Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat is unhappy, indoors and outdoors

ValerieField
October 28th, 2007, 07:56 PM
Hi everyone. I have two cats, both which were rescued.
My latest cat was rescued about 3 weeks ago, he has been
vet checked and needled.
Two weeks ago, another little cat started sleeping on my deck.
He sleeps there all day and night and considers this to be his home.
( I don't know why they always find my house...lol )
Anyway.....he wants desperately to come indoors and has his
little body pressed up against it. I have brought him in a few times,
and put him in the spare bedroom, which has food, water, kitty-
litter and a bed for him. He doesn't want to stay in the room. He cries loudly and
throws himself against the door. He is fine when I put my other cats
in a separate room and give him the run of the house. I have a bed
made up for him on my deck, but it's getting really cold in the nights,
with frosty mornings....and his bed is usually cold and damp by morning.
I don't want to confine my other two cats to one room, especially when
I have had one of them for three years and he is not used to being
in a room behind a closed door. This new little stray is really making me
feel guilty. Do I bring him in and let him cry and throw himself against
the door all night......or do I confine my other two cats to the room and let
him roam the house ? I don't want them all to be "together" until I have this
new cat vet checked. What would you do ?

Thanks for any advice
Valerie

krdahmer
October 29th, 2007, 12:12 AM
Thats a tough one... how soon till you can get him to a vet or at the least get some revolution on him? I know what you mean about them finding your house... I had one just invite himself in one afternoon. If it's getting colder and damp at night could you get a big rubbermaid to make an enclosed space for him to sleep in in the meantime before the vet visit? Oh and thank you and bless you for helping and caring for these wayward kitties! :angel:

badger
October 29th, 2007, 02:56 AM
Does he ever settle down in the spare room? How long have you left him there? Does it help if you go in and sit with him for short periods? I'd try during the day, when he won't interrupt your sleep, see if after a while he doesn't settle. Try playing with him, a great way of bonding, as well as providing some stimulation.

Maybe he's one of those cats who never got properly homed in the beginning; people seem to let the smallest kitten outside 'to play' without establishing a good bond first (putting to one side the whole inside/outside issue), so they never really identify it as home, just a waystation for food and warmies. They become almost semi-feral, badly socialized to people and end up drifting - or being chased - away. = one more hungry stray.

Unless he is hanging off the curtains or biting, what you have is a confused ex-pet who was never contained. A little persistence may be all it takes.

clm
October 29th, 2007, 06:16 AM
Looks like you've been adopted by another kitty :D
I'd get him to the vet ASAP for a checkup and shots so he can join you're happy family.
In the meantime, when you put him in his room. Stay with him for a while for some extra loving, give him some treats or maybe a little catnip. Once you've left him, let him make a fuss for a little while and hopefully he'll settle down.

Cindy

Love4himies
October 29th, 2007, 06:31 AM
Sounds like he is lonely and wants to play and have some attention. I would spend some time in his room with him, lots of love. I would not allow the kitties to meet until they have been vet checked, you don't want to risk your kitties getting anything.

I know how hard it is to listen to their meows, I am fostering 7 kittens, and they have to be locked in their room at night and while we are away for their safety.

CyberKitten
October 29th, 2007, 03:01 PM
I'd get him in a spare room, give him easy listening music, get to know him and give him mega attention and get him to a vet BEFORE ever letting him getr to know the other felines and work from there. Good luck!!!!

growler~GateKeeper
October 30th, 2007, 12:22 AM
you've got loads of great advice here I just wanted to say goodluck :goodvibes: let us know how it all works out