Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

aww!!! just one thing left to say

heidiho
May 28th, 2004, 11:22 AM
Gonna keep the puppy,cant give him up!! After last night and reading what you wrote he is staying with me...Take care everyone,please dont reply,dont feel like coming back to this website,but i will if someone answers this...Have a great day,i know i will....

Chany
May 28th, 2004, 11:34 AM
Sorry heidiho but I just had to answer. :rolleyes: I know you love your dog and you say he's good to you any other time except eating right? So please, please ,please just let him eat in peace. Isn't there somewhere you can leave his water and put food down for him without having to walk by while he's eating? I'm almost positive in time he'll relax about it. But he's agressive about it for some reason. Can you try just letting him eat his meals in peace for a couple of weeks or more by himself and when he realizes its not going to get taken away from him because he's done something wrong I'm sure it will get better.
I'm having a hard time understanding people's need for doing this. You have no small children around and even if you did he's needs an area by himself. Please just try this for awhile.

heidiho
May 28th, 2004, 12:04 PM
Well i just dont get him,so i am even more confused now.This morning i put his food down,made him sit then i went into other room told him to go eat,he went to his bowl ate a couple of pieces,then came over to me,i said damien go eat he went back to food bowl would not eat at all,laid by my feet when i got ready,so i went over to his food said come on lets eat,he wouldnt i sat on the floor with bowl in my lap.he still would not eat,he just sat there,so i started taking some out of bowl put in my hand and then he ate it,so i hand fed him he just layed there while i had bowl in my lap,and the only way he would eat was if i put my hand in his bolw and fed it to him myslef.I DONT GET IT!@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What is going on now??????? No growling or anything,so i am big time confused now..I let him sleep with me last night,it was so sweet,he layed beside me on pillow,then went to the end of the bed,slept the whole night,i just love him so much,already cried at work today when someone asked me about him............... :( :confused: :( :confused: :confused: :( :confused: :(

Princesss04
May 28th, 2004, 12:11 PM
Is he actting sick????? :confused:

Chany
May 28th, 2004, 12:13 PM
You need to RELAX!! :D He will eat! You are making a mountain out of a molehill as the old saying goes. Damien has his own personality. At least he wasn't growling at you this morning. Thats a good thing! You are worrying about this way too much. If you are constantly worried or tense around him the dog will sense it. Try to just have fun with him this weekend. Maybe he's playing mind games with you. Sorry but really kid relax! He's not a newborn baby and if he's not growling at you then great!
Quit worrying about this for now. Feed him, leave him alone and enjoy yourself. Neither one of you can be happy if your always this tense!
Have a great weekend and let us know how its going later? K? ;) :D

Luba
May 28th, 2004, 12:16 PM
Regardless he's a pup left alone for over 8 hrs a day!!

HE NEEDS MORE THEN THIS!!

Goldenmom
May 28th, 2004, 12:26 PM
Luba, you and I agree to disagree, at time ;)

In all honestly, there are many, many households that have pups and dogs left alone 8 hours of the day. Because a family works, does not mean they cannot have animals. The ideal situation would be to have someone come in at lunch and quickly let him out etc. But sometimes that is just not possible.

In our house, my girls and foster boy sleep all day long. I suspect most dogs do. I leave the radio on for them and lots of toys etc. They each get a Kong stuffed with treats and peanut butter before I leave every morning.

I think that Damien should be able to be left out of the crate soon. He sounds like a pretty good boy. My girls were able to be out of the crate all day at 9 months of age approx.

Quality time and exercise should be made before and after work until bedtime. These dogs need lots of exercise.

Heather

Luba
May 28th, 2004, 12:36 PM
No pup should be alone and unfeed for 9/10 hrs at a time!

I wouldn't even want to leave an adult dog that long.

Pups need supervision, closeness and to spend as much time with us as possible. They need to go out 'a lot' they need special feedings and they need to be with people.

I completely disagree wont' budge an inch, centimetre or millimetre on this one!

