Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Greetings - intro

CearaQC
October 29th, 2007, 03:58 PM
Hi,

I have one adult cat I obtained from a no-kill shelter, and now looking to add a lab/retriever dog to the home, but unable to locate such an animal due to the fact this town has no shelter, and the nearest one is a 5 hour drive away in Dalhousie, New Brunswick.

Just kind of hoping for the best and waiting to see what happens.

My cat is Linx, he's approx 7 years old, and very independent. Loves to act as the resident mouse/mole exterminator, and meows to get out about 4-5 times a day but is always quick to come back in for lovin' and treats. He'll do just about anything for treats and has been "trained" to give kiss on the cheek (well, really just press the wet nose against my cheek) and lift paw for treat. When treat time is over, we show our empty hands and he looks on in disgust and takes off until next treat time or cuddle session. He's a really funny cat. We live out in the country on 100 acres and if I ask him to go for a walk with me in the woods, he'll happily go.

I tell others quite often, it's frustrating in my position, to desire to add a dog to the home and unable to locate one. Hundreds of thousands (if not more) animals are in need of a home, and I can't seem to find one to bring home. Lots of shelters in Montreal and other big cities, but the smaller towns seem left out. Sure, there's always a breeder, but in my opinion pure breeds have a lot of potential health problems due to several reasons. There's also high cost involved for a registered purebred, and few options for transport. I'd rather have a mixed breed that needs a home, given the fact there's no shelter close by, and I don't trust the local pet shop, and very few pups/dogs avaiilable for adoption. I want a lab/retriever type and those seem even more difficult to get than a lap dog, which I do not want.

Anyway, it seems I can learn a lot here as I enjoy learning new things, and look forward to reading all the posts.

Thanks for reading.

allymack
October 29th, 2007, 04:28 PM
Welcome to pets.ca !! thanks for adopting your kitty cat:thumbs up and just keep looking for that dog, he(or she) is our there. and you definately have to post some pictures!! we love looking at everyones furbabies

Winston
October 29th, 2007, 04:29 PM
Welcome! You have come to the right place! Not only are there wonderful people to chat with here, there are also MANY involved in rescue!! I am sure there will be a few to come along your way! and heck we have had transportation arranged before! so I am sure we can help you find a loving companion!!

Cindy

P.S How about a picture of your kitty! We pretty much demand it here!
:thumbs up

badger
October 29th, 2007, 06:21 PM
Have you been on www.petfinder.com? You put in your postal code and a few characteristics of the dog you are looking for and voilà!

Worry about the transport later. It can be done.

Yes, let's have a picture of your chien chat (I have one too).

CearaQC
October 29th, 2007, 07:03 PM
Thanks for the lovely welcome messages!

Linx came from a no-kill shelter back when we lived in Montreal. Actually that day we took two cats, but about 3 years ago, the other one had to be put to sleep due to blocked urethra from crystals, thus causing kidney failure. I wasn't going to put him through the surgery and have no guarantee of his survival and just felt it best to say goodbye. His name was Nosey, and he lived up to that name. I remember after one Christmas, we put away all the holiday decorations in the attic and then went for a walk. When we came back, Nosey was nowhere to be seen. I thought maybe, just maybe, he might have gone into the attic up the wooden ladder. I went up there, opened up the hatch, and little Nosey's face peeked out like, "wassup?" The only pictures I have of him are not on the computer and just regular photos. But I'll post one of Linx that I took early this summer.

About the dog.. well, I've contacted a few people over the past weeks and all of them have said they want to see us in person before allowing us to adopt. That's fine and dandy for some areas, but not really feasible for us to just hop in the car and drive several hours and possibly not come home with a new furry friend, thus dashing hopes, and be out money. If there was some way to be pre-approved and then have a chosen animal kept for us, then we might take the time to travel to the nearest shelter. Otherwise, it's like a gamble. Well actually, I'm willing to take the trip but hubby doesn't like the idea of an animal being 5+ hours drive away.

Even on Petfinder, all the available animals are so far away, and really no available method of transport, and it's not likely family still in Montreal will be coming to visit us any time soon, seeing as it's almost a 12 hour drive to get here from there, depending on the weather.

Well, here's Linx. He's kneading in the air and purring and loving being outside. It's hard to take a pic when a cat is rolling around. lol He's a bit slimmer since the pic was taken.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k29/Ceara_QC/DSCF0037.jpg

CearaQC
October 29th, 2007, 07:04 PM
And another pic I just found. The magic word to get him to look at the camera was, "treats??"

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k29/Ceara_QC/DSCF0002.jpg

CyberKitten
October 29th, 2007, 07:21 PM
Awwwwwwwwwwwww, he is a cutie!!! I hope you find your lab - have you thought of seeking other rescues in NB and near the gaspé?

luckypenny
October 29th, 2007, 07:33 PM
Hello CearaQC :) .

Who is usually responsible for picking up stray animals in your region? Is there a pound, a municipal garage, etc? Try calling the city hall in your area and ask if you don't already know. Our dog Penny was picked up in a small country community and kept at the municipal garage before someone there thought to call a shelter to come and get her. They otherwise would have had her destroyed if left unclaimed. Animals that are unclaimed are often PTS so it would be great if you can find out.

If you can't, let us know. We have family both in Perce (Barachois) and Gaspe. I could always contact them for more info. Good luck in your quest for a new family member.

Linx is a beautiful kitty :cloud9: .

CearaQC
October 29th, 2007, 07:53 PM
have you thought of seeking other rescues in NB and near the gaspé?

Been trying to do that, and have only been told we have to deal with them in person before ever being permitted to take an animal. There's one in Bathurst and one closer in Dalhousie, but that's still over 5 hours away by car. I keep checking every day. So far, all the ones we've been interested in have already been adopted out quicker than we can send an email.

I've got an ad on the bulletin board at the local vet's office, put word in the local corner stores to keep watch for me, have called several people locally and no dogs so far are in need of a home (as in, already available), nor are there any pups. Have a wanted ad on a local website. This has been going on for months.

My only two options thus are, there's a situation locally where there are two golden mixes being tethered outside all day/night in all weather with no shelter. One had severe ear mites and an ant infestation but that was fixed after the owner was reported the first time. I was told in an email earlier today from one of the people involved and she said the other dog is basically living in his own excrement. I've seen the pup from across the street. The situation isn't good. Mom dog is tied up I think behind the house, not able to seen from the street and I haven't seen her yet. Her pup is on the front cement porch area on a very short tether. I said I would be willing to take the dogs and this is agreeable to all those involved in this rescue mission but I have to remain in "secret" so the owner won't know where the dogs would be going. But the owner refuses to surrender them and we are now just waiting on Anima hoping something will happen soon before the snow sets in.

The other option, is a woman has two female lab/border collie that are almost 1 year old, which she plans on mating with her male golden. From the way I understood it, the pups would be giveaways. But the females have not gone into heat yet, and probably won't bear pups until 2nd heat, and then it would be at least a year wait to get a pup and no guarantee they would be ok and healthy.

allymack
October 29th, 2007, 08:34 PM
are you or you hubby going up even remotely close to the shelters for anything (i.e. work, visit family) anytime soon, because i mean if you drive2 or 3 hours closer for work or what ever, you might aswell just stop at the shelter:D but just keep checking the sites, personally i find the best time too look at the site is at the most weird times, like when most people would be sleeping, (not sure if the petfinder site is like the one i was on) but as soon as a new animal was brought in they would put up its pic/info right away, and since most peopl are asleep at 2 am ,,you have a betetr chance to email the person before it gets adopted out.....thats just a thought..:shrug:, and thats what i did when i was first looking for a pup ..cause i had way to much time on my hands :rolleyes: but if you keep looking your work will definately pay off and you will find our perfect dog

CearaQC
October 29th, 2007, 09:29 PM
No, we don't venture away from home much for travel. May go to Montreal about once every two years. He retired early and I'm a housewife, so neither of us work and are home most of the time unless running errands.

Love4himies
October 30th, 2007, 07:05 AM
Welcome, Gaspe looks like beautiful country, one of the places on our list of travel destinations. My husband is from Bathurst so we end up turning south as soon as we hit Mont Joli so we haven't quite made it far enough east yet.

CearaQC
October 30th, 2007, 11:31 AM
Yes there's lots to do here! For those who prefer city life, this area might drive them bonkers though if they stay too long. lol

There are three rivers coming down off ancient mountains that really just look like mega tall hills, full of trees of all sorts. Each river has a marsh which connects to the bay and can be seen via Google Earth online. One of the marshes is right across the road from us so we keep an eye on the bird migrations of duck/geese and can hear the geese honking when it's quiet at night. There's a new bird lookout down the road and I always see people there. Lots of people come here to hunt the birds and go salmon or trout fishing. Saw a bald eagle once through the telescope. It was sitting on drift wood in the marsh looking all around waiting for a fish I guess.

Sandy Beach is just outside of town where you can walk quite a ways and have fun picking up sea glass. The water isn't that great for swimming until around August as it's too cold the rest of the year. They hold sandcastle building contests there in summer.

There's Forillion National Park, which has a neat waterfall in the spring, whale tours and historic fishing village to explore, and a remodeled general store which has empty reproduction boxes to simulate goods on shelves. One summer a couple of years ago, we drove the truck through the back dirt roads of Gaspe park (after Murdochville) and two young moose trotted beside the truck. It was amazing to see them so close up.

Lots of opportunities for hiking and exploring. The St. Jean river is the most interesting in my opinion,with places of rapids and small waterfall type areas with huge rocks.

