Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Keeping my kitty thin?

Okami
November 3rd, 2007, 08:24 AM
Hello I was wondering if there was any way to help "tone" my cat a bit, =P I can see he's starting to grow a little belly.
I've switched from free feeding to 2 feedings a day, 1 can per feeding.
=( one of the biggest problems I have is excercising him. I'll be able to play with him for about 5 min before he looses intrest and just sits there =(.
=) thank you for your time

chico2
November 3rd, 2007, 08:38 AM
Okami,how old is the kitty???
2 cans per day sounds to me like a lot of food..
My 3 cats split one small can and they often don't even finish that.
However they have dry food available all day,only one of my cats is slightly overweight.

sugarcatmom
November 3rd, 2007, 01:19 PM
2 of the small (3oz) cans per day sounds about right for most cats (that don't also eat dry). Depends on age, weight, activity level, and just plain old individual metabolism. Lots of variables there, but generally, 6-9 oz of canned food per day is standard. Do you know how much your cat weighs now?

As for getting more excercise, you might just need to experiment with a few different toys. My guy loves the Cat Dancer (http://www.catdancer.com/catdancer.htm). Some cats like to chase a laser pointer. Ping pong balls are another option. Time of day can also be a factor in how playful a kitty is. Maybe try playing before he eats, or in the evening before you go to bed. Do you have a cat tree he can climb? If your cat is older, issues like arthritis need to be considered.

Good luck, and good for you for taking an interest in your cat's fitness.

Love4himies
November 5th, 2007, 12:19 PM
You didn't mention the age of the age of you cat. All my cats prefer different types of toys and play so it may take some time to find out exactly what you kitty likes.

Could be as simple as a mouse tied to the end of a string and you walking around the house with him chasing it, or purchasing a laser light. Throwing a favourite toy up the stairs so he runs after it is great exercise (have lots of toys becuase you may have to go up the stairs to retrieve the toy if he doesn't knock it back down to you). If you don't have stairs, throwing a fur mouse or ball up on a large cat stand so he has to climb to get it is another great exercise.

I have never had an overweight cat in my life and I have never been able to get them to eat the recommended amounts on the food label.

If all fails, how about another cat for him to chase:D?