Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Husbands and Hurricanes

Riluke
November 2nd, 2007, 06:04 PM
So here we are preparing for the worst as Hurricane Noel is heading towards us. Much like the last time we got hit (Hurricane Juan) I asked him to go put everything in the yard away and I will head to the store to make sure we have lots of supplies in the house.

Why oh why (much like last time) does he act like there is no storm coming and act like i am over reacting? The last storm knocked a HUGE tree down nearly hitting our house, and blew over two other smaller ones and broke the fence. Halifax was a mess ----you think he would remember this as he was part of the forces called out to deal with the tree clean up.

He frustrates me sometimes !!! :mad: Sure they are calling it a tropical storm now, but they are predicting winds of 100-140 kms an hour!! Power is guaranteed to go out, am I wrong in wanting to be prepared. I guess I am just traumatized from Juan (and that that massive snow storm we love to call White Juan).

So if you need me I will be hiding under the bed, with the boy and the dog ...lol....prepared.

JanM
November 2nd, 2007, 07:08 PM
I phoned my sister in PEI this morning to see if she is prepared - and it seems she is somewhat like your husband! Prepared? no - there's nothing we need to do... Yeah, right -

Originally I would have said it's a "man thing" but since my sister is there too, I can't anymore :laughing:

Seriously, I do hope the storm doesn't do anywhere near what they are predicting! Tuck in and keep safe..

white wrabbit
November 2nd, 2007, 07:18 PM
it is better to be prepared then not at all.:thumbs up. i would do the same thing your doing!! right down to the hiding under the bed..:eek:

breeze
November 2nd, 2007, 07:28 PM
I would be doing everything you are doing!! I hope you will be save and sound with all your perparing.

keep safe :pray:

clm
November 2nd, 2007, 09:17 PM
I'm with you. Better to be prepared. A lot of people don't take mother nature seriously enough.
I hope you make it through safely.

Cindy

Frenchy
November 2nd, 2007, 09:41 PM
Good luck with the storm (and with hubby!) hope it's not as strong as they say.:fingerscr

When is it suppose to "hit" ?

growler~GateKeeper
November 3rd, 2007, 02:42 AM
Hope it doesn't hit land (or very lightly) & all the EastCoasters are safe :fingerscr

chico2
November 3rd, 2007, 09:08 AM
High winds are the scariest thing,I would secure anything that could fly around,always better to be safe than sorry.
If hubby is not worried do it yourself,he might thank you after
We had a tornado going right down our street one year,broke off 7 feet of our blue spruce in the frontyard,scary!!
I hope it's not as bad as predicted,stay safe:pray:

breeze
November 3rd, 2007, 11:42 AM
sending you good :goodvibes::goodvibes::goodvibes::goodvibes: in hopes that everything is ok with you and your family, stay safe..:grouphug:

Riluke
November 3rd, 2007, 12:12 PM
Well, to humor his 'overreacting' wife, he put everything away that was outside and I ran to the store for water/snack/supplies. The winds have started but it is not supposed to get bad until tonight.

Environment Canada apparently is overreacting too...:D:

Dangerous winds developing today and continuing tonight with gusts exceeding 100 km/h.

Dangerous post-tropical storm Noel will approach Nova Scotia today and track across the Bay of Fundy tonight reaching the Gulf of St Lawrence Sunday morning. The main threat with this storm will be potentially damaging winds..Heavy rain and pounding ocean waves.

Gusty easterly winds up to 100 km/h will develop during the day over the mainland. Les Suetes winds gusting to 150 km/h are forecast tonight..Elsewhere winds will become southwest with gusts from 100 to 120 km/h with 140 km/h possible over some coastal areas. These winds could lead to downed trees and power lines leading to power interuptions and cause damage to roofing and cladding material on some homes.

Maybe it won't be so bad, but at least I am prepared. Hoping for the best here on the East Coast!! :fingerscr

rainbow
November 4th, 2007, 01:42 AM
:grouphug: :pray: :fingerscr :fingerscr :goodvibes: :goodvibes: :goodvibes:

Riluke
November 5th, 2007, 07:15 AM
Happy to update we are all fine here in Halifax :).

We only lost power for 12 hours from 1:00 am until about 1:15 pm. We have lots of supplies on hand and nothing was destroyed or blown away. ALthough a phone line snapped (not ours) and landed just in front of our driveway. All in all very minor.

Lots of power lines and trees down, there are still people without power but they say it should all be restored by 6:00 pm tonight.

breeze
November 5th, 2007, 08:18 AM
I'm glad that you and your family are ok,
saw the storm on the news, 113k winds :eek:
see it pays to be prepared, then nothing happens :D

growler~GateKeeper
November 5th, 2007, 11:36 PM
Happy to hear everyone & everything is good :thumbs up