Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What is "air burying" and why do they do it?

xlator
November 3rd, 2007, 10:04 AM
Hi, All!
My neighbor stopped by to visit and laughed when she saw my dog "air burying". Cinnamon scoops up invisible dirt (I guess she thinks the air has weight and mass enough to hide her food) around her food bowl and then pretends to toss this invisible dirt into her bowl to cover her food. Anybody out there familiar with this behavior?

Jim Hall
November 3rd, 2007, 10:39 AM
my cat and former cats did that all the time

Dracko
November 3rd, 2007, 01:03 PM
Never seen my dog do that but my some of my cats do it a lot. It's always sort of funny to see.

CearaQC
November 3rd, 2007, 02:02 PM
My cat paws the floor a few times like he's digging or moving something around before he tries to drink water from his bowl. After this, he uses his paw to move the bowl around, sloshing water everywhere, and then curls his body around where the bowl is near his back leg and then drinks. It's almost like a ritual. We have to be careful when passing that way to head upstairs. Many a night with all the lights off I head towards the stairs only to hit the bowl with my foot and spill water everywhere. Sometimes the water bowl ends up either in the living room, the dining room, or way out in the middle of the kitchen floor.

When he eats, he uses his paw to take out a piece of food one at a time onto the floor to eat it.

When his food bowl is empty and he's hungry, he'll rub on the cabinet door where the food is stored, look at me, and then whip his head around like he's a kitty version of Stevie Wonder. He'll do it in both directions.

He's one quirky cat. No clue why animals do that. lol But it's funny to watch.

mummummum
November 3rd, 2007, 02:21 PM
Is this like a form a play?

growler~GateKeeper
November 4th, 2007, 01:56 AM
Usually cats do this (never heard of a dog doing it except for want4rains' raw fed dog who actually burys the leftovers for the next meal) to bury their dinner to save it for later & prevent others from finding it - like they would in the wild.

Similar to covering up their litterbox deposits - they do it to hide the evidence that they were there - so nobody finds them.