Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Raw Chicken with bones?

Ford Girl
November 1st, 2007, 09:53 PM
Hi, quick question, I went to buy Dazy some raw frozen beef or bison or elk bones, I usually get the large shank shaped ones, and serve them frozen, she's kinda a power chewer, but they were sold out. So the lady gave me a pack of raw free range hormone free non medicated BC chicken carcases, frozen. Do anyone feed these to their dogs? I was raised in the notion thay chicken bones are bad for dogs, and I understand now, or rather people say they are only bad if they are cooked. I'd still like to know what people think. They were cheap too, $3.50 for the pack and large enough for my pooch. I know she'd like them.

And, how much less kibble would you give her in exchange for the bone/chicken?

Cheers!

JanM
November 1st, 2007, 10:28 PM
Interesting you should post this today - because today, for the very first time, I gave Bobby and Amber raw chicken necks and backs for their supper!

They loved them and had no problems at all. I did read on this forum that some feed raw chicken - and that cooked chicken bones are dangerous - so I thought I'd try the raw...

Their supper consisted of raw veges and the raw chicken. Bobby couldn't handle raw meat when I tried it a couple of years ago so we'll see how well he tolerates this but so far so good..

luckypenny
November 1st, 2007, 10:47 PM
I feed whole chicken to my girls and guy and they have no problems with it. However, when I first began to feed it to them, they had some difficulty digesting the bone. I had to start by grinding the neck, then just using a mallet to mash it down, until they graduated to eating whole chicken. I don't know if it's because their systems were just not used to digesting bone (after switching from kibble) but they're all fine with it now.

If Dazy tends to gulp her food without much chewing, perhaps it might be better both thawed and mashed down as well to start.

mafiaprincess
November 2nd, 2007, 01:09 AM
Smudge eats necks and backs. First neck took him like 20 minutes.. after a few.. he eats it in like a minute. Backs still take him some time though. Like a little piranha when he sees raw food come out he wants it so badly.

Ford Girl
November 2nd, 2007, 08:49 AM
This is more as a bone to chew then part of her feeding, it's basically a whole chicken with the breast meat removed, picture a little chicken spread eagle. It's kinda big. I wonder if these are intended to be a meal portion rather then a bone to chew?

I was thinking frozen so it would last longer, but do people think thawed is better? She doesn't really gulp her food, but she doesn't take her time either.

luckypenny
November 2nd, 2007, 10:33 AM
This is more as a bone to chew then part of her feeding, it's basically a whole chicken with the breast meat removed, picture a little chicken spread eagle. It's kinda big. I wonder if these are intended to be a meal portion rather then a bone to chew?

I was thinking frozen so it would last longer, but do people think thawed is better? She doesn't really gulp her food, but she doesn't take her time either.

Chicken bones are much softer and smaller than beef bones for example. I don't know about Dazy, but mine don't use it as a chew bone. They simply rip, crunch and swallow. They eat it more quickly and tend to chew much less if it's frozen.

If either the carcass or whole chicken weighs between 1-2 lbs (450-900g), it's an entire meal for them. Depending on Dazy's weight, you may want to cut back on her kibble if you're feeding her the chicken on any particular day. If her weight is ideal, or if she's fairly active (which I'm assuming judging by your previous posts :) ) then it's no big deal, feed her regular amount of kibble.

want4rain
November 2nd, 2007, 11:26 AM
Mister doesnt like his frozen but will eat it if he is hungry enough. i usually give him a while 4lb chicken and he eats 3lbs for one meal. a thawed chicken takes him probably 15-20 minutes to get through. he wil gnaw on a frozen for 45 minutes or better. :)

the chicken bones are the only ones he has really made it through other than pigs feet and necks. if your dog doesnt have any issues with harder bones, i wouldnt worry at ALL abotu bird bones. they are very soft and almost crumble apart. :)

-ash

Ford Girl
November 2nd, 2007, 12:44 PM
She's very lean and in good shape, very active. I think I will still cut back the kibble, it seems because her food is rich anything else rich added to her diet gives her softer poop, especially a portion this size.

She has no issues with harder bones but when we give her a big beef frozen, she eats the meat and fat and bits and leave the bone bare. She kinda knaws on it rather then bite, rip and chew. With the chicken she would be eating the actual bone. It's just new to her/me. I just get nervous, know what I mean?

luckypenny
November 2nd, 2007, 12:51 PM
... I think I will still cut back the kibble, it seems because her food is rich anything else rich added to her diet gives her softer poop, especially a portion this size.
...I just get nervous, know what I mean?

You may find that because she's digesting bone, this may not occur as bone tends to harden the stool.

Yep, know what you mean. I've been feeding mine raw for about 3 months now and I'm still a little nervous about the bones. It just makes me more attentive and I never leave them while they're eating. In the beginning (when I wasn't so sure "leave it" would work), I always had something really delicious, like a big cube of beef, to trade them with if I found they were scarfing any kind of bone too quickly.

Ford Girl
November 2nd, 2007, 01:09 PM
You may find that because she's digesting bone, this may not occur as bone tends to harden the stool.

Yep, know what you mean. I've been feeding mine raw for about 3 months now and I'm still a little nervous about the bones. It just makes me more attentive and I never leave them while they're eating. In the beginning (when I wasn't so sure "leave it" would work), I always had something really delicious, like a big cube of beef, to trade them with if I found they were scarfing any kind of bone too quickly.

Good to know, thanks LP. I am going to try it tomorrow night, I hope it goes well cuz they are cheap and healthy.

Ford Girl
November 6th, 2007, 03:57 PM
Well, she liked it, she was tired from daycare and her enthusiasm was less then it should have been, I think she would have preferred kibble after daycare - no work involved. But she slowly nawed on it and ate the entire thing frozen, bit by bit, took her about 30 mins. There were 2 in the pack, and the other one is thawed now so she gets another tonight for dinner.

I cut her kibble by about 1/4 cup, she was still regular.

I am so happy that there are healthy alternatives for dogs these days. :thumbs up

want4rain
November 6th, 2007, 05:53 PM
just remember she also needs eggs and organ meats to make up a fair bit of her nutrition. also a variety in meats has different values nutritionally.

YAY!!! raw diet is so cool isnt it? seeing Mister SOOOOO happy about eating somethign thats GOOD for him makes me feel like the most successful magician ever. *smug*

-ash

Ford Girl
November 7th, 2007, 12:28 PM
I haven't put her on a raw diet, she eats Orijen kibble mainly, but I do add other natural bits and meat to her diet, she's a lean mean growing machine with super high energy. I would like to go raw maybe someday, it's hard tho cuz the resoprt she stays at won't feed raw and when we go camping there's not enough room in the beer cooler for her food!! LOL!

Chicklet
November 7th, 2007, 04:30 PM
I have feed chicken bones to my dogs all my life and never ever had any troubles,
But I always fed the dog by itself, and only to a dog that ate slowly. Not one that Gulped its food down.

About the third time I fed one of my dogs chicken in the accompany of another dog,
I had to make an emergency run and meet the vet half way,
In a simple moment of feeling pressure by another dog, caused him to gulp and a slight growl, That was all it took to suck a piece in and lodge in his throat.

```
I don't take any chances with any chicken bones no more,
I do think it would kill me if I lost one of my babies to a bone that I gave them.

Just be careful feeding chicken bones, all it takes is a split second to change everything.

want4rain
November 7th, 2007, 07:52 PM
ive thought of that, going away or whatnot, i think that feeding raw most of the time and kibble or whatever is easiest when we are gone is no different than eating McDonalds when you are out on a trip. not the best for you but it does in a pinch. :)

i woudl worry more abotu feeding a 'perfectly balanced' diet along side of part of another diet... did that make sense???? :laughing:

-ash