Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Big decision to make-Surgery or No Surgery

guffy40
November 1st, 2007, 04:50 PM
My maine coon cat, Leo tore a ligament in his heel. The orthopedic surgeon says if we don't operate to fix it he will suffer from debilitating arthritis for the rest of his life. But if we do put him under anesthesia he could die (he is obese with a grade 2/3 heart murmur). It's been two weeks since the injury. He limps around, avoids walking. He's now on heart meds and a serious DIET! But the doc says we can't wait 6 months to lose weight. I don't want to lose my baby. Has anyone had a cat recuperate from a torn ligament without surgery and without debilitating arthrithis setting in? (Doc say's a cast is a poor option, but I want to beg him some more for a cast) If anyone's gone thru this please help with some advice or encouragment. Thanks

chico2
November 1st, 2007, 05:00 PM
Sorry I cannot help,wish I could,but hopefully someone else can:pray:
If he were my cat,a beautiful big Maine Coon,I probably would opt for surgery,but it would all depend on the risks involved.
Without surgery he will be in pain for the rest of his life,it's a hard desicion to make, I wish you and your beautiful cat the best of luck:cat:

krdahmer
November 2nd, 2007, 01:48 AM
All I can offer is my prayers, that no matter what option you choose, hopes that he makes a full recovery and has many many pain free years left to spend with you. I had a similar (not the same ligament though) problem with one of ours, we chose not to have surgery, but that was also because our vet was not 100% sure surgery was necessary. All you can do is get all the info you can and try to make an informed decision. Best of luck to you both. :pray::grouphug:

Love4himies
November 2nd, 2007, 07:47 AM
What a difficult decision to make. It is almost damned if you do, damned if you don't. Was the vet able to give you his chances of surviving the anesthetic? Would he be able to take pain meds if you don't opt for the surgery?