Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Eating stuff from outside … what can I do to stop it?

Isolde
October 29th, 2007, 03:17 PM
I am a little bit baffled by this habit that Ivy has. We go outside and she tries to eat leafs (the more rotten / brown the better … yum :laughing: ) grass, cigarette butts :eek:, paper towels and earth! She knows that I will try to take it out of her mouth so she picks them up and chews fast to swallow … She would also try to run away from me.

A few days ago she took a few mouthfuls of earth and eat it :yuck:. It looks funny but unfortunately she got mucus in her stool because of this and she was a little bit “under the weather” for a few days.

She is a puppy (almost 5 months) but is this normal?

Some dogs like to eat grass and so I was thinking maybe it would be a good idea to get her a pot with grass for cats :o? Is that ok?

What can I do to stop her from doing this. Every time we go out and she manages to eat something she usually gets mucus in her stool and gets a little sick … :shrug:

TIA

BusterBoo
October 29th, 2007, 03:24 PM
:shrug: I think most dogs will eat "stuff" if they are allowed to......Buster LOVES leaves and sticks but he is learning "leave it". We taught him by keeping treats with us and when he picks something up we don't want him to, we say "leave it" and show him his treat once he looks at us. He does drop the "stuff" and then we give him his treat. We also keep him on a leash so that if he does pick something up we can correct him right away. Quite often all i have to do is say "leave it" and he looks for the treat!

5 month old puppies are very curious (and very quick!!!). If he is getting into things and having bad stools, I would definitely try and stop him.

Janie123
October 29th, 2007, 03:41 PM
Hmmmm.....Maybe being a puppy or maybe a vitamin/mineral deficiency?

rainbow
October 29th, 2007, 05:27 PM
I agree with BusterBoo. It is normal and the best way to correct it is to teach the "leave it" command.

Longblades
October 29th, 2007, 05:37 PM
Sounds like typical dog to me. Wait till she finds something really disgusting and stinky and learns if she rolls in it first there is still some left to eat. :yuck:

Ford Girl
October 30th, 2007, 12:16 PM
Hahhah! Yep, this is normal, and you need to teach the leave it and drop it commands, it helps. The older they get the better too. The best you can do it keep at it, and don't leave her unsupervised if possible.

My dog eats leaves to the point of constipation, grass, rocks, dirt, you name it....she eats it. :wall: Needless to say, she's never in the back yard unsupervised.

clm
October 30th, 2007, 01:25 PM
Oh how puppies love to eat everything and anything. Kleenex is a big hit, the leave it command goes out the window for that stuff. Have to catch the little monsters and yank the soggy falling apart mess out of their mouths. :laughing:

Grass, not so much of a problem. Tree bark is big these days, I'm forever telling them to leave the trees alone. :rolleyes:

My tri-coloured willows that were beautiful shrubs are now nubs. I don't worry about those, willows recover nicely. My Joe Pie Weed, same thing, cut back nicely to the ground by the boys. :laughing:

They love the hair algae that I rake out of the pond and they love the watercress from the pond. Those I let them have, never had any tummy issues with them eating those.

Nothing better than a TV remote though, they haven't eaten one yet, but close.....we're doing better at remembering to keep them up out of reach.

Cindy

SnowDancer
October 30th, 2007, 01:52 PM
My Eskimo will turn 3 years and 7 months on Thursday. I am still trying to solve this problem. Nothing is sacred outside and leave it only works if I have a cookie in my pocket and he has to make a choice. I am dreading the snow - he loves to eat snow - and what goes in must come out. There is often ice in the snow - and of course salt, de-icer - you name it - and frozen twigs, bark, pine cones etc. Some breeds are a little more prone to eating such things - mine seems to be at top of list.

Riluke
October 30th, 2007, 02:03 PM
Clm beat me to the punch on the Kleenex - Luke is notorious for going in the bathroom garbage to find Kleenex. He will eat anything..sod, dirt, sticks, bugs, paper, ....the list goes on.

Definately work on leave it. He likes to fight me on this one but we are getting better. Unfortuantely puppies are like babies and if they can get it their mouths they will !

BusterBoo
October 30th, 2007, 02:31 PM
Nothing better than a TV remote though, they haven't eaten one yet, but close.....we're doing better at remembering to keep them up out of reach.

Cindy

Aw yes......the Remote! This is a picture of the second one we have had in 1.5 years (hubby's daughter "forgets" to put things away....)

Ford Girl
October 30th, 2007, 02:33 PM
You should read the thread called: Things They've Eaten. You'd be amazed. :laughing: