Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How to foster

rjesak
October 31st, 2007, 03:21 PM
Hey all,

I'm not sure where to post this so I figured general would work.

I'd really like to provide some volunteer services to a cat-friendly organization. I don't think I have the strength to volunteer at a shelter (I have six cats just because I visit them occasionally!!!). I'm afraid if I work at a shelter, I'll end up with twenty. :sad: I know those of you who do it just know you do it for the greater good, but I just don't know if I could bear it. I can hardly stand to visit the adopt-a-pet shows they do at PetCo.

I've been considering fostering, but I guess I'm worried about how it will work with six pissed off cats. These six are very good together but, boy, will they not be happy with me if a invite in another kitty. :p

Do you think I can make it work? :confused:

Any suggestions, thoughts, and opinions on the subject are welcomed.

Robin

Winston
October 31st, 2007, 04:06 PM
Just thinking! is there an organization where you could volunteer to walk dogs? or what about seniors who have pets but cannot really walk them? Maybe there is someone you could volunteer to help?

Cindy

kara1
October 31st, 2007, 07:01 PM
that sounds like me. but my situation is that i have a 3 year old boy and i'm worried about him getting attached and then giving the dog away, it sounds like fun but how do you deal with these situations?

mummummum
October 31st, 2007, 07:23 PM
With regard to the cats ~ there are ALWAYS feral colonies which need to be fed (and humanely-trapped, neutered vaccinated) ~ why not get in touch with a local cat rescue to find out how you can help ?

With regard to dogs ~ 3 years old is a little too young to take along for walks as a volunteer dog walker. He wouldn't be able to keep up and when in a trouble situation your attention would naturally be with your boy rather than the dog (where it really needs to be). But Humane Societies and SPCA's and Rescues need all sorts of volunteers ~ perhaps there's something else you can do.