Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

min schnauzer 6 months old scared of eating

hoover 2007
October 28th, 2007, 07:35 PM
Hi Everybody: Not too computer literate and new to this forum: I have a question and I am hoping somebody has the same problem as me and can give me some advice. My min schnauzer 6 months old (yet to be neutered) is a family member together with 2 older cats. He has been acting very strange lately. He seems afraid of his food. He will not drink his water but will steal the cats! He will not eat his dry food. Tried several types Eukenuba, Nutro, Science Diet, Holistic. Finally I gave in as I had noticed he would steal the cats wet food. Not their dry food.! I gave him a Science Diet can of food. At first he wouldn't touch that then the cats came and took a few mouthfulls and he approached the food and with some coaxing ate the wet food. I do not really want him on wet food but what can I do? He seems really afraid of his food even the dish! and I have changed those also. Any ideas please. Thanks. Hoover 2007

t.pettet
October 28th, 2007, 07:57 PM
A dental check-up at vets might be a good idea.

Frenchy
October 28th, 2007, 09:15 PM
He may be afraid of his bowls too ..... My Bailey was afraid of his because his chain collar would make noise against his stainless steel bowls.

hazelrunpack
October 28th, 2007, 09:37 PM
We had a timid pup that would jump up and down in excitement at meal times. One day, he jumped high enough to knock the bowl out of my hand as I was taking it off the table. It was a stainless steel bowl and the clatter as it hit the table, then the floor, was enough to send my little guy running... Took him about 2 weeks before he'd eat out of that "dangerous" bowl again. :o

Has your pup had a noisy encounter with his bowl recently?

mummummum
October 28th, 2007, 09:56 PM
If it's a stainless steel bowl, perhaps he can see his reflection moving around on the sides of the bowl.

I tried giving my dogs water in a crystal bowl once and they barked like crazy at it. The sunlight was casting prisms as it hit the water shining through the glass. :rolleyes: