Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Why is my puppy limping?

geoffh4
October 30th, 2007, 02:45 PM
So I have a 7-8 month old, 40 lb puppy that has recently developed a limp.

Backstory:

Saturday I took her to this really large field by my house where we played chase/fetch/etc. She ran and played for at least a few hours until she simply couldn't really run anymore and then we went home. This is a regular thing we do 2-3 times per week, although we've only been doing it for the past 3 weeks or so

Sunday evening I took her for a walk, and about 2 blocks away, she picked up her back left paw. Up until this point she seemed to be walking fine. I carried her home and put her back onto the ground and she walked around just fine.

Later that night I assumed everything was back to normal as she moved around just fine, but noticed her having trouble making it up the stairs. At the top of the stairs, she started limping again with the same foot up into the air.

Monday came around and in the morning she seemed totally fine. She went up and down the stairs, out into the yard, ran around, etc. I left for work.

Monday evening I come home and she is super excited to see me and jumps and runs around. She seems fine. I go to take her for a walk, and same deal. We get about 2 blocks away and she starts limping. I carried her back, AGAIN, and she seemed OK again. She was so full of energy that she ran around the backyard, but then started limping again!

Its like she has a problem, forgets about it, then experiences it when she puts strain on her foot. I think she has a very high pain threshold. Any idea what this could be??

Some other strange thing is that she chews on her feet, especially the nails. But its both feet and its been going on since before the "Injury"

I am totally willing to take her to the vet if I think she needs it, but she is fine 90% of the time. I thought maybe it was a pulled muscle or a strain of some sort, but Im not sure. A friend of mine has a puppy of simliar age, and told me hers did this when it was shedding its nails. A few days went by and it was back to normal.

shredy
October 30th, 2007, 02:57 PM
This could be a number of things, Dogs are very stoic and don't complain when things are hurting them. She could have a sprain that if you keep her quiet (no running, jumping, playing) will get better within a week or so. Or if she has hip dysplasia that is just presenting itself it would be aggravated with activity. Or she could have injured her knee. What I would do is keep her quiet, keep her on the leash just quick walks outside to do her business for a couple days and see if it gets better. If she is still limping at the end of the week I would get her in to see teh vet on Friday just to be safe.
Until then, can you tell where it is hurting her? Hip, knee, ankle, paw, explore a little. Oh and we love pictures if you have any of you girl...

geoffh4
October 30th, 2007, 03:04 PM
I hope/don't think its HD as she is very young and she doesnt have (isnt supposed to have) any breeds mixed in that have genetic predispositions to HD. Thats why we got a mix in the first place! Man, that would be terrible news :(

I can't really tell where its hurting, except that she completely pulls up the paw so that it doesnt even touch the ground. Total lameness, not just limping. She then moves around on 3 feet.

Ford Girl
October 30th, 2007, 03:06 PM
Dazy pulled or sprained a muscle last week too, I noticed on Thursday she was in some pain, and it came and went, her energy was the same, and then BOOM - she would cry in pain, I took her to the vet, they examined her for blockages and hip displasia, and they dind't find anything. They told me to keep her quiet for 5 days, and on the 6th day start walking her on leash, 15 minutes at a time, with 30 minutes rest inbetween, after 10 days she can play hard again.

Tonight we get to leash walk, thank goodness, she's driving me nuts!!

I would say, give it a few days, with no exercise. Try touching, massaging, pulling gently on the legs, if your dog doesn't yelp or recoil or flinch, it's probably a sprain, if it hurts to touch, go see the vet asap.

clm
October 30th, 2007, 03:15 PM
Baxter was limping for a while a few weeks ago, now it's Bentley's turn. Not limping much, but I don't walk them when I notice the limping. Can't stop them from blasting around the yard though. Keep an eye on it and if it's not getting better, a trip to the vet is in order.

Cindy

geoffh4
October 30th, 2007, 03:24 PM
Its impossible to tell if shes in pain or not.

Ive never heard her "yelp" even after accidently stepping on her foot, giving her vaccinations, etc. She doesnt even seem to withdraw from the vet.

But then again, she is contantly "whining" But she has done this her entire life, and I think its mostly attention based because she stops if we play with her or give her a treat (I know, bad training)

Riluke
October 30th, 2007, 03:44 PM
I hope/don't think its HD as she is very young and she doesnt have (isnt supposed to have) any breeds mixed in that have genetic predispositions to HD. Thats why we got a mix in the first place! Man, that would be terrible news :(

I can't really tell where its hurting, except that she completely pulls up the paw so that it doesnt even touch the ground. Total lameness, not just limping. She then moves around on 3 feet.

Unfotunately this is not necesarily true. My 5 month old mixed breed dog was just diagnosed with HD. He is fine 90% of the time as well and doesn't appear to be in pain.

This doesn't mean you dog has hip dysplasia but you should really take the puppy to the vet and find out what it could be.

Good Luck !!!

satchelp
October 30th, 2007, 10:25 PM
It actually sounds more like patellar luxation than a hip issue. It is very typical, when a dog has a luxating patella, that they hold their leg up off the ground. It will often pop back in place by itself, and it's like nothing had ever happened .. they start to walk normally again. Sometimes with younger dogs/pups, this can resolve as they mature and if it doesn't, it depends on the degree of severity whether surgery is recommended.

Hogansma
October 30th, 2007, 11:20 PM
My first thought was "growing pains". I'm not sure of the real term for it but I had a large breed dog and he got them when he was a growing pup. I think it has to do with the leg bones growing rapidly. He grew out of it with no lasting affects.

Ford Girl
October 31st, 2007, 11:41 AM
My first thought was "growing pains". I'm not sure of the real term for it but I had a large breed dog and he got them when he was a growing pup. I think it has to do with the leg bones growing rapidly. He grew out of it with no lasting affects.

Yes, this is something to consider too, when Dazy was 7 months old she went thru 2 days of pain, wobbling, growning due to growing pains. I kept her quiet and gave her asprin for 2 days. The cooler weather and hard play triggered it.

gsdlove
November 2nd, 2007, 08:36 PM
The medical term for growing pains is pansteitis. It is common in large breed puppies, can last on and off from days/months/year. Usually though it will affect one paw then another. Your situation seems as though your pup has just overdone it. Puppies go through different growth spurts so you have to be very very careful. Our German Shepherd pup overdid it at the dog park (I should say - my husband and I overdid him!) He was having fun - lots of running, chasing, twisting, etc. He ended up having a limp in his left front paw. We kept him quiet for 2 weeks (not easy). Just lots of walks but kept them very short. He was all better after that. Good Luck!

gsdlove
November 2nd, 2007, 08:37 PM
Sorry, panosteitis. I missed the "o"!