This pup deserves BETTER!

mona_b
May 28th, 2004, 12:53 PM
Maybe he is getting used to you hand feeding him.Which to be honest is not a good thing.... :(

Goldenmom,this is why petsitters where invented...... :D

As for dogs/pups sleeping all day,I've yet to see one....LOL

My boys are up in age.They are 8 now,they are still active and don't sleep all day.

Spendig 8 hours in a crate for a pup is not good.Especially a GSD...I have 2.And I have been raised with this breed..They have never been crated.Crating was not a big thing then.And they had free run of the house at 5-6 months of age.

Before getting a pup,things have to be thought out first.That's a given..That also goes for who will let the pup out and feed him/her at lunch while at work.

Yes these dogs need lots of exercise,but not at this age.They shouldn't do to much running and jumping.

A growing pup at this age should be fed 3xs a day and not be in a crate for 8 hours.It can and will effect his joints later on.

heidiho,have you tried to have him out of the crate and you leave for about 15 mins?Try it,see what he does.

Goldenmom
May 28th, 2004, 01:03 PM
Yes, you are correct Mona, petsitters are around for that. It should be looked into by Heidi.

I'm not getting into a back and forth thing here again. I'm not an expert, neither is anybody else here. We are here for suggestions and advice only and what works for one dog, may not work for another.

My last post, again, on this issue. I surrender.

Heather

Luba
May 28th, 2004, 01:18 PM
Heather

I'm very strong in my opinion and not to make you feel bad, I'm sorry if you do.

But as mentioned, a pet sitter to take the pup out atleast once for a walk and some company and a feeding would be ideal!

Lets remember dogs are pack animals and nobody is an expert but common sense says it's not fair for them to be alone.

:D

heidiho
May 28th, 2004, 01:24 PM
See this is why i get mixed messages,half of you say hand feed then half says dont...As for the crating i got a swing gate so starting monday he will get the kitchen,when he gets older he will get living room and kitchen.I have looked into pet sitters and i said that before not alot out here that i found..And yes my puppy does sleep alot also,when i am home all day,that is what he does half of the time.Thanks to the few out there with positive replys..And no he is not acting sick,was full of piss and vinegar,i think you might be write he probably is messing with my mind,i am gonna chill out and go with the flow.This dog loves me as much as i love him,and if he has to live in an apt. i believe he will be just fine cause he is with me...Dont need anymore negative comments about how i take are of my dog,i am also sure that i am not the only one with a pet who has to work 40 hours a week,and i am sure those people take care of there pets just as well as you who dont work...My dog is extremley happy it shows....

Lucky Rescue
May 28th, 2004, 02:16 PM
Heather, of course people can have animals when they work all day. I always did.

The only thing I disagree with is people getting puppies when they work all day. How can a young puppy be properly trained, supervised and socialized when they are sitting in solitary confinement all day, every day, (and often all night too!) just at the age when they are most impressionable?

If you work a normal work day, you really should get an older dog. We can't just think "I WANT" - we must also think of the welfare of the animal too.

Sadly, the average owner is not as diligent and knowledgeable as I'm sure you are, and many of these dogs end up in shelters because they are "Hyper" or not housetrained or obedience trained.

heidiho
May 28th, 2004, 02:20 PM
When i got him i didnt have to work,so from 7 weeks old,til about 3 months i was with him everyday and night,he is housebroken goes to door when he wants to go potty,he is very smart..But things change and it is what it is,i am single have bills tp pay so i work full time.People that meet him are very impressed,so i must have done something right...He is my responsibility and i will deal with it...

heidiho
May 28th, 2004, 02:22 PM
HE WOULD NEVER EVER GO TO SHELTER,dont worry about that,that is not an option.He is not a bad dog,matter of fact probably smarter then the average dog....

Luba
May 28th, 2004, 02:26 PM
Yes LR I should have worded it your way, it's just this topic and this specific individual is still doing a dance with the dogs life!

Selfishness should never stand in the way of providing a better home for the dog!

Chany
May 28th, 2004, 02:58 PM
Goldenmom, I'm in total agreement with you.
I must confess that 2 days a week Abbey is crated during the day for 7 1/2 hours. We have no alternative. And I dare someone to come on here and tell me how my dog is abused or neglected because that will be one arguement I won't back down from.
There are no walkers or sitters around here and we live in the country. We tried having her gated off only to come home one day to her having jump the gate and destruct the house. Thank God not destroy! But we're not taking that chance. It works, some people don't like it, don't use it. For others its a solution. C'est la vie!

heidiho
May 28th, 2004, 03:00 PM
You act like the home he is in now is abusive,i take very good care of him,like i said he is going to have kitchen,he is only home alone 3 days a week,the other two he goes to my friends house to play w/her doberman,the other 2 days we are together 24/7.. If i do come across someone i have agood feeling about and really seems to be someone that will take really good care of him,i just might do it,this is not just something i can say ok,see ya!!! I do have a very strong attachment to him,that will take a long time to get over.But i will do what will be best for him....

Chany
May 28th, 2004, 03:05 PM
Heidiho, you have absolutely no reason to think that you should get rid of Damien unless he is biting you and even that can be changed. If he's not abused and your feeding him and loving him thats all you have to worry about no matter what any of us say on here!
No one has the RIGHT to judge any one's lifestyle. Your way may not be my way but as wise " WOODY" once stated thats one of the great things about this country.

LavenderRott
May 28th, 2004, 03:14 PM
This is exactly one of the reasons that I left for a while. While I admire some of the rescue work that a lot of people on here do, I am stunned by the amount of "if you are not doing it my way, you are doing it wrong" responses that people get.

LOTS of people work and crate their dogs while they work during the day! LOTS of people who do this have wonderful, well-adjusted, well-trained dogs. Just because someone doesn't have the money to have a stranger come into their home and put their dog out, doesn't mean they are not a good owner.

Chany
May 28th, 2004, 03:16 PM
Bless you! I took a little break to! But I think I'm an addict! Anywho now I'm really really GLAD YOU'RE BACK!!!! :D :D

heidiho
May 28th, 2004, 03:21 PM
Chany, thanks,believe me this dog is loved on probably more than ishould,i let him sleep with me last night,he slept on the pillow right next to me,see things like that just really kill me..or how when i take a shower i tell him to lay down,and he lays at the door to the bathroom til i come out....god i love him..

heidiho
May 28th, 2004, 03:23 PM
Lavender rott!!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU..............I DIDNT THINK I WAS A BAD PERSON,AND I DO M,AKE UP FOR IT AS SOON AS I WALK IN THE FRONT DOOR,,,,,,,,

cutelittlemako
May 28th, 2004, 03:41 PM
Heidihi, if you want to read a really good book about dogs, you should read "Bones would rain from the sky" by Suzanne Clothier. It's a great book. It's a book about how to communicate with your dog. It addresses agression problems with dogs, and ways to take care of it. She explains what she does when clients come in with agressive dogs. There are many ways to go about working this out - but mostly the book explains how to relate to your dog and how to start by looking at what he is going through. It's very good! It's not a training manual either, which can be dry and are all the same from one to the other. She is also against any type of negative reinforcements, so it really focuses on the positive reinforcements and letting the dog come to you instead of you forcing him to do something!

This book is also good for anybody who just love animals! I really enjoyed it!

heidiho
May 28th, 2004, 03:44 PM
I will go to library this weekend and get it,is it a new book or old??

cutelittlemako
May 28th, 2004, 03:46 PM
Pretty new I think, no more than 5 years. If you want any other info on the book let me know, I have it here.

heidiho
May 28th, 2004, 03:54 PM
I will probably just go to barnes and noble and buy it,thanks..It is amazing to me how differnet having a gs dog that is so smart compared to having dachsunds my whole life,whole different ball game.....

Luba
May 28th, 2004, 04:47 PM
Others seem to find it acceptable that a puppy is left alone for 8-10 hours a day?

This has nothing to do with 'do it my way or no way'.

NO pup should be left alone for that long, regardless of breed. This is not a 'news flash sudden development or new information' this is standard practice when getting a pup. Older dogs can be left for longer periods of time, pups CANNOT!!

This would be like putting a baby in a crib and leaving it for hours.

This is a very crucial time in this dogs life and that is what most of you are neglecting to see.

Chany
May 28th, 2004, 04:50 PM
R U kidding me? You're seriously going to compare dogs to kids? We're not neglecting to see anything. Most of us live in reality, come join us sometime.
You might like it.... :D

Lucky Rescue
May 28th, 2004, 05:11 PM
Most of us live in reality, come join us sometime.

I certainly live in reality - wish I could take a vacation from reality sometimes!:p

I am NOT calling anyone abusive, neglectful or a bad owner. I am merely saying that, IMO, leaving a puppy in a shipping crate ALL day, every day, and then again overnight is not in the puppy's best interest. Not 1 , or 2 or 3 days a week - but ALL DAY 5 days a week. Would YOU (in general, not anyone in particular) like to spend all your days in a closet?

Dogs are not cage pets, and anyone who wants a dog and is not home all day should expect some messes or some damage for awhile anyway. That is part of the price of having dogs when no one is home.

I have 3 cats now who scratch the furniture, put hair all over the place and break things. In fact, they just broke an item of great sentimental value to me.:( Would anyone agree with putting them in cat carriers all day every day, and then again all night? Just curious...

Finally, these boards are for discussion. IF everyone agreed about everything, we wouldn't need them. :D I'm not gonna leave just because everyone doesn't agree with me.;)

Chany
May 28th, 2004, 05:25 PM
I don't know maybe? I am not willing to let my house be destroyed because of my love for my pets. I love my children more and there is no way I'd let them put holes in my walls.
Do I think its fair Abbey is in there 2 days a week? No but thats life. Do I think its fair that my husband and I work our assess off without any handouts
and pay top taxes to support people who live off the government? No but thats life. Sorry getting off topic. ;) All I'm saying people probably feel bad enough on their own without having people get ignorant with them about it.
The dog will survive bottom line. And you can't honestly sit there and tell me that you know these dogs are feeling neglected or abused. I'm sure they get used to the routine. Dixie goes to her crate to nap all the time. She has a bed in our kitchen/ dining too but she divides her time equally between them. The crate is not horrible. I do agree maybe the dog should be allowed in the bedroom with you at night but again there is conflicting arguements there. Who is right and who is wrong? However Abbey is not allowed. I don't see it harming her in anyway. Its routine like I said. She automatically knows when I have certain clothes on its crate time.
But we really shouldn't compare our dogs to our most precious things of all and thats our kids. I love my dogs and would do anything for them but they are at the bottom of our pack. Like I said before as long as they are loved and taken care of it shouldn't matter where they live or what they live in.JMO :D Sorry.

Luba
May 28th, 2004, 05:28 PM
I am making a comparison to try and emphasize a point.

Both are young souls which need attention, care, nursing, socialization and company as well as structure.

Chany
May 28th, 2004, 05:31 PM
As far as people leaving some people take this seriously insults and everything
I like hearing different opinions and I it doesn't bother me to have an intelligent arguement but sometimes the intelligence level goes down and stubborness steps in. But all in all I like this forum. I'll like it more in the winter though when there is less to do. ;) :D

Luba I know you're thinking of the dogs best interest but life isn't that simple and easy. ;) Everybody's situations are different and Sadie is one lucky little lady, but that doesn't mean people shouldn't have pets just because their situations aren't ideal. :)

Lucky Rescue
May 28th, 2004, 05:43 PM
All I'm saying people probably feel bad enough on their own without having people get ignorant with them about it.

Most of us live in reality, come join us sometime.

it doesn't bother me to have an intelligent arguement but sometimes the intelligence level goes down and stubborness steps in
:confused:

some people take this seriously insults and everything

The only insults I"ve seen in this thread are the above - from you.;) Agree?

doesn't mean people shouldn't have pets just because their situations aren't ideal.

