Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dandruff

luckypenny
November 2nd, 2007, 09:57 AM
Lately I've noticed that both Penny and Ava have dry dandruffy skin on their backs (too difficult to tell with Lucky as his coat is much lighter). It's not excessive, no scratching/itching, but it's still there. Their coats though are soft and super shiny. They're fed raw and supplements of vitamin E, coconut and safflower oils, as well as raw eggs, are added to their breakfasts 5x per week. Either kelp or Seameal is added as well to their dinners also 4-5x per week. They also get fresh salmon, sardines, mackerel, or tilapia 1x per week. Is the dandruff a sign that I'm missing something? Or perhaps the air is too dry?

ancientgirl
November 2nd, 2007, 10:33 AM
I can only imagine that like us animals can get dry skin too. I know when the weather gets cooler my skin tends to dry. Maybe a different shampoo might help?:shrug:

badger
November 2nd, 2007, 10:45 AM
Gosh, that is a princely diet. Just a thought, but have you considered that you might be oversupplementing?

breeze
November 2nd, 2007, 11:13 AM
I was told, when we had coby, rotti/dobbie mix and he had the same problem was that it was do to electric heating.. As soon as the heaters went on in our house it would get worst..
the vet told be to add vitamin E to his diet, and to change the shampoo I was using to a very high moiturizing one.. and to brush him often....

It helped somewhat but he would still get flakes.. we also tried a humidifier to add moisture to the house, like before it did help somewhat..

luckypenny
November 2nd, 2007, 11:29 AM
Gosh, that is a princely diet. Just a thought, but have you considered that you might be oversupplementing?

:o

It was a thought but after re-researching, I'm actually giving less than the daily recommended amount. 200iu vit.E, 1/2 tsp each coconut and safflower oil, and 1 raw egg instead of meat added to their breakfast :shrug: .

Breeze, I was thinking about a humidifier as well. Even though we have a gas furnace, I find it still gets pretty dry when we turn it on.

As for shampooing, they only shower in the summer unless they get unusually dirty :rolleyes: when the weather gets colder and, even then, we use a hypo-allergenic brand.

Am I making it difficult with my responses :o :D ??

breeze
November 2nd, 2007, 11:40 AM
try and keep the himidity around 55 % they seem to like it around there, less static too.. I would shampoo coby only when I found the flakes getting really bad in the fall/winter.. I use an extra moisture shampoo that seemed to help. and the vitamine E I found the hypo-allergenic shampoo would dry out his skin so we switched

growler~GateKeeper
November 3rd, 2007, 01:18 AM
With Cally he had dry skin but also had flea allergy dermatitis, I found his skin much better - less flakey & less itchy when supplemented with Omega 3 fatty acids :thumbs up I bought the supplements by Vet Solutions

Hogansma
November 3rd, 2007, 02:05 PM
Do they by any chance lay by a fireplace? My dogs have developed this too in the past and it's always this time of year. They like the fireplace but I moved their beds far away from it.

Ford Girl
November 3rd, 2007, 04:40 PM
Dazy's flakey right now too, and she too has a good diet. I think it'a the time of year, the dryness. I noticed myself putting on more chapstick and after shower lotion, I would imagine its the same for dogs - dry from the dryer weather?

rainbow
November 3rd, 2007, 07:16 PM
I think it's the drier air this time of year as well because you hear lots of people mentioning this in the fall/winter months once the furnace gets turned on. Do you use those 3M pleated filters? The guy that installed our furnace this year said they are the best. I've also heard people say that they give their dogs Vitamin C for the itchy skin and swear it helps. :shrug: I would use the Ester C though. :)

luckypenny
November 3rd, 2007, 07:35 PM
I'm thinking it's the dryer air too. At least I'm hoping it is. The level's at 40 here so maybe I'll pick up a humidifier and see if it helps.

Yes, Rainbow, we do use 1250 3M filters (heard they made higher performance rated ones but have been unable to find them so far) because of my older son's allergies. The pups get 600mg esterC daily :o .

t.pettet
November 3rd, 2007, 08:45 PM
Besides the supplements etc. etc. a thorough brushing with a bristle brush every 2 days will activate and dispurse the natural oils in the skin through the coat, a slicker will then remove alot of the dry flaky dandruff.

hazelrunpack
November 3rd, 2007, 08:46 PM
:D If you get predominantly white dogs, like hazel, you never see the dandruff, so it doesn't worry you! :laughing:

Penny and Ava can come here, for the naturally moisturizing setter spittle treatment. :thumbs up Guaranteed to clear up dandruff in 10 days! :dog:

When can we expect you? :p

luckypenny
November 3rd, 2007, 09:26 PM
Besides the supplements etc. etc. a thorough brushing with a bristle brush every 2 days will activate and dispurse the natural oils in the skin through the coat, a slicker will then remove alot of the dry flaky dandruff.

Is a bristle brush one of those really soft ones? Good idea.

luckypenny
November 3rd, 2007, 09:27 PM
When can we expect you? :p

:frustrated: Tease!

growler~GateKeeper
November 4th, 2007, 01:39 AM
Is a bristle brush one of those really soft ones? Good idea.

Yes there are:

http://www.pet-supplies-review.com/brushing-a-dog.html

For Dogs with Short Coats: Use a soft-bristled brush, which will easily remove dead hair and help spread bodily oils over your dog's coat, creating a healthy gloss. Bristle brushes have soft straight bristles on a flat base. Because this design doesn't penetrate as deeply as others, it works best for short coats.

t.pettet
November 4th, 2007, 07:48 PM
Pet Supply House has a great bristle brush thats as good on the long coated breeds as well as the short: pg. 23 (1) MP Supreme Brush, large oval pure boar bristle - $53.95 but worth every cent. It eliminates tangles, removes excess coat, loosens dry flaky skin and distributes natural oils. I have this compulsive/obcessive customer who wants her golden bathed every month - can you imagine how 'crispy, semi-bald and itchy' the dog would be so rather than trying to make her understand the perils of her request I just give Brandy a very thorough brushing once a month, she looks like a totally new dog, a shiny luxurious flowing coat. Her mum thinks she's just had her monthly bath;)

luckypenny
November 4th, 2007, 08:27 PM
I'll definitely look into that brush. Thank you :) .