Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Winston's strange behaviour

Winston
October 30th, 2007, 04:01 PM
Just something I noticed today...Twice there was a commercial on tv with a baby crying its heart out! I actually forget the commercial but anyway, Winston wsa in the livingroom both times and when the baby cried he let out the weirdest bark! almost like a yodel?? When the commercial stopped so did he?? Maybe he doesnt like babies? We have no children except our furry ones! Just thought it was strange??

Cindy

bloobird16
October 30th, 2007, 04:36 PM
hey i read recently on the internet about that. Its the pitch of the sound, that instantly gives the dog the instinct to bark or howl or some may call it singing (also happens with some songs) dont worry im pretty sure its normal. but also it may be because the pitch is too high and may be hurting th e dogs ears. but sry im not too sure about that part.

sugarcatmom
October 30th, 2007, 06:13 PM
My cat freaks at the sound of babies crying - like puffy tail action, slinking around the house trying to find the source of this horror (I usually feel the same way, actually!). In this case it's because wailing infants sound awfully similar to cats fighting or in distress. Not sure if dogs think of it like that though.

Winston
October 30th, 2007, 07:39 PM
I am thinking it was just the high pitch because he is really great with young kids...He is a big goof normally but for some reason he can sense when its a child or someone that is older?? Kind of freaked me out! I have seen my two cats freak out before when a baby crys but not the dog!

Cindy

growler~GateKeeper
October 31st, 2007, 03:28 AM
Winston was howling, each dog/wolf (/person) has a different vocal pitch & so they all have a different kind of howl, some do short barks then howl, some start low & end high pitched, some yodel, my Cally almost always started his howl with a low pitched whine (kinda sounded like he wanted the sound to come closer :D). Alot of times dogs will howl to someone singing/sirens/crying/piano music - a certain pitch, different for each dog will induce the howl.

I could get Nikki & Nisku to howl by howling @ them, however with Cally it didn't work no matter what pitch I used, if I kept @ it for 10+ mins he would sort of start a low whiny-howl for a few seconds but would only launch into full howl for high pitched sirens & low pitched train whistles but would stop if he knew someone was watching him - even though I praised him & gave him a cookie for every howl, trying to get him to howl more often

mummummum
October 31st, 2007, 11:26 AM
Maybe Winston would make a good Therapy Dog given his empathy. :shrug:

Winston
October 31st, 2007, 11:38 AM
Mum3 I would love that! Problem is he is too big! which makes him an 8 year 110 pd lab going on 2 years! I would be so worried he would step on someone's foot and break their toes! God knows he stepped on mine enough times and boy does it hurt!

He is amazingly gentle when there are little ones around...but his size is what would scare some!

Cindy

mummummum
October 31st, 2007, 12:26 PM
Think about it anyway, there a lots of big galumphs "in service". He seems like someone I would like to run into on cancer floor at Princess Margaret or perhaps at Sick Kids or Mcmaster.

krdahmer
October 31st, 2007, 01:26 PM
My mom's cat comes running and meows and chirps at all of us everytime my nephew fusses.... like she's asking 'ok what did you guys do?'... its very sweet. And I also think it is just the pitch.