Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Michael Bryant Gone as Attorney General

seeker
October 30th, 2007, 08:16 AM
That's all I know right now but it is enough to make my day !

twodogsandacat
October 30th, 2007, 08:23 PM
And make no mistake...it's a demotion and it's into a no-win situation. Looks good on him.

Also on the move is Attorney General Michael Bryant, 41, who gets the difficult job of aboriginal affairs minister, a tricky portfolio given the 21-month Caledonia standoff. Bryant also replaces Tourism Minister Jim Bradley as House Leader.

Bryant, who was responsible for native affairs from 2003 until 2005 and wrote his Harvard University masters thesis on aboriginal-state conflicts, has leadership ambitions and is not close to McGuinty, which is why he is being moved to the lower-profile department.
source: http://www.thestar.com/News/Ontario/article/271762

seeker
October 30th, 2007, 09:23 PM
I think it looks good on the guy too and for whatever reason McGuinty did it , it's ok with me.
Not that I think our problem will go away but this was Bryant's "mission" I wonder how seriously this guy will take it?
I do feel for the aboriginals though because there is simply no talking to this man. But with any luck he will make some bad decisions and he will be exiled to the backbench within 6 months!

Watchdog
October 30th, 2007, 09:23 PM
The Natives will not put up with him. Have fun Bryant.

wdawson
October 30th, 2007, 10:22 PM
ohh i can't wait....they gonna eat him alive......even the city of hamilton turned down putting in a bid to police caledonia,as the opp contract is up:rolleyes:

mummummum
October 30th, 2007, 10:28 PM
I hate to be the thorn... but will this make any difference to BSL ?

wdawson
October 30th, 2007, 11:09 PM
nope not one bit......:sad:

babyrocky1
October 31st, 2007, 12:57 AM
Na na na na, na na, hey hey hey.... Goood Bye!!!!!
It has no direct impact on the bill since its already passed, but one has to wonder how much intensity a different AG will put into defending the previous gyys "honour"... choke, choke.....with appeals...... back to my happy dance...na na na.......!

twodogsandacat
October 31st, 2007, 09:13 AM
I hate to be the thorn... but will this make any difference to BSL ?

Nope but when bad things happen to bad people it's a good day.

Petty eh? :goodvibes:

babyrocky1
October 31st, 2007, 11:03 AM
Nope but when bad things happen to bad people it's a good day.

Petty eh? :goodvibes:
Good Day! Oh yah, Petty, NO WAY!

na na na (still singing) ..... :highfive::laughing:

mummummum
October 31st, 2007, 11:15 AM
But you mean no disrespect to Native people right.... :thumbs up

babyrocky1
October 31st, 2007, 03:02 PM
But you mean no disrespect to Native people right.... :thumbs upof course not....!!!!! All my disrespect goes to MB!
But that is the down side, it would be better if there were someone handling that portfolio that had integrity! Hopefully his incompetence will show itself sooner rather than later and as Two Dogs says, hell be warming the back benches!

twodogsandacat
October 31st, 2007, 07:21 PM
But you mean no disrespect to Native people right.... :thumbs up

None here either. All I can say about Caledonia is that sadly I have no idea how this one can be resolved to everybody's satisfaction. Somebody will have to compromise somewhere.

That said I do know that Mr. Bryant's bullying, lying and deceptive ways will not serve him well in this particular case. The man will need to learn humility and tact. He will need to learn it fast.

Let's hope it gets better before it gets worse.

babyrocky1
November 2nd, 2007, 12:11 AM
None here either. All I can say about Caledonia is that sadly I have no idea how this one can be resolved to everybody's satisfaction. Somebody will have to compromise somewhere.

That said I do know that Mr. Bryant's bullying, lying and deceptive ways will not serve him well in this particular case. The man will need to learn humility and tact. He will need to learn it fast.

Let's hope it gets better before it gets worse.
I just noticed your signature...LOL I have a pic of Rocky on my slide show on Facebook with that same quote for his caption..... "Don't Blame me I Voted NDP" lol
Glad to see you came over to the Orange side!

twodogsandacat
November 2nd, 2007, 10:28 AM
I just noticed your signature...LOL I have a pic of Rocky on my slide show on Facebook with that same quote for his caption..... "Don't Blame me I Voted NDP" lol
Glad to see you came over to the Orange side!

Yep I voted for Peter Kormos.

babyrocky1
November 2nd, 2007, 11:31 AM
I wondered if you ended up in his riding... wahoooo! Best MPP ever! I'm on his Facebook Group LOL! Or I should say Rocky is!
I posted some pics here of Rock campaigning with my MPP Rosario, also Orange of course!

twodogsandacat
November 2nd, 2007, 05:33 PM
campaigning with my MPP Rosario, also Orange of course!

Good for you and good for him.

Rosario Marchese is so funny. I once watched as he explained how the McGuinty government announced money, withdrew half of it, announced it again, withdrew half again and re announced it. Although the time to apply for the funding was almost up....the forms still hadn't been released. I was almost rolling on the floor.

babyrocky1
November 2nd, 2007, 11:09 PM
I think I saw that Question Period! but have you seen this??? And remember that Rosario was AFRAID of Dogs... guess he is over it.... this is Rockys
"don't blame me I voted NDP" pic

Watchdog
November 3rd, 2007, 12:24 AM
The Natives have a very strong case. So strong that the government is backed in a corner and knows that the only way they can fight this is to put someone on the job that will ignore the facts and truth and force unjust legislation into place. Bryant, as we know, is an expert at this so it is no suprise that he has been chosen to deal with it.

seeker
November 3rd, 2007, 09:27 AM
The Natives have a very strong case. So strong that the government is backed in a corner and knows that the only way they can fight this is to put someone on the job that will ignore the facts and truth and force unjust legislation into place. Bryant, as we know, is an expert at this so it is no suprise that he has been chosen to deal with it.

It was one thing for Bryant to pick on a small group of animal lovers, but to deal with a very strong minority of people that have a lot of Federal support might be another.

If he does force unjust legislation against the aboriginals I think there will be a s:censored:storm like Ontario has never seen before.
McGuinty will have no choice but to replace him and put him out to pasture like an old neutered racehorse.

twodogsandacat
November 3rd, 2007, 11:31 AM
It was one thing for Bryant to pick on a small group of animal lovers, but to deal with a very strong minority of people that have a lot of Federal support might be another.

If he does force unjust legislation against the aboriginals I think there will be a s:censored:storm like Ontario has never seen before.
McGuinty will have no choice but to replace him and put him out to pasture like an old neutered racehorse.

Actually Bryant has some experience with cases like this. However after 21 months whatever is done will be seen by some as too little too late and no matter what is done some will be unhappy.

Itís no joke that many around these parts are saying that somebody is going to get killed, itís that dangerous right now.

No I donít expect him to even think he can get away with some of the stuff heís pulled in the past because he has to be aware that one misstep and his career could seriously be jeopardized.

Both sides have waited too long for resolution.

Watchdog
November 3rd, 2007, 12:10 PM
Bryant probably has enough swindled money squirrelled away to last him the rest of his life so I dont think he would be too worried about being put in the pasture. In the meantime let him deal with some real " ticking time bombs" .

seeker
November 3rd, 2007, 06:55 PM
Actually Bryant has some experience with cases like this. However after 21 months whatever is done will be seen by some as too little too late and no matter what is done some will be unhappy.

It’s no joke that many around these parts are saying that somebody is going to get killed, it’s that dangerous right now.

No I don’t expect him to even think he can get away with some of the stuff he’s pulled in the past because he has to be aware that one misstep and his career could seriously be jeopardized.

Both sides have waited too long for resolution.

It is a bad situation and even though I have not been following it that closely I cannot understand why McGuinty hasn't given it more priority.
Now to put Bryant in charge of it? For anyone that has had dealings with or even paid attention to how he deals with matters, one can't help but think the Dalton still isn't serious about getting the problem resolved.
I have been driving though Calodonia off and on all summer on my way to the dragstrip near Cayuga and at one time we were reading signs on people's lawns. I cannot remember the wording but it gave me the feeling it was the town against the Aboriginals. That alone not what I have read in the papers that made it clear to me that there is/was serious trouble brewing. I understand that to any government issues lke this are to put it lightly a "hot potato" . But to almost ignore it until after the election could do nothing but make it a worse situation not better.

If McGuinty did this to punish Bryant and it does go bad it should not just be Bryant's fault it should blow up in mcGuinty's face too but it won't. He probably learned from the mistakes Harris made and will keep himself isolated.
Even though I haven't made it too clear and have really only mentioned Bryant I do feel for the people. But I am not so sure the people that have to power to resolve it do, especially if what I think is going on at Queen's Park is the case. Let's hope for a real resolution but to do that I think the provincial and federal governments have to work together. I don't have much hope for that happening anytime soon either.

seeker
November 3rd, 2007, 07:13 PM
Bryant probably has enough swindled money squirrelled away to last him the rest of his life so I dont think he would be too worried about being put in the pasture. In the meantime let him deal with some real " ticking time bombs" .

During the last term their favourite solution to a problem was to ban or propose a ban , Sushi, chocolate bars, dogs, Hondas etc. They will need to try a new tactic because there is nothing to ban on this one.

twodogsandacat
November 4th, 2007, 09:26 AM
I think I saw that Question Period! but have you seen this??? And remember that Rosario was AFRAID of Dogs... guess he is over it.... this is Rockys
"don't blame me I voted NDP" pic

Anybody that is afraid of dogs or believes in the ban should spend a day with Rocky because that dog is so darn sweet.

twodogsandacat
November 4th, 2007, 11:26 AM
The article below definitely indicates that Bryant has been demoted and if McGuinty is going to send any out to walk into a minefield Bryant’s been chosen to do it. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

Source: http://www.thestar.com/News/Ontario/article/273368

There can be only one boss in this family, only one premier.

Dalton McGuinty sent that message loud and clear Tuesday.

After conferring with his advisers, he shuffled his cabinet, ousting four ministers, promoting 10 backbenchers and, significantly, moving four of the seven people apparently jockeying to be his successor.

While the premier insists he will contest the 2011 election, the shuffle proved he is astutely aware of the nascent leadership race.

Like the calculating Michael Corleone in The Godfather trilogy, McGuinty emphasized his manoeuvring was not personal, but strictly business.

"You just gotta make a judgment call. ... In order to do that, I had to take some people out," he said.

McGuinty was alluding to the four rubbed out of cabinet, but his comment might as well have referred to the demotion of one lieutenant.

Aboriginal Affairs Minister Michael Bryant, who had been an activist attorney general, banning pit bulls, outlawing street racing, and seizing crack houses and marijuana grow-ops, was slapped down for daring to hold leadership ambitions.
In a Queen's Park version of "keep your friends close, and your enemies closer," McGuinty also anointed Bryant Government House leader, meaning he'll have to stay near the Legislature conducting tedious procedural business instead of travelling the province and garnering headlines.
But rather than laying low, Bryant immediately hit the microphones and pledged in the coming weeks to visit Caledonia, site of an almost two-year-old native standoff.

"I'm going to try to make the most of it," Bryant said of his new post.

His successor is Attorney General Chris Bentley, in whom McGuinty reportedly sees a lot of himself.

Like the premier, Bentley is a lanky, low-key, non-threatening lawyer, who maintains a shy aloofness from the media.

He is the type of inoffensive candidate who could be many Liberal delegates' second or third choice at a leadership convention and emerge as a consensus winner from the back of the pack as McGuinty did in 1996.

Finance Minister Dwight Duncan, one of the convention rivals McGuinty surprised 11 years ago, may also make another run for leader. By shifting him to the treasury from energy, the premier showed his faith in Duncan.

Duncan's elevation is probably a setback to any leadership hopes of his long-time friend and fellow Windsor-ite, Economic Development and Trade Minister Sandra Pupatello.

Pupatello, who was not shuffled from her key portfolio, is unlikely to run if Duncan does, and vice versa.

Education Minister Kathleen Wynne, who also remains at her same post, becomes the most powerful woman in cabinet.

Wynne, a giant killer whose toppling of Progressive Conservative Leader John Tory in Don Valley West on Oct. 10 proved she is a strong leadership contender, is now chair of cabinet.

Another front-runner in the eventual leadership race is Health Minister George Smitherman, who kept his portfolio Tuesday.

While Smitherman could now be considered the "underboss," McGuinty made a teeming field of potential successors even more crowded by promoting Jim Watson to municipal affairs and housing.

Watson, previously demoted from consumer and business services to health promotion, won his way back into the premier's favour with his superb communications skills.

babyrocky1
November 4th, 2007, 01:51 PM
"Im going to try and make the most of it" God Help us all!
The most press of it? The most exploitive moves to get my face in the media Most of it ??????????
My nightmare may be coming true, if he runs for leadership Ill have to join the Fiberal party just to vote against him:wall:

babyrocky1
November 4th, 2007, 01:53 PM
Anybody that is afraid of dogs or believes in the ban should spend a day with Rocky because that dog is so darn sweet.
Awww shucks! But your sooo right LOL!

twodogsandacat
November 4th, 2007, 04:06 PM
I'm thinking of joining too for the exact same reason. Think they'll have us? :laughing:

And as for Rocky, he is a sweet heart. I was very impressed with him. In fact when I met him there was a lady in a wheelchair with a small lapdog that wanted to say hi to Rocky. Looks like there are still people Bryant hasn't convinced yet.

seeker
November 5th, 2007, 05:25 PM
The article below definitely indicates that Bryant has been demoted and if McGuinty is going to send any out to walk into a minefield Bryantís been chosen to do it. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

Source: http://www.thestar.com/News/Ontario/article/273368

There can be only one boss in this family, only one premier.

Dalton McGuinty sent that message loud and clear Tuesday.

After conferring with his advisers, he shuffled his cabinet, ousting four ministers, promoting 10 backbenchers and, significantly, moving four of the seven people apparently jockeying to be his successor.

While the premier insists he will contest the 2011 election, the shuffle proved he is astutely aware of the nascent leadership race.

Like the calculating Michael Corleone in The Godfather trilogy, McGuinty emphasized his manoeuvring was not personal, but strictly business.

"You just gotta make a judgment call. ... In order to do that, I had to take some people out," he said.

McGuinty was alluding to the four rubbed out of cabinet, but his comment might as well have referred to the demotion of one lieutenant.

Aboriginal Affairs Minister Michael Bryant, who had been an activist attorney general, banning pit bulls, outlawing street racing, and seizing crack houses and marijuana grow-ops, was slapped down for daring to hold leadership ambitions.
In a Queen's Park version of "keep your friends close, and your enemies closer," McGuinty also anointed Bryant Government House leader, meaning he'll have to stay near the Legislature conducting tedious procedural business instead of travelling the province and garnering headlines.
But rather than laying low, Bryant immediately hit the microphones and pledged in the coming weeks to visit Caledonia, site of an almost two-year-old native standoff.

"I'm going to try to make the most of it," Bryant said of his new post.

His successor is Attorney General Chris Bentley, in whom McGuinty reportedly sees a lot of himself.

Like the premier, Bentley is a lanky, low-key, non-threatening lawyer, who maintains a shy aloofness from the media.

He is the type of inoffensive candidate who could be many Liberal delegates' second or third choice at a leadership convention and emerge as a consensus winner from the back of the pack as McGuinty did in 1996.

Finance Minister Dwight Duncan, one of the convention rivals McGuinty surprised 11 years ago, may also make another run for leader. By shifting him to the treasury from energy, the premier showed his faith in Duncan.

Duncan's elevation is probably a setback to any leadership hopes of his long-time friend and fellow Windsor-ite, Economic Development and Trade Minister Sandra Pupatello.

Pupatello, who was not shuffled from her key portfolio, is unlikely to run if Duncan does, and vice versa.

Education Minister Kathleen Wynne, who also remains at her same post, becomes the most powerful woman in cabinet.

Wynne, a giant killer whose toppling of Progressive Conservative Leader John Tory in Don Valley West on Oct. 10 proved she is a strong leadership contender, is now chair of cabinet.

Another front-runner in the eventual leadership race is Health Minister George Smitherman, who kept his portfolio Tuesday.

While Smitherman could now be considered the "underboss," McGuinty made a teeming field of potential successors even more crowded by promoting Jim Watson to municipal affairs and housing.

Watson, previously demoted from consumer and business services to health promotion, won his way back into the premier's favour with his superb communications skills.

That is an awesome quote."There can only be one boss"

So if this was the late 1920s and Dalton was Capone, Bryant would be wearing cement overshoes about a mile south of the north shore of Lake Erie.

babyrocky1
November 8th, 2007, 12:09 AM
I'm thinking of joining too for the exact same reason. Think they'll have us? :laughing:

And as for Rocky, he is a sweet heart. I was very impressed with him. In fact when I met him there was a lady in a wheelchair with a small lapdog that wanted to say hi to Rocky. Looks like there are still people Bryant hasn't convinced yet.
Do I think they will have us???? LOL they won't know who we are til its toooo late LOL:D

I was thinking about who that woman was and I remember now, her "lap dog" was a chihuahua and was always trying to beat on Rocky! LOL
..... the little guy wasn't fixed!
The lady really loved Rock though!

When I first brought Rocky home to the Co-op, YIKES almost nine years ago.... there were some people that were apprehensive but he won them all over in short time. Thats at least 200 "pittie" educated people that he is responsible for:thumbs up