Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Changing a dogs name?

Tristan Biggar
October 30th, 2007, 06:32 PM
Hi there.

I live in Toronto. My girlfriend and I are seriously considering taking in a 3 year old huskie that a friend can no longer take care of.

My girlfriend hates the name of the dog and wants to change it. Im not certain if that is good for the dog. Is it possible to have a dog respond to a different name after 3 years? Or should we just stick with the current name?

Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks!

happycats
October 30th, 2007, 06:53 PM
What's the dog's name? Maybe you can pick something that rhymes.

I don't think it would be to bad, I'm sure the dog will get used to it. Lots of prople have more then one name for their dogs, the real name, and all the other "pet" names they use.:)

allymack
October 30th, 2007, 07:10 PM
i have plenty of names for my dog:D and i think it would be possible, not necessarily reallly easy to changes its name, but you would have to go back to the basics of teaching the dog it's name, (1. say name, 2. if turns and faces you give a treat, if he doesnt turn and face you take a step back but do not repeat his name, and just step back untill he faces you, then treat, your goal is to get your dog to turn around in response to his name before the leash tightens.) All of that is done on leash of course :) but i definately think it is possible, and it would not harm the dog to learn another name...besides then he will respond to two names:o

Frenchy
October 30th, 2007, 08:00 PM
What's the dog's name? Maybe you can pick something that rhymes.

but you would have to go back to the basics of teaching the dog it's name,

I second both of those advices :thumbs up

joeysmama
October 30th, 2007, 08:11 PM
When we first got Joey we had no choice. He was at least 2 and a half but had been found on the highway so there was no waying of knowing what his name had been. The rescue was calling him Franklin because he was found on the FDR drive. We had him about an hour and realized that it didn't fit. We used it the first hour or so but it just wasn't his name.

We tried out a bunch and then my daughter said "Joey" and we all said "Yes, that's his name."

Just use the new name as a nickname for awhile and he'll get used to it and you can phase out the old name.

Tristan Biggar
October 30th, 2007, 08:15 PM
Thanks guys!

The dogs name is Diesel. I'm not too fond of the name myself. Just wanted to make sure. Im sure it will be hard enough for the dog to adjust to a new home and masters, I did not want to make it any more difficult.

The dog is amazingly well trained.

We had been taking care of her sisters dog for about 6 or 7 months. Her name was Lucy she was a jack russel/border collie mix. Extremely smart and well tempered and in amazing shape for her age (11, she could catch rabbits easily).

When there was that giant pet food recall, the food we normally fed her was affected, and she died of liver failure. I felt horrible because I had switched her from IAMS to Nutro. Nutro is better food but I really did not expect that.

mika140
October 30th, 2007, 08:15 PM
Yep...I've re-named a dog and have seen a number of others do the same. Within a month of getting my dog, he absolutely recognized his name. I'd just make sure that you're both on the same page and are very consistent. I repeated my dog's name A LOT and did the food reward along with his acknowledgment that I had spoken to him. Now I'm really curious what your dog's name was and what you choose for him ;)

Tristan Biggar
October 30th, 2007, 08:25 PM
The dogs name is Diesel. I don't think it suits a huskie.

mika140
October 30th, 2007, 08:26 PM
So sorry to hear that Lucy died.....that's so sad :cry: ...but I would have made the same decision as you to switch foods.

Good luck with the name change....it should go over just fine.

Tristan Biggar
October 30th, 2007, 08:37 PM
So sorry to hear that Lucy died.....that's so sad :cry: ...but I would have made the same decision as you to switch foods.

Good luck with the name change....it should go over just fine.

Thanks! I think I will take the huskie in! I love dogs! heh.

Actually my girlfriends sister is in on a class action lawsuit against the either the distributor or manufacturer of the food (pardon my ignorance) that killed Lucy.

Im also very lucky because right outside my building is a large dedicated dog park! And across the street is an even larger park. So my new friend can get lots exersize!

Frenchy
October 30th, 2007, 08:47 PM
The dogs name is Diesel. I don't think it suits a huskie.

How about Dweezil ? (after one of Frank Zappa's kid) and there's lots of website for dog / cat names too , that could help finding one. Congratulation on the adoption :thumbs up we would love a picture of the newbie ....

mummummum
October 30th, 2007, 08:54 PM
Changing a dog's name isn't a big deal at all. My last Dog, Tai got her name after she was over a year old (and I had her since she was weeny). One of my current grrrls had a name change after 6 months. And my boy who I adopted 2 years ago when he was 8 (he kept the same name for the first 8 years despite his shelter history), had his named changed the day he "came home" and was fine within days. But he is THE SMARTEST DOG IN THE WORLD of course:D

Tristan Biggar
October 30th, 2007, 08:59 PM
How about Dweezil ? (after one of Frank Zappa's kid) and there's lots of website for dog / cat names too , that could help finding one. Congratulation on the adoption :thumbs up we would love a picture of the newbie ....

Didnt zappa name one of his kids Moon Unit? Id be more likely to name him that. Since dogs "howl at the moon" and such :laughing:

mummummum
October 30th, 2007, 09:02 PM
PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZ ... don't listen to Frenchy. She's "special". We don't let her name dogs anymore. :laughing:

Tristan Biggar
October 30th, 2007, 09:05 PM
PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZ ... don't listen to Frenchy. She's "special". We don't let her name dogs anymore. :laughing:

heh. Luckly a dog wouldent care what its name was. When you name your kid moon unit there is some mental issues sure to arise.

mummummum
October 30th, 2007, 09:10 PM
Uhh. like. totally. like. ya know. like . totally.

happycats
October 30th, 2007, 09:11 PM
I was also thinking Dweezil!!

Here's some, that are close.

Deacon
Dino
Cecil
Reeko
Niko
:shrug:

Good luck with your new furry butt!!:dog:

allymack
October 30th, 2007, 09:13 PM
personally i loveee the name diesel, what color is he, i am most definately looking forward to the pics of the new addition:) also its awesome that you have dog parks so close by, i have to drive about 20-30 mins to get to one but i do have a field near by that we go to everyday... there are usually some other dogs there for enzo to play with, but thats beside the point :o good choice on taking the dog in :thumbs up also make sure you know the exact commands that the other owner used so you can use the same ones, and for the first little while you may have to work on getting him to respond to you giving the commands as he is probably used to learning them from his other owner.

Dogastrophe
October 31st, 2007, 05:56 AM
Dogs are pretty smart when it comes to learning their new name. Just repeat the new name over and over when talking to the dog, say the new name and if pup looks at you praise it, etc. Most dogs that come from a shelter are "nameless" when they arrive. Shelter staff give them a name which may or may not transfer to the new owners.

Our Monty (who was around 6 at the time) was picked up as a stray. The shelter staff named him Conner. The day we went to pick him up we decided that Conner didn't really fit so we decided on Monty. It took him about 3 days to learn that 'Monty' meant him.

Cheers,

:pawprint:

CearaQC
October 31st, 2007, 07:05 AM
I always thought pets could care less what their name is and just associate the repeating sounds we make as applying to them. I imagine some dogs out there think their name is NO. lol Hubby's nephew calls their dog, "dog," and not her given name and she's a wiggling bundle around him and doesn't seem to care about her name.

Anyway, someone mentioned to me a couple of weeks ago about an abused animal and how the name should be changed at a new home because the animal would associate the original name with the abuse. :shrug:

I thought that was a strange thing to hear. For some reason I don't think animals rationalize like that. I dunno either way for certain.

When I got my cats, they learned their names pretty darn quick when food and treats became involved.

sammgo21
November 1st, 2007, 12:59 PM
Is it female? how about Dee Dee? or just Dee?

happycats
November 1st, 2007, 01:18 PM
Is it female? how about Dee Dee? or just Dee?

Great one .....and more for me to rhyme :D

Dees
Flea (from the Red Hot Chili's)
Kees
Lee
Breeze or Bree ( I know I got this one from someone on the board):)
Guy (french way)
ZeeZee
TeeSee (or TC)