Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

A form of diaper rash???

Daiana
May 28th, 2004, 09:21 AM
I have a 1 year old Chihuahua, and I've notice lately, that he seems to well..........lick the underside of his tail, just before taking a poop, and just after. This morning I took a closer look, and it looks like there are tiny red spots on the underside of his tail, right by where it would touch his anus if you matched the two of them up. They may have been red from him licking the area, but when I looked later, they had gotten a bit browner/darker in color and weren't so red. When you touch them, it feels like a tiny scab or a patch of dry skin. I've checked him over completely, and this is the only place on his body that he has them. Could it just be irritated from touching the spot where the poop comes out? (kinda like a puppy diaper rash?)

I kind of feel stupid for asking, but what can I say, I worry about the little guy.

Is there any cream or something I can put there to help get some relief?

mona_b
May 28th, 2004, 09:33 AM
Please don't feel stupid for asking.... :)

There seems to be some type of irritation there.As for what to put on it,the only thing I can suggest it to take him to the vet and get it checked.This he can check it and find out the cause of it.

Sorry if I wasn't much help..... :(

Daiana
May 28th, 2004, 09:48 AM
Thanks Mona! Don't apologize - I should be the one thanking you for responding! I did plan on taking him to the vet, but since this place has such a wealth of information I figured I'd see if anyone had come across this before or had any ideas.

Thanks again!

mona_b
May 28th, 2004, 09:54 AM
Your very welcome.

I am sure the knowledgable one will come along soon.... :D

Daiana
May 31st, 2004, 08:29 AM
I took my little guy to the vet on Friday, and I was given some cream (called Panolog) to apply to the area. It's only been a few days, but I've already seen quite an improvement. The area started to scab over and is now healing. I've tried not to put the E-colar on him but instead after applying the cream, it's time to play! That gives the cream time to be absorbed, and he certainly isn't thinking about licking the area when he's having this much fun! The vet isn't completely sure what caused it, but said I should only be concerned if the rash starts to spread and then I'd need to bring him in right away. So far so good, so keep your fingers crossed for him! I'll bring him in for a follow up at the end of this week, and hopefully that will be that.

Thanks to everyone who responded!!!

Princesss04
June 1st, 2004, 10:27 AM
Good luck good to hear that your baby is feeling better and doing better. :D