Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Question on Ottawa Kennel Club upcoming Dog Show

Lili
November 2nd, 2007, 12:21 PM
Around 10 years ago, I went to a dog show at the Ottawa Civic Centre. I was looking to adopt a Doberman puppy but ended up meeting a lady who needed to place a 2 1/2 year old dobe. That dog was the light of my life. She was a show dog, therefore, well socialized, trained, etc... So it was a very positive experience for me. I was really looking for a puppy since Dobermans can have a bad rep - therefore I wanted to be really involved in socializing and training the pup from an early age. But I was truly lucky to find a Cadillac of a dog - trained, out of the puppy stage, etc.! :D

A year has now passed since my dobe was pts, and I'm beginning to feel ready to open my heart for a new dog. I'm considering adopting an older dog, for the reason mentioned above.

My question is if any of you know or have experience with the following show:

http://www.ottawakennelclub.ca/OKCprlFALL2007.pdf

I'm just wondering what breeds will be represented; if I would get the chance to speak with breeders, etc. I'm not that familiar with dog shows and do not know if they are all structured the same way.

Thanks!

mafiaprincess
November 2nd, 2007, 01:28 PM
Should be a fairly large show. I was goign to go. But there are 5 dog events conflicting that weekend for me, along with work.. so sadly I can't do anything. Almost everything here is unbenched. So you would need to know when dobermans show to try to catch breeders and exhibitors as they leave the ring to talk to them.

Show closed october 30th.. In a few days the judging schedule will go up. It will tell you how many males finished and unfinished and females finished and unfinished will be at the show on what days, and what times.

http://ontario.canuckdogs.com/shows.htm
When it goes up.. you can keep checking, it will be kemptville, at the very bottom of all the info about it it links the premium, and the judging schedule is unclickable.. eventually it will go live and you can see what the entry is like.

Lili
November 5th, 2007, 02:30 PM
Thanks a lot mafiaprincess for your input! :)

FYI, I'm still not sure what breed my next dog will be... LOVED my Doberman, but oh-what-a-shedder-she-was... :laughing:

Also, I've got a new house; new hardwood floors... That's a concern for the time being (if I get another large dog) as what I paid for that hardwood is still-oh-so-fresh in my memory! :)

I know I'll have to compromise at some point - less shedding, but frequent clipping needed, or, more shedding, from a dog with a temperament I know and love, but with the high probability it would damage my floor, or... :confused:

That's why I'm also looking at Whippets... That breed seems to posses a lot of the things I love in a dog. They do shed, but way less that dobes, are intelligent and trainable, but probably not as easily as my dobe was, they are more portable than a dobe... :laughing:

K, went way off track there! :D

But won't any breeders have booths for marketing and education purposes for the public? Or do I literally have to run after them to get more info?

Thanks for the link! I'll be checking periodically!

mafiaprincess
November 6th, 2007, 12:57 AM
I haven't been to a show where people had booths.. businesses have sometimes rescues. But for breeds, not really. You literally have to track down the breeds/ breeders/ handlers you are looking for. Almost anyone I've come across is happy to talk to you when done in the ring. But they are their for them and their dogs.. not to promote their breed other than by showing them. So if you find people, they'll likely talk your ear off.. but they won't be actively looking for the public to promote their breed without prompting.