Again, NO ONE said any such thing. I PERSONALLY do not agree with leaving little puppies in isolation in crates all day. That is my OPINION. Does that make me "ignorant", less intelligent or insulting?

mona_b
May 28th, 2004, 06:03 PM
Ok,lets talk about another matter here.

Financial obligations on pet care.

heidiho has also mentioned she wouldn't know what to do if something(medicaly,sorry can't spell today.lol) happens to Damien..She doesn't have the finances.No not all vets accept payment plan.I have explained the health problems of this breed to her.

Panosteitis=close to $3000....That's what my cousin payed when her GSD got it as a pup.And her dog got it at the age Damien is....GSD's are prone to this big time.

Bloat emergency surgery=$1200.....Friend lost her St.Bernard to it at 8 months of age...Again,GSD's are prone to it because they are one of the deep chested dogs.

I just don't think enough research was done on this breed when buying him.

And it is GSD...Not GS....This is the only breed that the name has dog in it....German Shepherd Dog........... :D

Luba
May 28th, 2004, 06:09 PM
Chany, this is a puppy, not an adult dog! Big difference.

Thanks for what you say about Sadie but I would never have gotten a pup if someone were not able to be home with her regularly. It's not fair to her! It's not that she is lucky, it's just thats how I feel it should be.

I agree on the financial situation as well Mona and hopefully she may consider that. It may take unfortunately some situation that leads her to the vets before she finds out how much things can / will cost.

Rest assured most of us have given exhausting amounts of assistance and advise to heidiho. It's just not worth it anymore, atleast I don't think so! In one ear, out the other (or eyes lol).

cmt489
May 28th, 2004, 06:10 PM
And it is GSD...Not GS....This is the only breed that the name has dog in it....German Shepherd Dog........... :D

The only one in English that is... The Inu in Shiba Inu means dog in Japanese... :p

Oh the useless knowledge we amass about our kids :D

Michelle and Oliver, the Shiba Dog

Chany
May 28th, 2004, 06:14 PM
Touche! L.R. Touche! But the key words are " in this thread ". But no your opinion doesn't make you any of those things. ;) Just like the other people.
But it has been suggested in different posts that certain people shouldn't have dogs. Its just a matter of how things are said and how they are perceived. :D And the only insult I was intending was the reality one and even that is my off the wall humor ( sarcasm I believe and I'm quite good at that :D )others were just staements. So I should apologize to Luba. So Luba I am sorry. ;)

Mona, my dear we are always going to run into people like that but again it should be pointed out how wonderfully patient you were with her. ;) :D
Thats why I love my Visa's!! In case of emergencies!!! :)

Luba
May 28th, 2004, 06:19 PM
I don't take things to heart on here, it's a bb so big deal! ;)

Lucky Rescue
May 28th, 2004, 08:00 PM
Actually, there is a special credit card - "Care Credit" - (in Canada) that can be used only at the veterinarian. I don't have it and haven't thoroughly checked out the site, but it seems like a great idea.

Care Credit (http://planc.carecredit.ca/quebec/anglais/index.htm)

melanie
May 28th, 2004, 08:39 PM
oh that credit card is the best idea i have ever heard of and it would prepare for any accidnets ect or emergency vet bills, oh go canada you good thing, you forward thinking nation. :p

luba they keep pulling you into the middle of the scrum and trying to stomp on you like the football,
so i now have your feet and im draging you out backwards, were running for the carpark, doggies in tow,,
now lets go have a nice cup of tea and leave the fisty cuffs behind-
people will only bully you and im sick of seeing it so please come with me and runaway from this thread and bullying, i dont like it. :mad: and we can have a nice chat somewhere else without the antagonism and stress, now one sugar or two???

Luba
May 28th, 2004, 09:24 PM
Mel you made me laugh 'again'
lol

I love tea but I don't take sugar just milk.
With herbal tea, I love natural honey ohhh so good! Yum yum!

I do appreciate the sticking up for me, I really do it's nice. I really don't let it bother me (the poopies heads) cause if you stand up for what you believe in, nothing should bother you :D
Yet, you are a dear! My 'mate' 'down unda!