Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Animal Abortion

Lisa_H
November 1st, 2007, 08:19 AM
Animal abortion is something that seems to happen alot. I had never heard of it before until I came to be the daughter in law to the VP of a humane society and began work at an animal hospital. At first I was disgusted with the thought of it, those poor babies after all! What had they ever done to deserve such things! But when you sit and think about it it makes sense. The homeless animal population is soaring. Foster parents aren't always in plenty and shelters fill up. It made sense that for every kitten/puppy born an adult shelter cat/dog never finds a home or dies. I see it now as saving lives at both ends of the rope. Those adult animals find homes and those babies don't become strays later on down the road because they grew up and "lost their cute factor".

I was just wondering what everyone elses thoughts were on this.

Love4himies
November 1st, 2007, 10:20 AM
I think you are going to find a lot of agreement with this issue. I understand the facts, and that animals don't have the same emotional connection to their young as humans, but I personally would have such a hard time if it were my kitty. In saying that, I would not take any chances for any accidents to happen in the first place, so all my pets are spayed/neutered.

Frenchy
November 1st, 2007, 11:20 AM
Of course I'm all for it. Like you said , there so many pets in shelters already , but it will be even better when people smart up and get their pets spay and neuter.

ancientgirl
November 1st, 2007, 02:34 PM
I think its a sad thing to think of, to kill an unborn innocent little animal. But there are so many innocent animals already here with no homes and little chance of having any.

And also there are risks to animal pregnancies. I've said before I would have loved to have had my cat Oksana have kittens with Vlad, but I would never chance anything happening to her by giving birth, since she's such a petite cat.

They are both spayed and neutered and save from the cancer they can get if they were not. I'm also having my two new ones spayed and neutered once the vet gives the okay that they are old enough too.

It makes more sense than having unwanted animals out there dying.

dmc123
November 1st, 2007, 06:10 PM
I never liked, nor like the idea, but I would have let Tilly's babies be aborted had I caught her in time to be spayed. But, it is wierd for me to think of that now - I have all 4 of her kids living with me. They have all touched my heart in ways my other cats never have. Amazing!

Diane

krdahmer
November 2nd, 2007, 01:17 AM
After being completely overwhelmed by a feral colony at my old apartment, taking in a year old pregnant feral and watching all her kittens die in pain/suffering... and then having to put her back out (after fixing her) and knowing that she would never know a loving home and that there were many many more in the colony that I wouldn't be able to help as we were moving away (even after I tried to arrange for the person taking over my apartment to continue feeding them, I even offered to keep bringing the food... but no, too busy, cats were peeing... blah blah blah).:cry: Well after all that I understand completely why it is necessary... because society is not responsible enough as a whole to prevent it in the first place. There are some individuals yes like the people on this forum fighting in the right direction, but as a whole we have a long long LONG way to go.

rjesak
November 2nd, 2007, 08:15 AM
When I got my middle two cats, Anya and Zander (sister and brother), the vet guessed their age at eight weeks. He said I should get them fixed at six months. Well, when I came home from work six weeks later and found little tiny Anya very much in heat, I called the vet first thing next morning.

I took her in and had her spayed immediately. The vet said that they'd aborted a few kittens at the same time. I admit, it was a bit jarring to think of it like that, but, to make matters worse, she was impregnated by my only other unfixed cat - her brother! The kittens probably wouldn't have been right anyway and she was a tiny thing.

Needless to say, all the kitties are fixed now and I give money regularly to Alley Cats - an organization which picks up, sterilizes, and re-releases feral cats. They do a number of abortive procedures as well. I certainly understand when people's first reaction to the term "abortion" is so negative, but I can pretty much tell you that Anya spends no time pining over her unborn children and I also don't think that she spends much time (unlike myself) worrying about her biological clock or her inability to have children.

luckypenny
November 2nd, 2007, 09:21 AM
...I understand completely why it is necessary... because society is not responsible enough as a whole to prevent it in the first place.....

I fully agree :sad: .