Can explore an indigenous village, rent a canoe or sailboat in the summer to putt around in Gaspe bay. They hold a bike rally every summer around the bay and they always go by our house. This past summer at least 100 or more Harley riders went by the house. That was neat. They also do a classic car ride too around the area, and it's fun to see all the old cars. Everyone honks and waves. lol

In winter, there are snowmobile and cross country skiing trails. They have an ice sculpture contest on main street every winter. In the bay there are lots of ice fishing huts erected and just about any day you can see people riding snowmobiles on the ice. Although I would never have the nerve to do that. lol The municipalities mark a safe area on the ice though.

Close by (45 min drive) is Perce, with it's famous rock. On the way there you can see a campground called Indian Head, which has a rock formation facing towards land that looks like a profile of a native indian. Perce is always loaded up during the summer, lots of shopping and restaurants. They have a nice golf course there. The whole area is tourist friendly. From Perce, take a boat ride to the island and watch seals, sea birds, whales, orcas, etc.

It's funny, with all this eco-tourism here and care about animals and wildlife, we don't have an animal shelter. I'm currently working on fundraising event ideas good for a small community to help them form a shelter. They are looking for people to volunteer to serve on the board. And I was told the other day they have a building in mind and waiting to see if it's worth acquiring. They've started a rescue group too and have already rehomed a Husky.

luckypenny
October 30th, 2007, 11:43 AM
My late FIL used to call it "God's Country." He was born and raised in a little community just outside of Perce. Every Spring, he'd load up his van with his supplies and his dog, Peanut, and head up to spend several months there til it got too cold. When he was no longer able to drive, we would take him there and return to pick him up in the fall. The stories he shared about what it was like to grow up there 90 years ago were fascinating. The little one room school house that he and his siblings had to walk 3 miles to along the ocean still stands today.

We have the most wonderful memories of our vacations in Gaspe. You're very fortunate to live in such a beautiful part of the country.

CearaQC
October 30th, 2007, 07:43 PM
luckypenny,

I'm unable to PM you, but maybe the next time you were able to chat with your family, see what they know through the grapevine. I don't know anyone in Barachois at the moment.

I don't know who's responsible for picking up strays. I'll have to call around and see.

Thanks.

Frenchy
October 30th, 2007, 10:09 PM
My only two options thus are, there's a situation locally where there are two golden mixes being tethered outside all day/night in all weather with no shelter.

I heard about that .... will try to pm you (I think you have enough posts now)

Frenchy
October 30th, 2007, 10:10 PM
No I can't pm you :sad:

CearaQC
October 30th, 2007, 10:21 PM
Frenchy,

You may have been the person I corresponded with on my email and referred me this website. When I registered I didn't know the user name so I couldn't input the referral. I guess I should have asked, but didn't think of it until now. lol

It was someone from the Golden rescue website.

Frenchy
October 30th, 2007, 10:27 PM
It wasn't me , it's another member. But we did get your e-mail about the mixt goldens and we were trying to find help for you and those poor dogs :sad:

CyberKitten
October 30th, 2007, 10:28 PM
I too come originally from northern NB so know your area well. That's why I suggested other shelters. There is also a Freecycle in Bathurst where God forbid, some ppl give away pets sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!). Usually cats but I have seen dogs on there as well. I love labs too - I'll keep my eye out if I hear anything tho I live in Hfx now tho my folks still live in that part of the country.

It is a beautiful part of the world. I still own a woodlot in Eel River Crossing , near Dalhousie and have another on the Restigouche River. Love to run the river in the summer.

Good luck in your quest!!

CyberKitten
October 30th, 2007, 10:29 PM
I too tried to PM you to no avail - I think you need so many posts now, not certain. I do know some lab breeders (reputable ones, not byb's which you should not touch with a ten foot pole - you don't know what you are getting.) Many of them are in southern NB though and I realize the distance is an issue. However, I lost went to Va(Virginia) and bought a plane ticket for a Siamese from Montreal so I guess I'd do it, lol

CearaQC
October 30th, 2007, 10:34 PM
Thank you so much! My heart goes out to those animals and I can't bear seeing any animal living in such conditions. Last I heard from my contact about this, another call is supposedly being made to Anima. So all I can do is :fingerscr and :pray:

Today we had our first snow flurries of the year. ugh lol

luckypenny
October 30th, 2007, 10:37 PM
luckypenny,

I'm unable to PM you, but maybe the next time you were able to chat with your family, see what they know through the grapevine. I don't know anyone in Barachois at the moment.

I don't know who's responsible for picking up strays. I'll have to call around and see.

Thanks.

Barachois is about halfway between Gaspe and Perce. We have friends and family in the town of Gaspe as well. I'll try to reach some of them sometime this week and forward any info I get to you.