Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog and baby in the car together

TracyG
November 2nd, 2007, 08:50 AM
hello! It's been awhile since I have posted but I am looking for some suggestions/tips on the above situation. I have a 2 year old golden retriever who is quite well behaved. When we travel in the car with her, she sits in the backseat, wears a harness and is belted in. She's always travelled like this and is quite used to it. My question is....I am expecting our first baby in a couple of months. What are the recommendations for travelling in a car with both a baby and a dog? Is it safe for both of them to be in the back seat together? Obviously, the baby can't go in the front seat. Should I put the dog in the front seat??? If any of you have any suggestions or had a similar situation, I'd appreciate the advice. I don't have a van by the way so putting them in different rows, while an ideal solution, isn't an option at the moment.

Winston
November 2nd, 2007, 09:09 AM
I dont see why you would need to change it? but you may have to get your doggie used to it thats all? Although I dont have children..someone else may have a different opinion..

Good Luck with your new arrival!

Cindy
:thumbs up

Riluke
November 2nd, 2007, 10:40 AM
I have a puppy and a six year old and right now I have a hard time putting them together in the back seat. Mainly becuase he is a big puppy and has decided he wants to look out my son's window. I'm am sure with time we can train him, but I think I would be nervous with a dog and a baby.

I think I should clarify that I would be nervous, not because the dog would intentionally hurt a baby, but they may lick, or swish with their tail..etc. Hurt them by doing something that is normally harmless.

Winston
November 2nd, 2007, 10:43 AM
I think the dofference is her dog is using a seatbelt so he would not be moving freely throughout the car..

want4rain
November 2nd, 2007, 10:58 AM
try this-

set up the car seat, stick a pumpkin in the seat and put a bit of double sided tape on it. no so much that it wont come out of the seat but enough where you can catch a bit of under fur in it. then you can gauge how often your pooch wiggles her bum and tail over there. :laughing:

i dont see any issues with babies and dogs in seats together. you can probably even get a mesh to go over the car seat of flying fur is an issue. *shrugs* just use yoru head, babies at 4 months can handle more of life than a new born.

-ash

Riluke
November 2nd, 2007, 11:04 AM
I think the dofference is her dog is using a seatbelt so he would not be moving freely throughout the car..

We have Luke in a seat belt too, but in a small car with a big dog, there really isn't much space. They can still lean in and lick :p. or put his/her paws up on the seat or the child. I am naturaly a paranoid type and it may not be a problem for her...but you just never know (see paranoid)

TMac
November 3rd, 2007, 06:45 PM
Hi there

We have a 3.5 year old Golden who rides in the back seat normally. He doesn't have a seatbelt right now (I loaned it to a friend to train with her puppy), but I was just thinking I'll have to get it back...

Anyways, I have a newborn baby and just had the occasion to have them both in the car when I was alone driving. Because I couldn't supervise, I put the dog in the front seat and baby was in his carseat in the back.

I think if someone was in the back to supervise, then it would be ok to have the dog and baby back there together. Its a little cramped for my big dog though since the car seat is in the middle and it doesn't leave a ton of room for a 85 lb dog!

TMac

mummummum
November 3rd, 2007, 07:51 PM
The very fact that you are asking tells me that you are afraid of your dog and how she might react to the baby.

That's okay, there are dog people and ... not dog people.

But you have a dog and that is a commitment for life.

There really is NO reason to be afraid and there are tons of resources. Here is one: http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/introducing_your_pet_and_new_baby.html

TracyG
November 5th, 2007, 08:54 AM
Excuse me??? I am not "afraid" of my dog! My dog is great and is a great traveller. I just thought that this would be the best place to ask for people's opinions and experiences before the baby arrives! I thought it was being 'Smart" to ask. I certainly didn't need to be told that I am "afraid" of my dog and not a dog person!!

I just wanted to know what other people in my situation did. That's all.

Thanks to the rest of you...

Love4himies
November 5th, 2007, 10:50 AM
I don't have a dog so I can't offer any advice, except the child's safety must come first and you can't be supervising while you are driving so I would play it safe and put the dog in the front with me if possible.