe how big he is, and Oksana too. My Little Miss is up to 7 pounds, and Vlad is holding steady at a little over 10. Kiska and Maks are about 2 pounds each.

All in all I have three healthy kitties and one getting there little by little.

I may just keep Maks separated from the others until next weekend, when I take him back to the vet. I want them all to be socialized with each other, but I can see its going to take some time for Maks to get better and come out of his shell a bit. And I really don't want to expose the other three to Maks yet because of his skin issue. I just want to make sure he's a little better before they all mix.

I'm going to try and catch him tonight or tomorrow:fingerscr. Hopefully I can get a nice picture of him. His paws are huge, so I think he's going to be a big boy, just like Vlad.

Frenchy
November 3rd, 2007, 07:31 PM
Give it time , they will all get along in time. He's going to the vet again next week ? Unfortunatly , when he comes back , the others will snob him again for a while. :sad: (because of the vet's smell on him) maybe if you rub him with something that has their smell on it before taking him back inside ? Can't wait to see a picture !

ancientgirl
November 3rd, 2007, 07:50 PM
I have to take him back for one more deworming shot and another dip. He smells like the dip stuff, and so does his little area.

I just saw Vlad over there while Maks was out, and I heard no hissing, so I'm thinking once I'm able to allow Maks to roam freely, things will go well.

I have to keep Maks separated from the other three until the vet tells me for sure he's not contagious to them. I feel bad that I have to keep Maks apart from the other three, but one kitty with scabies is easier to treat than four. I also just can't afford for all of them to get scabies right now. I'm tapped out until next pay day on the 15th.

rainbow
November 3rd, 2007, 07:56 PM
Glad to hear you got Maks home. :thumbs up And that Vlad and Oksana are getting along with Kiska. :highfive:

I think you should keep Maks separated from the others until you are 110% sure that all the bugs are gone. Do you know if there are still eggs on him? Does the dip kill the eggs or just the adults? Luckily I've never had to deal with scabies but we did have lice once. :yuck:

Looking forward to lots of pics. :goodvibes:

krdahmer
November 3rd, 2007, 08:01 PM
Aw glad to hear he is finally home. And I'm sure even the powder room is a little overwhelming right now for the little guy, so a week on his own might do him good. Lots of time to sniff around and get his bearings. I hope that the next dip is his last and that no one else gets the critters :yuck: (I really hate bugs and fleas and whatnot!). Can't wait to see pictures! And glad to hear Oksana was checkin out her new sister!

mummummum
November 3rd, 2007, 08:10 PM
This is a :grouphug: for you Ancientgirl. You are doing such a "right thing to do" kinda thing and are so concerned with "doing it right".

You are a good Mum kiddo.

ancientgirl
November 3rd, 2007, 08:27 PM
Thanks everyone for your support.

I just don't want to traumatize him any more than he already has been, and I don't want to put the other three through any of those dips either.

The vet said that they pretty much got all the eggs and adults out after the first dip, but they are continuing just to be sure. She said he's been doing well, so hopefully he won't need but one more.

I also just posted two pictures of him that I was able to get! I posted in the pictures subforum.

growler~GateKeeper
November 4th, 2007, 01:49 AM
Glad to hear Vlad, Oksana & Kiska are gettin' along a bit better :highfive:

Maks won't mind being separated from the others for a while & will help to acclimate V, O & K to M the same way you did w/K when she 1st came home

Glad everything is goin' good :goodvibes:

chico2
November 4th, 2007, 07:05 AM
I am glad Maks seems to do ok,:pray:only one more dip and then you he'll be free to get used to his kitty-loving new home.
Even my cats,who have known each other for years,get a little strange when one comes back with vet-smells.
Got to go look at those pics:cat:

Winston
November 4th, 2007, 07:29 PM
Hi Ancientgirl!

Just thought I would check in on the fantastic four! Is that what you called them? How did Maks do today? A little less leary of things..

Hope all is going good.

Cindy
:thumbs up

ancientgirl
November 4th, 2007, 07:40 PM
Yep, its going to be the Fantastic Four. LOL, although the Dynamic Duo are still running the show around here.

Maks is doing well. Vlad was checking him out a bit more, and he was playing around his little area more. He's not hiding as much.

I have him wrapped up in a towel, on my lap. I decided I wanted to bring him out for a bit earlier, but not expose him to the others, and I figure I'd do the same now in the evening. I want to be able to have him know me and bond with me so this is how I figure I can do it.

But I have to put him back. The smell of the dip is giving me a very bad headache. It's like a sulfer dip or something like that.

He's a great little guy though. I was reading the discharge papers the vet gave me, and I've been reading a bit more about treatments of scabies online. The shot they are giving him next week is one of the newer ways they fight the problem. And it helps them heal faster. I'm going to call again tomorrow, to make sure its a shot and make sure he needs no more dips. If that's the case, I may be able to bathe him next weekend and get this smell off of him. And I can then make sure he can associate with the others.

I haven't allowed them to be in close contact, and the vet said they were in no danger of getting anything since he was dipped twice.

So keep all fingers crossed.

Winston
November 4th, 2007, 08:44 PM
Sounds like he is starting to feel more at home....When your ready to have them all together try putting some baby powder in your hands...and then give each one a few rubs with it....May sound crazy but it makes them all smell the same...I guess wait until the dip smell is of poor Maks..I do this when one or the other has been to the vet...it helps keep them from fighting when they return.

Cindy

ancientgirl
November 4th, 2007, 09:01 PM
That's a good idea actually. I just now noticed I need to watch Kiska. She's been itching around her neck. She was also checked and didn't seem to have scabies, but I may take her in with Maks on Saturday, when he has his shot.

I don't mind saying, I can't wait to bathe him. That stuff is really bad, and its got his whole little area where he's in smelling like that. I was reading that sometimes those dips make the kitties sick, because of the smell and stuff.

I have to say though, he does seem happy and in good spirits. I'll be leaving him in his area tomorrow so I'm hoping the others will come by and visit him.

All of this could have been avoided had a certain vet been a little more proactive and actually done something to treat him.

I almost want to take him back after he's grown a bit and turned into a beautiful cat with a beautiful coat. Then of course I'd have to take back Vlad too and show them how great he looks as well. And Kiska too. Oksana is the only one that was actually taken very good care of when she was their age. Hell, they wouldn't even let me take her home until she was 8 weeks old and had been tested for Feline Leukemia, and had her first round of shots. Not so with these jerks.

It's their loss and my gain.

Winston
November 5th, 2007, 06:40 AM
Ancientgirl! The smell must be bad! My neighbour rescued a yorkie a couple of years ago...she was in bad shape...she had sorcoptic mites which were very similiar to the scabies..They will burrow under the skin and are almost microscopic..she had to do several treatments of the dipping before Princess got well again...she did stink...it was like a sulpher, cortisone type smell...not easy to stand for long time...I think that Kiska may be just dry or getting used to her environment...you know how our bodies change as winter comes along or we move to a place where it is dry? maybe thats all it is..

Wow ! it wont be long before you have the Fantastic Four sleeping at your feet! (or 2 playing with your feet and 2 standing by watching!:laughing:)

Cindy

Love4himies
November 5th, 2007, 07:17 AM
Glad to hear Maks is home and is doing OK. In no time you will have 16 little paws pittering and pattering around the house all night long lol.

ancientgirl
November 5th, 2007, 09:24 AM
Ancientgirl! The smell must be bad! My neighbour rescued a yorkie a couple of years ago...she was in bad shape...she had sorcoptic mites which were very similiar to the scabies..They will burrow under the skin and are almost microscopic..she had to do several treatments of the dipping before Princess got well again...she did stink...it was like a sulpher, cortisone type smell...not easy to stand for long time...I think that Kiska may be just dry or getting used to her environment...you know how our bodies change as winter comes along or we move to a place where it is dry? maybe thats all it is..

Wow ! it wont be long before you have the Fantastic Four sleeping at your feet! (or 2 playing with your feet and 2 standing by watching!:laughing:)

Cindy

It's horrible. But a necessity at the moment. It's only one more week, and hopefully when I take him in, he'll be rid of them and just need the shots. I did give Kiska a treatment of Advantage when I brought her home, so hopefully she's good with that. The itching might be just getting used to the environment.

Oksana is playing with her more, they were chasing each other yesterday, and Vlad licked her little head this morning. So she's fitting in very well. I believe Maks will too, I just have to wait until I can put them together. Vlad went to his little area yesterday and he hissed a few times, but not as much as with Kiska. I'm hoping that just having Maks out there and seen by them will help.

I really should have gotten myself that king sized bed I wanted when I had the money, because I think I'm going to need it. :laughing:

ancientgirl
November 5th, 2007, 09:25 AM
Glad to hear Maks is home and is doing OK. In no time you will have 16 little paws pittering and pattering around the house all night long lol.

I have to say, I'm somewhat lucky. They sleep a good portion of the night. When I go to bed, they're right there with me, and if not they wind up in bed with me in a short time. It's only at about 5:30 that Vlad starts vocalizing he wants breakfast. LOL, he's the only one that does that.

But it'll be nice to know I've always got them there as company, and I'm glad they have each other while I'm gone.

Love4himies
November 5th, 2007, 10:17 AM
You do realize that now you have four brains at work, not just two.:laughing: That means, four times the trouble. One brain does the thinking the other three follows, then it is the next brains turn to think of something to do, etc., etc. ;).

ancientgirl
November 5th, 2007, 10:21 AM
LOL, I was thinking about that last night. As it is I can't have anything breakable on my furniture and I've been thinking about getting shelves to put on the walls, just so I can burn candles and the little buggers can't get to them.

Boy, what have I gotten myself into. The good thing is I spoil them too much for them to plot against me.:D