Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

oh dear..............

KimandAutumn
October 29th, 2007, 07:22 PM
The rescue agency that we adopted Blaze (12-1/2 year old dalmatian) from phoned me and said there is a man here in my city (Red Deer) who has an 8 year old neutered dalmatian that he's unable to keep and they were phoning to see if we wanted to adopt another Dalmatian because they don't have room for him and they hate to see him sent off to the SPCA.

Part of me says yes, the other one says no...........ack ..................... help!

luckypenny
October 29th, 2007, 07:33 PM
Well, I understand the part of you that says "yes" :) . Why does the other part say "no?"

JanM
October 29th, 2007, 07:33 PM
I'm happy to help - YES - adopt him! It's so nice for dogs to have a constant friend - a 4-legged doggie friend!

So, my vote is yes..

luckypenny
October 29th, 2007, 07:35 PM
:laughing: Is this the kind of help you were seeking, K&A?

KimandAutumn
October 29th, 2007, 07:36 PM
The no part comes from the practical, realistic side of me. I already own Blaze who at her age comes with her share of health problems that are not cheap but I'm willing to give her the best possible care and I also own a 16 month old Dane. We live in a townhouse and 3 dogs would be ....well .... alot of work in this small space.

Frenchy
October 29th, 2007, 07:39 PM
Are you sure you want to ask this question HERE ? :p

If I was you (well I would probably say yes :laughing:) just kidding. What I meant , you should make a list , pros and cons for you to have a third dog. And to sleep on it. Sometimes things are clearer in the morning , sometimes we get the answer to our questions .....

luckypenny
October 29th, 2007, 07:46 PM
I guess a couple of questions you would ask of yourself, which you probably already have, is how much energy does this 8 year old Dalmation have? Does he get along with other dogs? Do your pups get along with other dogs? Does he have any health issues? Can you afford them? Would the Rescue refer you to their vet for reduced fees if he does need some extra care? Do you have anyone in the home to help you exercise them all? Can you temporarily foster him to see how it may go? If all is fine, perhaps he can stay? I find that other than the walks (they all go separately), 3 really is no different than 2 :shrug:.

CyberKitten
October 29th, 2007, 07:47 PM
I agree with Frenchy - and I understand how you feel. It's a tough and difficult decision. You want the best for your current furbaby and worry about not helping the other guy - ie, what his fate will be. Maybe you could seek other alternatives to help that agency if you yourself are unable to take him?

I too would write a list of the pros and cons and then analyze them. Remember - only YOU can make this decision. Don't be pressured into it and don't allow yourself by the same token to thin you cannot do it. Ask if there is any financial help available should this other dog become ill - those kind of things? Write a list to ask them.

Good luck!!!

Jim Hall
October 29th, 2007, 08:09 PM
so the rescue calls you and lays a guilt trip on ya?

hmm i don't think that's very nice of them

haus1129
October 29th, 2007, 08:34 PM
so the rescue calls you and lays a guilt trip on ya?

hmm i don't think that's very nice of them

I agree....tugging at the hearts strings is terrible

growler~GateKeeper
October 29th, 2007, 10:36 PM
I'm happy to help - YES - adopt him! It's so nice for dogs to have a constant friend - a 4-legged doggie friend!

So, my vote is yes..

I second that :D

KimandAutumn
October 30th, 2007, 08:08 AM
I guess the problem I am having with this is that the rescue, who people please correct me if I am wrong, has an obligation to do health and temperment testing and the responsibility to disclose any issues and place him in the best possible home for him and for the adoptive family.

A phone call comes out of the blue because I happen to adore Dalmatians and gee no testing has been done on this dog, we know nothing about him or why he is up for adoption but here, please take him because his current owner says that he is very sweet but unable to keep him.

Another red flag is the fact there are not many dalmatians around here and about a month to two months ago I saw an ad on kijiji.ca about an 8 year old neutered dalmatian to "give away to a good home" but had to be a petless home as he chased cats and was dog aggressive. I have no idea if this is the same dog or not but that ad came to mind right after that phone call.

Love4himies
October 30th, 2007, 01:47 PM
What a hard decision, I agree with the list idea and you must think of your current furbabies first.

Frenchy
October 30th, 2007, 09:02 PM
Would the rescue allow you to take this dog as a foster for them ? If you see everything is going well , you could make a decision then. And you could always put him up for adoption , someone might be interested in him. So you would have saved a dog and find him his forever home .

Jim Hall
October 30th, 2007, 11:09 PM
REscue allow you to foster Don't all rescues say for any reasom you cant keep the adopted, you must surrender to the rescue?
At least in the US that would work both ways I certainly wouldn''t allow myself to take an animal I couldnt bring back for any reason.