Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hello from Ohio

ShannonC8
November 2nd, 2007, 09:42 PM
Hello everyone! My name is Shannon and I am from Cinti, Ohio. I have a 9 month old Boxer/Lab mix who just had her first heat cycle. I am a little concerned that she might be pregnant. I am not sure how she got that way (not that I don't how it happens) but I have a fenced in yard and was careful not to let her out, and I don't think any dogs got in our yard, but there is a male boxer that lives directly behind us and I was wondering if it is possible that they could of gotten together through the fence? The reason I think she is pregnant is because her nipples are swollen and they seem to be getting bigger and it feels life she has milk pockets forming. This is my first experience with a female dog that hasn't been fixed. I would appreciate any information. I've read that sometimes dogs go through fake pregnancies?? Thanks for the info!

luckypenny
November 2nd, 2007, 09:49 PM
Hello ShannonC8.

Please take your puppy to a vet asap for confirmation of pregnancy. She is much too young, undeveloped, and still a puppy herself, to be having babies. There are just too many risks. Perhaps you can make an appointment for her spay at the same time.

ShannonC8
November 2nd, 2007, 11:10 PM
Thanks Luckypenny,
That is my plan, but do you think it is possible for her to get pregnant like that? She isn't outside very long and I actually didn't even think about that happening until now. I am hoping that she just has the swollen nipples from being in heat recently. She is a pretty big dog. I would of had her spayed already but we have had some major financial issues happen and my husband lost his job, my car died and that is just the beginning. Now I am really worried about her. She is acting fine, do you know of anything else I can look for? Thanks for your help!