Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How do I do SubQ's?

Janie123
November 2nd, 2007, 10:25 AM
Pepper seems so much better since the vet did the SubQ on him. I want to learn how to do them. How often do they get done? Where do I get the IV's for them? My vet wants 15$ a bag. I think I can do this and he seems to feel better since he had the first one.:shrug:

bendyfoot
November 2nd, 2007, 10:35 AM
It's not that hard to do a sub Q treatment, although it can feel kind of icky the first few times if you're not used to giving your pet needles of any kind. You need to get the equipment (needles, lines, bag of fluids) from your vet and have a technician sit down with you and Pepper to show you how to do it properly, how much fluid to give, and how often. Fluids can indeed be really helpful for our pets when they're not feeling well.

sugarcatmom
November 2nd, 2007, 10:50 AM
Good for you for wanting to be proactive about this!! Start by reading these websites:

http://www.felinecrf.com/links0.htm#3
http://www.weirdstuffwemake.com/weird/stuff/pets/cats/sophia/catjuice.html

You might find it scary at first, but it DOES get easier, and it's important to keep a positive attitude so that your cat doesn't pick up on your fear. To quote a comment on the second website:

Try and relax and think about how much better your cat will feel being properly hydrated, and how much you love your cat and how good it is that you are able to do this loving thing FOR her. It's like buying a nice refreshing beverage for a very thirsty friend. It's a GOOD thing. If you go into the sub-Q session with a relaxed, confident, loving attitude, your cat will pick up on this and will likely be much more relaxed and confident also.

Is there someone who can give you a hand at first? I found it easier with another set of hands helping me. Also, try to track down 20 gauge Terumo needles, they'll be much more comfortable than the fat 18 gauge (or worse) needles the vets tend to supply.

As for how often to give fluids, discuss that with your vet, but I personally found it better to give smaller amounts more frequently than a large amount all at once. You might start out with every 2 or 3 days and then go from there.

Good luck, and if you have questions as you go along, there are lots of people here who can help.

shredy
November 2nd, 2007, 12:17 PM
It is so easy to do once someone can show you how. I agree, you can get the needles (you can ask for 20 gauge), lines and bags from your vet, then pick a spot in your house where you can hang the fluids up so you have both your hands. They need gravity to go in, so they need to be above the kittie with enough slack so that if he wiggles the line will not come out. You have to "prime the line" this means that you open the clamp to let the fluids run through the line until they start to come out the end. (do over sink or trash can so you don't make a mess) This way you don't run air into your kittie. You take the skin right between their shoudler blades and pull up making a tent. This way when the needle goes in, it is going under the skin and not into muscle or bone :eek: Have the vet or a tech show you how to insert the needle. After that just give some treats and love until the fluids have gone in. The amount and frequency of fluids should be decided by your vet. Hope this helps and good for you, he will be much happier doing this at home than having to go to the vet every few days. :grouphug: