Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Good 'ole Halloween is here!

JanM
October 31st, 2007, 09:26 PM
My critters are all shut away in my bedroom and Bobby is crying - because we are NEVER separated in the house. Amber freaks out with the costumes and the weirdness of everything and Shadow is a black cat - ergo - for their safety, they are tucked away. Oh, almost forgot, Bobby would love to greet every kid that comes to the door - but he would also love to eat all their candy :D

There are firecrackers going off everywhere and Amber is quite terrified of them. She refuses to go out to the back yard at night - so, for the past few days (since the firecrackers started), she has been waking me up really, really early to go out.

I will be so glad when this evening - and the firecrackers - are over!

Dracko
October 31st, 2007, 09:37 PM
I'm hiding in my basement trying to talk to Dracko when I can tell kids are at the door and about to ring the bell. If I babble enough he can't hear it. :fingerscr When he does he freaks right out and runs upstairs like a crazy dog barking his head off. I'd give out candy but it would mean locking him up and I don't want to. Besides where I would put him would mean closing a door that wouldn't allow the cats to go to their room with the litter box for hours. Mind you, that's where most of them are hiding from the constant knocking and doorbell ringing.

Note to self: unhook doorbell for next Halloween.

BusterBoo
October 31st, 2007, 09:43 PM
We did really well tonight, Buster only barked when he couldn't see the door, but other than that, I managed to get him to sit (on collar and leash) every time some kids came to the door. His only loose time was when my Grandson was over and then he was allowed to play with the "kid" aka my Lamb!

jesse's mommy
October 31st, 2007, 09:48 PM
We dressed Jesse up in her cop uniform and sat outside with her and gave candy out. She loved it and was such a good girl. We found that if we included her in all the mayhem she was a lot more calm. Now she is sleepy. :sleepy:

JanM
October 31st, 2007, 10:57 PM
I couldn't stand it so I let the dogs out and put their leashes on - Amber barked when kids came but didn't run to the door so I figure that's better than having them shut away in a room!

Its only 8 pm but I've turned the lights off - only 12 kids this year - darn, now I have all those chocolate bars and M & M's to eat :D

All in all, it wasn't as bad as I feared and, with their leashes on, the dogs were really, really good...

Now the firecrackers are really going strong but hopefully they will stop soon.

krdahmer
November 1st, 2007, 12:31 AM
I'm terrible... lol... I went and hid in my mom's basement and we watched a movie while my dad handed out the candy! :rolleyes: I had the lights off here and even took the doorbell off so no one would scare the kitties. :o Halloween here is dwindling every year, my folks used to get like 200 kids and now are lucky to get 50-60. And there are very few houses decorated.

Ford Girl
November 1st, 2007, 03:24 PM
I used last night as a way to help train Dazy to not charge the door or bark when the door bell goes...it was tough!! We were both exhausted!! I wanted to lock her up, but like Bobby, she wouldn't appreciate it! So this is how it went...

**Ding dong...

***Dazy rushes the door, I get up from the couch calmly, move her away from the door with out noise, place her away from the door, and ask her to sit, tell her stay, I go down the stairs and close the door hehind me. She stays in the very spot I sat her in.

**She can't see who it is and begins to bark, but still sitting and staying. I hand out candy the kid leaves.

**I go back up, walk in and she rushes at me, I move her back to the spot, she lips off with some growling and roo roo's, I tell her down, she lays down and stays for 2 minutes until I release her or she loses interest in the door.

We had only 10 ding dongs, and by the 4th she went right to the spot and sat, and let me walk out the door without placing her there or asking her to sit/stay, no barking while she couldn't see us. BUT each time I walked back in she rushed at me, almost jumped on me and roo roo'd. She was upset with me, I could tell, she was trying to bully me for not letting her down the stairs. I ignored her and walked right thru her. We did this from 6-8, then I shut my lights off. I was afraid it would take me so long to settle her that the kid would be long gone by the time I got down to the door.

Man, we were both pooped!!! It got easier and easier each time, it's not often that you can practice this over and over again at any given time. I'm glad I tried it. :thumbs up

ancientgirl
November 1st, 2007, 03:29 PM
I only had two groups. With the last group I was holding Vlad and one of the kids were crinkling their plastic bags and Vlad jumped up and over my shoulder and got the hell away from the door.

Next year, I'm just not answering the door. It's not like I got that many trick or treaters this year anyway, so why upset the furbabies.

JanM
November 1st, 2007, 05:33 PM
Hey, Ford Girl - sounds like you had a VERY successful evening with Dazy... Good for you..

Amber and Bobby didn't move to the door when they had their leashes on - they would without them though. Silly me didn't think of the "sit/stay" - wish I had!

rainbow
November 1st, 2007, 06:21 PM
We dressed Jesse up in her cop uniform and sat outside with her and gave candy out. She loved it and was such a good girl. We found that if we included her in all the mayhem she was a lot more calm. Now she is sleepy. :sleepy:

Lucky you but I bet it wasn't 4 Celsius (about 38 F ) outside either. :D

Love4himies
November 2nd, 2007, 07:32 AM
We live out in the country and didn't have any children. Having 10 cats in the house (my 3 and 7 foster kittens) we were thinking of giving out kittens rather than treats:laughing:.

Longblades
November 2nd, 2007, 09:13 AM
A few years ago I got the bright idea of training our Lab to deposit the goodies in the kids' loot bags. She caught on right away and we did a test run on DH. OOOPS, forgot about one important thing. Dog slobber. Nix that great idea.

This year our DLH black cat sat in the front window and thrilled the kids with our "live" Halloween decoration.

Not as many kids this year though. I think it's because we haven't gone on daylight savings yet and it wasn't dark as early as previous years. Half the fun for the wee kids is being allowed out in the dark, I think.

Frenchy
November 2nd, 2007, 12:47 PM
I'm lucky enough to live far from civilization :D the kids go trick or treating at the village. Even so , too many fuzzbutts at my house who would rush to the door ...

growler~GateKeeper
November 3rd, 2007, 01:30 AM
A few years ago I got the bright idea of training our Lab to deposit the goodies in the kids' loot bags. She caught on right away and we did a test run on DH. OOOPS, forgot about one important thing. Dog slobber. Nix that great idea.

:laugh: that would've been so cute to see (except for the few bratty kids who would yell dog slobber ewwww!!!) :rolleyes:

This year our DLH black cat sat in the front window and thrilled the kids with our "live" Halloween decoration.

:laughing: :thumbs up