ValerieField
October 31st, 2007, 06:38 PM
You all know that I have another cat who has decided that he wants
to live on my deck. We call him Wiley and I have an appointment with the
Vet's for Tuesday to bring him in and get him flea-free, blood tested and
needled, before I can allow him to come inside and live with Mopar and
SadSack. We bought a large Rubbermaid container and turned it upside-down
and put a door way and a blanket in it and that is where he has been
sleeping every night. He has been here for 2 and a half weeks and refuses to leave.

I just had some trick-or-treaters that said hi to him and called him "Twister".
I asked them if he knew the cat and they told me that their neighbor, one
street up from me owned him. Then I asked them if she was looking for him,
and they said NO......they wouldn't let him in their house because
he had so many fleas !!!!!!
Now I'm not sure what to do. I will call the vet tomorrow and tell her what I know.
I refuse to pay out money for someone else's cat, especially when at any time
she can come down and take him back !!!! Especially if he now has no fleas.
I also think it's against the law for me to just take someone's cat.

Any suggestions on what I can do about this would be appreciated.

Valerie

mummummum
October 31st, 2007, 07:15 PM
It sounds like this cat needs a loving home. Fleas are such a minor and temporary problem. Can you imagine what this "owner" would do if this Sweetie had a real problem? I think Wiley knew what he was doing and has found is true home Valerie.

sugarcatmom
October 31st, 2007, 07:26 PM
I agree with mummummum. It's not like you're taking him, you're just providing him with the things in life that he obviously wants and needs (like a good home). With "owners" that negligent, they'd probably be relieved to have him off their hands anyway.

Janie123
October 31st, 2007, 07:40 PM
He'd be my inside cat. All my cats are inside cats. :) It sounds like they are not feeding him either if he's living with you.:shrug:

ValerieField
October 31st, 2007, 08:06 PM
If I thought that he would be an inside cat, I would go ahead
and not worry about it, but he has been an outside cat all his life,
from what I gather, and may not conform to living indoors.
He loves to lay on the deck in the sun, and the few times I did
bring him in the house, after 20 minutes, he wanted to go out again.
I guess I will have to wait and see what the vet says...if she says
that we can go ahead and have him fixed up, and he will be ours,
then we will do it.
But where I live we do have laws here that state that we cannot "steal" another
person's animal....and if it came down to all that...we would have to
go to court to prove that they were neglectful. That is why I am going
to speak to the vet. Maybe she will take him in and find a good home
for him away from here. I hate to give him up, but I really don't want
to be feuding with the neighbors...I have enough on my plate,
with hubby's broken back and his health. But I also don't want him to go
back to her.....she doesn't sound like a very good person to own pets.

Thanks for all the answers, I will let you know what the vet says.

Valerie

dmc123
October 31st, 2007, 08:32 PM
If you know who "owned" the cat before, simply go ask them if they still want him. If not, say you want to give him a place to stay and take care of him. We did that with Spaz, when his former owners set him out and he took up residence on our porch. We told them we were going to get his shots and get him fixed, but not if they were going to claim him. They were thrilled.

Spaz is an outside cat, doesn't even look inside if the door is opened. We provide food, shelter, and a place to come in out of the rain. That is all he wants. He cruises the neighborhood and many watch out for him. I am sure some give him stuff to eat from time to time- he is certainly not a small boy.

He's been around here now since 2001, born in 2000.

Best of luck with Wiley.

Diane

ValerieField
October 31st, 2007, 08:40 PM
Thanks for the advise Diane.

The children didn't tell me what their neighbors name was
but I told them to let her know that he is at my house, living
on my deck and I wrote down my address. If she shows up,
I am going to ask her if she wants to keep him or if she wants
me to take him in, and bring him to the vets. All depending on
what the vet says as to what actions I will take. If she says that
he is her cat and she can't stop him from staying on my deck....then
I will ask the vet to take him and find a good home for him, and
tell her that he must have wandared off, because I haven't seen him.
If she says I can have him.....then that's great...but I am wondering,
if I will need it in writing.....lol

Valerie

dmc123
October 31st, 2007, 08:47 PM
Valerie,

I don't know how big your blocks or streets are, but if you are so worried about her coming back to claim the cat....go knock on a few doors. My bet is they will be like my neighbors....thrilled to have someone care for the cat because they didn't want to anymore.

Diane

krdahmer
November 1st, 2007, 12:19 AM
That exact thing happened and is how I got my Buddy. He was being totally neglected and what I did because I did find out who 'owned' him, was I went to her and asked if she would surrender him to me as I would be able to give him the care he needed. Also all he had was fleas and had been abused so was not the greatest with her kids (who were also untrained monsters:wall:). She agreed. I forked out hundreds of dollars to get him healthy (he also had bad resp. probs. I hadn't noticed while lounging with him on my porch for weeks). We were neighbourly after that and a about a year later her mother made a remark about she should take him back now that he is such a nice cat.... FAT CHANCE!!! He was microchipped and that was THE first thing I did... call them and change all the info to me. I have also worked with a rescue here when I had a cat that did belong to someone in the building but he was basically abandoned... no food/water/shelter.

Where you live there are no doubt laws that prevent you from actually going out and stealing someones pet, but if you can prove that said pet has been abandoned or that the owners are abusing/neglecting it, it shouldn't be much of a problem to get him. There are also laws against that where the animal is seized and taken to a shelter, in our case the shelter actually said to just take him, so we did and adopted him out. He has a great new home and the jackhole that left him didn't even inquire about him until months later.

And unfortunately for some, fortunately for the cats in some cases, it is nearly impossible to prove you own the cat unless they have extensive medical records with a vet or microchip etc.... IMO I would assume this poor cat has never seen a vet and I would guess does not have a chip. I would ask the neighbour first and give them the option of remedying the situation (maybe they are just ignorant... not mean), then if that doesn't work, go on with your plans to take him in.

ValerieField
November 1st, 2007, 09:59 AM
I was just talking to the vet and she said legally.....if you find a cat, and if the owner's
don't come looking for it within 72 hours....then you can keep the cat.
He would be considered mine now....because he has been on my deck for two and a half weeks.
The vet also said that they can't take him because they are over full, but they would pay for all his vet bills.

I told the kids last night to tell their neighbor where the cat was.
I guess I will have to wait and see if the neighbor comes looking for it.
If the neighbor does come here, I will ask them point blank, if they intend to keep it and get it fixed up. If they say no...
then I will tell them that I will keep him.

According to the laws here.....he is already mine.....but if she shows up,
I will tell her that I am willing to get him fixed up and pay for everythng, as long as I can keep him.

Valerie

ancientgirl
November 1st, 2007, 11:23 AM
I hope you can keep the little guy. It sounds like they aren't interested in having him if they haven't even made an effort to talk to you yet.

I'm sure once you keep him indoors for a bit he'll get used to it. I've read lots of stories about outdoor cats turning into indoor cats with no problems.

Good luck!:fingerscr

rainbow
November 1st, 2007, 07:05 PM
If you know where the kids live, you could ask them to show you where the owner lives. That way you wouldn't have to wait to see what the owner says although it's pretty obvious that she doesn't care. Either that or, as Diane said, go knocking on a few doors yourself to find the owner. Good luck and keep us posted. :fingerscr :goodvibes: