Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

New puppy....

shredy
November 1st, 2007, 08:29 PM
So I am happy to say that Ricky and I are looking for a new puppy. We talked about this at length and decided that we want to get a puppy since Ricky never got to know Shade when she was a baby. I went today and met a little girl that is soooo sweet. She is a 9 week old golden retriever with the sweetest personality. I want to check with you guys that the situation is ideal before we bring her home though. I have never bought from a breeder before and want to make sure that none of this sounds suspicious.

I have checked around and this is the only available female with a breeder who seems responsible. I did talk to one hobby breeder who only has males left. We had originally talked about getting a female, but may be able to bend on this...

The mother and father live with the breeder. They are her only dogs. She used to breed labs, but fell in love with Goldens and she said that the breeder she got the mother from gave her permission to have one litter. Her mentor is the breeder she got the mother from. The mother and father are AKC and are 3 and 4 years old. She has lineage paperwork for them with eyes, hips, elbows, and hearts on their parents (grandparents of the puppy). She said she is getting the parents certified and will defer part of the cost of the puppy until that is done. (asking 1200, will take 1000 until certs are done). The puppies were raised in the home and are very well socialized. The woman runs a daycare and they have been around the children and her 10-year old son since birth. They already know sit and lie down and are paper trained. The parents are sweet, mom is little (about 55-60 lbs) lighter coloring, jumps alot, but listened well when the woman told her to sit and lay down. The father is bigger (about 75 lbs) and a huge love bug, soulful sweet eyes and beautiful coat. The puppies look well taken care of, nice coats, playful, but gentle, eating a grain free organic food. The woman has offered to puppy sit for me while we are away 1 week after christmas for no charge. We would not have boarded her, but I may not have been able to leave town otherwise. She has done their first set of shots and deworming with a vet check up (showed me paperwork) Ok, so I think I have covered everything, I wish I had taken pictures so i could show you, but she is going to email them so I will pass them along, in the meantime you can see them here

http://classified.ocregister.com/Classified/resultsWrapperImage.jsp?photoCode=0008485425-01

Frenchy
November 1st, 2007, 08:39 PM
They're adorable ! :cloud9: Did she ask YOU questions ? Or is she selling to anyone who wants a puppy (guess this is how you can see if she's serious , if she cares where they're going ?)

Frenchy
November 1st, 2007, 08:39 PM
Oups , I'm sorry ! I meant to say this too : congratulation !!!!

shredy
November 1st, 2007, 08:42 PM
She asked me lots of questions, where we live, training techniques, where the pup would live (obviously inside) Apparently she had denied a couple people who wanted the puppies for breeding (they would have been living in kennels :( ). Aren't they so cute!!!
:cloud9::cloud9:

ancientgirl
November 1st, 2007, 08:53 PM
Those are some adorable puppies! Congratulations!

hazelrunpack
November 1st, 2007, 09:13 PM
The family shot is precious! :cloud9: When will you know if you're getting her?

shredy
November 1st, 2007, 09:19 PM
Thanks everyone! Hazel, we are going to see her again tomorrow after Ricky gets off work. I didn't think it would be fair to make the decision without letting him meet her first. I am so excited I can hardly stand it!!!!

hazelrunpack
November 1st, 2007, 09:28 PM
Good luck, shredy! Congratulations! I can't imagine him not falling in love with her. :grouphug:

growler~GateKeeper
November 2nd, 2007, 01:08 AM
Congrats Shredy :thumbs up They look adorable :cloud9:

rainbow
November 2nd, 2007, 02:23 AM
Congratulations....they are so adorable. :lovestruck: Which one in the group photo is yours? I love the family pic with mom licking one of her babies. :cloud9:

shredy
November 2nd, 2007, 02:30 AM
If you look in the one where they are on the blue tarp, the two sitting up in the back, she is looking straight on with the red collar. She is such a lover, I got so many kisses today and then she fell asleep on my lap :cloud9::cloud9:

rainbow
November 2nd, 2007, 02:53 AM
Well, Ricky is obviously going to fall in love with her too :lovestruck: ....do you get to take her home tomorrow? :goodvibes:

Love4himies
November 2nd, 2007, 07:58 AM
Oh they are so adorable how can you pick just one?:cloud9::cloud9::lovestruck:

Congrats!

chico2
November 2nd, 2007, 08:52 AM
OMG,I am so happy for you and a little jealous,this little girl will have a wonderful home,Congrats!!!

shredy
November 2nd, 2007, 01:00 PM
Thanks everyone, I am so excited to go and see her again today. If Ricky loves her too (how could he not?) we can take her home today, I'll take the camera today so you can see pictures. The only thing that is hard is the $$$$ but since I am graduating from nursing school in december she will be our present to me :party:

I am supposed to be writing a paper that is due on Monday, but I can't focus!!!! All I have been doing is trying to decide on puppy names.

So, any suggestions from you guys? We want something unique, I would love some inspiration :dog:

I figured out that I will never stop missing Shade, and I have so much love to give another dog that I know it is time.

ancientgirl
November 2nd, 2007, 01:33 PM
Since your last pup was Shade, how abut Sunny for the new one?

Love4himies
November 2nd, 2007, 01:35 PM
I am so excited for you! Concentrate on that paper, though.

How about Sif, the wife of Thor, who had the most beautiful golden hair. Myth has it that a trickster snuck into her bedroom and cut off her hair, Thor order him to replace it and he did with very finely woven gold.

Ford Girl
November 2nd, 2007, 02:40 PM
Oh my, I want one too! I dont know how you did it - going to see them and not taking one on the spot or commiting to it right there!!! LOL! :cloud9:

They all look so cute, fluffy little balls of teeth andfur and drool and spunkiness! hahah! Oh puppies...so much work, and so worth it! And you couldnt find a better breed. :rolleyes: :lovestruck:

I like the name Clover, but Sunny is a good name too. We almost called Dazy Kitty...LOL!

shredy
November 2nd, 2007, 02:47 PM
I love the name Clover, we could call her Chole for short, another one we thought of is Jersey. I like Sif, but it is too close to sit (I think it might confuse her) Sunny is very cute, but I have a friend named Sunny, she might be mad at me :)
Trust me, it was very hard to leave without one, but since Ricky didn't get to be involved with Shade's baby days I want him to feel like he has a part in this. They only have one girl and one boy left so we have to decide tonight...

breeze
November 2nd, 2007, 07:33 PM
ooo a puppy !! and lots and lots of puppy picture I can't wait and you are the one getting the puppy lol lol

As for a name I always want to keep it simple, not to long cause you will have to shorten it anyway. ( exspecialy when they do something they are not supose to do) lol lol lol.

congrats to you on the new puppy and looking forward to pictures and more pictures..:goodvibes::goodvibes:

otter
November 2nd, 2007, 08:25 PM
I keep a little list of my current fav. doggie names beside my computer here and since I remember (hopefully I remember correctly) you having good times with shade at the lake what about the name "lake"?? You'll have a nice reminder of all those good times...

How exciting :goodvibes::goodvibes::goodvibes: (that's jitters in with the good vibes) :D

Winston
November 2nd, 2007, 08:52 PM
Heres a few Misty, Chloe, Honey,Chelsea or even Nika..

Cindy

clm
November 2nd, 2007, 09:02 PM
They're adorable. Congratulations on your new puppy. I'm so looking forward to seeing all the new pics sure to come our way.

Cindy

mummummum
November 2nd, 2007, 09:07 PM
Oh Shredy ~ I'm so PLEASED AS PUNCH for you. I remember when the grrrls came home ~ they were my first pupppies after Tai. Oh-my-oh-my let me tell you ~ the things I had forgotten!

She's adorable ~ looks like a Cally (Calliope) to me.

shredy
November 2nd, 2007, 09:38 PM
So what are the things I absolutely have to have for her??? Besides food water love and shelter ;)

mummummum
November 2nd, 2007, 10:02 PM
Pee pads and newspaper :laughing:

Sorry... :D

luckypenny
November 2nd, 2007, 10:02 PM
Heehee, I love shopping for puppies and doggies :goodvibes: .

Collar and identification tag.
Crate with divider (if you plan on crate-training)
2 bowls
cushions...I prefer the fake lambswool...get at least 2, it'll be easier to launder (or just a bunch of easy to wash blankies)
6' lead

...and now the fun part :goodvibes:

toy box (extra large :D )
puppy Kong
rope toys
stuffies
Kong ball
Wubba
Good Cuz (orange seems to be the preferred color)
Mojo treat ball
Amaze A-Ball (to hide kibble in)
Squeek Bone
Denta Kong
Hard Core Fire Hose dog toys

Those are my favorite I can think of right now. I'm sure others will add to it soon.

mummummum
November 2nd, 2007, 10:06 PM
My grrrlies really like tug-style toys and squeaky toys when they were wee ones.

I might also invest in some Bitter Apple spray/gel for as memory serves they did make a good show at trying take off a good chunk on an antique table leg.

luckypenny
November 2nd, 2007, 10:09 PM
I might also invest in some Bitter Apple spray/gel for as memory serves they did make a good show at trying take off a good chunk on an antique table leg.

Oh yeah, I forgot the "not-so-fun-stuff" :o :laughing: .

Don't forget the Nature's Miracle to clean up after any accidents.

breeze
November 2nd, 2007, 10:09 PM
don't forget puupy shampoo, oatmeal. and a brush and toothbrush :D

luckypenny
November 2nd, 2007, 10:11 PM
:laughing: ...and a frisbee...and a kiddie pool...

shredy
November 2nd, 2007, 10:20 PM
:laughing::laughing::laughing: You guys are great, before I am done my credit cards will be maxed out on dog toys!!! I always got Shades toys from the thrift store, great stuffies for 50 cents instead of $8.... But I definitely need to get some good teething toys to save my shoes and furniture. Off to the store first thing tommorrow!! I already made an appt for a puupy check up with my vet at 11:30 so I will have to get up early. Can I walk her yet or should I wait until she has had her full series of vaccinations? I am going to be tempted to take her to the beach!! But will resist the urge...

breeze
November 2nd, 2007, 10:23 PM
is she at home with you or are you picking her up tomorrow??

just get the essentials then you can take her for her walks and buy new things for her everytime she is a good girl :D

luckypenny
November 2nd, 2007, 10:29 PM
The thrift store is a great idea! You could look for crib comforters to use as blankies while you're there.

When I fostered pups, I always carried them into the vets and held them until they were UTD on at least their 2nd set of vaccines. I also put a small blanket on the examining table so they wouldn't feel the cold, slippery steel under them :o .

shredy
November 3rd, 2007, 02:00 AM
She ours!!!!!!! She has been exploring the house and backyard and has discovered the fan!! She sits in front of it and lets the wind blow in her face. She has been chasing a few toys around and is adjusting really well. We couldn't be happier :cloud9::cloud9: I have been snaping pictures and will upload everything tomorrow. She is such a ball of love, and we have been laughing non stop since she got here. I can't wait to share our adventures with all of you...

growler~GateKeeper
November 3rd, 2007, 02:02 AM
http://bestsmileys.com/bouncing/9.gif YAY Puppy pictures :D
Looking forward to seeing lots of pics after work tomorrow :goodvibes:

growler~GateKeeper
November 3rd, 2007, 02:03 AM
Has she picked her name yet?

hazelrunpack
November 3rd, 2007, 02:19 AM
congratulations on the new addition! :highfive: WoooHooooooo!

shredy
November 3rd, 2007, 02:23 AM
We have narrowed it down to three...

Clover, chloe for short (Ricky's favorite)
Windy (because of her obsession with the fan)
Jersey (suits her too)

I'll see how we feel tomorrow, Ricky is already asleep :sleepy:, it has been a long day for him, and our new baby and I are curled up together getting in some quality snuggle time. I guess we will have to decide tomorrow on the name. I am way too wound up to sleep, i can't stop watching her :lovestruck::lovestruck:

growler~GateKeeper
November 3rd, 2007, 02:26 AM
which do you like best?

have you said the names (like calling her to get her attention) to her to see what her reaction is or isn't to each one?

shredy
November 3rd, 2007, 02:54 AM
So I am in love. She is asleep in my arms while I type this.:sleepy::lovestruck:

She doesn't seem to respond to any of them more than the others, but I think she is just confused. I like Chloe, but since there is another girl from her litter who was named that I am leaning toward Jersey or Windy. You should see her with the fan, I wish I had a video camera:laughing::laughing:

growler~GateKeeper
November 3rd, 2007, 03:12 AM
I can imagine :D

Congrats on your sweetie pie :lovestruck:

chico2
November 3rd, 2007, 08:29 AM
I've always loved the name Chloe:lovestruck:it's very gurly and sweet..
It's morning now,please hurry up and download those pics..:dog:
Don't forget to buy a lotteryticket:laughing:for the long list of stuff this girl just HAS to have:laughing:

ancientgirl
November 3rd, 2007, 11:14 AM
Congratulations. I like Chloe and windy. There's a couple next door to me with a boxer named China, and another nice guy on the third floor with a little puppy named Camilla, which I think is adorable.

I'm looking forward to some pictures.

shredy
November 3rd, 2007, 11:46 AM
So last night was successful, she slept in bed with us and I got her up once to do her business around 4, and then again at 7:30 and no accidents!! She had her first bath this morning and now smells as sweet and pretty as she looks. She has decided this morning that I am not allowed to pay attention to anything but her and barked at me while I made coffee. I will have to make sure to leave in short intervals before Monday when I have school for a few hours. Today I go shopping!! Off to costco to get her new beds, I gave Shade's to the shelter, it was too hard to see them and we didn't have anywhere to tuck them away. Then to the pet store to get all those things that you great people reminded me I need. I thought of one more too... Ear cleaner, hers were a little dirty and I don't want ear infections!!!!! And to the thrift store to get some blankies and stuffies. Then.... PICTURES WILL BE COMING!!!!! But first things first, to the vet to make sure this little one is in top shape. :lovestruck::lovestruck::lovestruck:

mummummum
November 3rd, 2007, 01:24 PM
You should see her with the fan, I wish I had a video camera:laughing::laughing:

Fanny is great and sassy name..a la Fanny Bryce.

And SO???? *taps finger, waggles foot* Where are those pix we were promised?

CearaQC
November 3rd, 2007, 02:15 PM
I'm sooo envious I could almost cry. LOL !!!

Congrats on the new little one. :thumbs up

rainbow
November 3rd, 2007, 07:43 PM
No accidents ......WOW :thumbs up

I love the name Chloe. I also like Zoe and Karma. :)

I bet you're having oodles of fun with her :crazy: ...looking forward to lots of pics. :cloud9:

shredy
November 3rd, 2007, 07:49 PM
So here comes the pictures. I have to admit our no accident streak has ended... But still doing really good for being a puppy. I was with her at the vet this morning, she is perfectly healthy!!!! I then went shopping and she has been enjoying her new toys and beds. Soo, without further a-do...

Heres.... Chloe. The first two are her playing with her stuffed goose and the last one is her letting the fan blow her ears, so funny!!!

shredy
November 3rd, 2007, 07:51 PM
I'm not sure these even need explanation, How cute is my puppy??????!!!!

shredy
November 3rd, 2007, 07:52 PM
She has the prettiest, sweetest face, and always wants to be with us. She is really mellow for a puppy, she plays, but will calm down and hang out too. I am completely in love.

shredy
November 3rd, 2007, 07:53 PM
More of the same, but will you ever get tired of that face? I know I won't

Frenchy
November 3rd, 2007, 07:54 PM
omg Chloe is soooo cute ! :cloud9: her fur seems so soft :cloud9:

Now you do realise you will need to post pictures at least .... one a day until she's .... about 6 months old :D

shredy
November 3rd, 2007, 07:55 PM
Last one, this is her with all three of her new toys, which she loves. She is a fan of the stuffies. Even more than the tennis ball, and is already retrieving like a pro. I can't wait to take her swimming!

rainbow
November 3rd, 2007, 08:03 PM
OMG, what a little sweetheart. :lovestruck: She is absolutely adorable. :cloud9:

luckypenny
November 3rd, 2007, 08:03 PM
I just noticed your quote: "The best way to get it back is to give it away"
Sheri

Alright, hand her over :D . We'll see if it's true :D .

shredy
November 3rd, 2007, 08:15 PM
I just noticed your quote: "The best way to get it back is to give it away"
Sheri

Alright, hand her over :D . We'll see if it's true :D .

Umm... Errr..... ok, you can have her.... But you have to find us first :D

luckypenny
November 3rd, 2007, 08:27 PM
Umm... Errr..... ok, you can have her.... But you have to find us first :D

:frustrated: :p :laughing:

She's too friggen scrumptious :cloud9: . So, what are you gonna check off in the "how many times a day do you kiss your pet" thread :rolleyes: ? :D

breeze
November 3rd, 2007, 08:27 PM
she is soooo cute adorable cuddly soft sweet face :cloud9::cloud9:

now don't let her wrap you around her little paw you hear :laughing::laughing:

ancientgirl
November 3rd, 2007, 08:31 PM
Oh she's absolutely adorable! And she looks soooo fluffy!:lovestruck:

shredy
November 3rd, 2007, 08:53 PM
She is a giant fuzz ball. I gave her a bath this morning and she is soooo soft!! As far as kisses go, I think I am in the one million kisses a day club. I am already wrapped around her paw. I just can't get over how cute she is, I am loving every minute. I haven't smiled this much in a lonnnnnng time. :D

breeze
November 3rd, 2007, 08:55 PM
Doesn't it feel good to smile that much :thumbs up

shredy
November 3rd, 2007, 09:05 PM
Doesn't it feel good to smile that much :thumbs up

YES!!!! I am way overdue for smiles!

hazelrunpack
November 3rd, 2007, 10:00 PM
What a doll! Welcome, Chloe! :grouphug:

Here's another item to add to your list: bicycle gloves. (Cover the palm and back of hand, but the fingers are cut off.) For those teething months. No, really! You'll thank me later! :D

growler~GateKeeper
November 4th, 2007, 02:11 AM
:lovestruck: Chloe is so cute :lovestruck: I wanna give her a kiss right in the middle of her nose & another one between the eyes :cloud9:

chico2
November 4th, 2007, 07:11 AM
OMG,OMG,OMG.......:lovestruck:puppy-love:cloud9:

shredy
November 4th, 2007, 12:36 PM
So another successful night, I woke up this morning and she was on her back, legs spread wide open, sleeping soundly and she didn't wake up until she heard my voice. SHe has been zooming around the house all morning chewing on her toys and a little on me :lovestruck:

here are some more pics...

You can see how fuzzy she is in the first one, and how she loves to nibble on my feet in the second, and more adventures with the fan in the third.

clm
November 4th, 2007, 01:37 PM
She's adorable. Going to be fun to see the pics of her as she grows. I like her colouring. Light but not too light.

Cindy

Love4himies
November 5th, 2007, 08:43 AM
:cloud9::cloud9::cloud9::lovestruck::lovestruck::l ovestruck:

Ohhhhh I am so in love and a wee bit jealous!!

shredy
November 6th, 2007, 06:54 PM
Soo.... question for you guys... Chloe is doing great, eating well, drinking well, firm regular stools, very few accidents, training is going great, BUT, just now I noticed some crusties around the base of her vulva. The skin looks a little irritated too, a little red and raised and some bumps on the skin just above. I guess it could be from urine and so I will use baby wipes to clean her after she pees, but do you think it warrants a vet visit right away or should I wait a day or so and see if it gets better or worse? I took her temp and she is 101.6 so no fever. I think I remember Shade getting a rash on her belly when she was a baby and using a special shampoo the vet gave us for a week to clear it up. Gosh I am a paranoid mom, too much medical knowledge is not always a good thing because I WAY overreact sometimes. I guess I am seeing if you guys think I should jump on this now or give it some time :shrug: Thanks in advance for advice. :p

shredy
November 6th, 2007, 07:21 PM
So in my quick online research it looks like it could be puppy vaginitis, I put a call into my vet to see what he thinks.

breeze
November 6th, 2007, 07:41 PM
Bree had that when she was a puppy, my vet told me that it was from her pee and to keep it clean and dry.. but she what your vet says a phone call is best to see what she says..

shredy
November 6th, 2007, 07:48 PM
Thanks Breeze, I just heard back from my vet who said to keep it clean and he will take a look at it when she comes in for her shots in a week and a half, but doesn't think it is anything serious. Right now she is sleeping on the back of the couch while I study :sleepy::lovestruck: I took some pics and will post them later, soooo cute!!!

wdawson
November 6th, 2007, 07:50 PM
ah very cute puppy.....take a ton of pics.....they grow way too fast:sad:

breeze
November 6th, 2007, 07:51 PM
shredy you are in puppy love for sure lol lol lol lol

sometimes the rash could be what the vets call puppy acne due to the oil glands and the fur growing in that can cause an irration..

hazelrunpack
November 6th, 2007, 09:45 PM
Gosh I am a paranoid mom, too much medical knowledge is not always a good thing because I WAY overreact sometimes.

Here we don't believe you can overreact when it comes to puppies. In fact, we don't believe you can overreact when it comes to grown dogs. Better safe than sorry, and no vet visit/call/consultation is a waste--if only for the peace of mind it can give you. :thumbs up

As you can well imagine, hazel's vet loves her! :laughing: Ka-ching!! :o

Frenchy
November 6th, 2007, 10:38 PM
As you can well imagine, hazel's vet loves her! :laughing: Ka-ching!! :o

:laughing: :laughing:

I wish I had a poster of Chloe , she's too cute ! :cloud9: I am surrended by goldens , I own them , I foster them , but I never had a golden puppy :cry:

shredy
November 7th, 2007, 12:44 AM
:laughing: :laughing:

I wish I had a poster of Chloe , she's too cute ! :cloud9: I am surrended by goldens , I own them , I foster them , but I never had a golden puppy :cry:

I am loving my puppy days with her as I did with Shade, but I have to say Shade's senior years were my favorite.

Hazel, I always err on the side of caution with the health of my babies and I find my instincts to be right in most cases, BUT since Shade was so sick I think I am a little bit paranoid now about Chloe... but luckily I have a great vet who definitely has his priorities in the right place and I am suprisingly pleased at how progressive he is in terms of nutrition (doesn't carry science diet!!!) and he lets me participate in all procedures which makes me more comfortable. I really hated it when my other vet would take Shade away for every procedure when it stressed her out more. He also charges about half of what the other vets around here do, but has all the same technology and same hours of operation.

rainbow
November 7th, 2007, 01:41 AM
That's so cute the way she likes to have the fan blow on her. :D

I'm also overly careful when it comes to my furkids but I'm as lucky as you are in having a great vet to help me. :o The one that I had before always made me feel that he did this :rolleyes: all the time. :frustrated:

shredy
November 8th, 2007, 01:05 AM
Chloe is getting bigger so fast, how can I make it stop?? :D I want puppy forever :lovestruck:

growler~GateKeeper
November 8th, 2007, 01:16 AM
Take lots & lots & lots & lots of pics :D
then post lots & lots & lots & lots of pics :D

rainbow
November 8th, 2007, 01:20 AM
I agree :thumbs up agree :thumbs up agree :thumbs up

TeriM
November 8th, 2007, 01:47 AM
OMG, she is soooooo adorable :cloud9:. I am so happy that you get a new chance to share furry love, Shade would be very happy for you :).

shredy
November 8th, 2007, 02:12 PM
OMG, she is soooooo adorable :cloud9:. I am so happy that you get a new chance to share furry love, Shade would be very happy for you :).

Thanks :o I still mis my Shady like crazy, but it feels really good to give and receive love from my new furkid. I am loving every second of her puppyhood, I think I lucked out too, she is really easy!!

And, I have taken TONS of pictures, I will upload more and post them today.

breeze
November 8th, 2007, 02:19 PM
Thanks :o I still mis my Shady like crazy, but it feels really good to give and receive love from my new furkid. I am loving every second of her puppyhood, I think I lucked out too, she is really easy!!

And, I have taken TONS of pictures, I will upload more and post them today.

promise????? I need a puppy fix :D

growler~GateKeeper
November 11th, 2007, 02:26 AM
Sorry I didn't think of this till this late late last night :rolleyes:

Be sure to play with/touch repeatedly: her ears/feet especially/tail/belly/mouth inside & out etc to get her used to being handled frequently so if she has a problem down the road you will be able to examine a cut paw/clip her nails or be able to remove something from her mouth if neccessary

Also make sure you can put your hand in her food dish while she is eating to try to prevent her from becoming food possesive & also so hopefully you can remove a bone from her mouth if need be

I know the temperment of most goldens would allow all of these without issue but every dog is different ;)

chico2
November 11th, 2007, 07:50 AM
Sunday morning puppy-fix please:dog: