Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pet birds that end up outside

clm
October 28th, 2007, 05:10 PM
It may just be me, but I don't know how someone could lose a pet bird. I've kept them for years and if your bird is out loose in the house, you don't open doors or windows until the bird is back in his cage.
I've got another budgie hanging around. This is the 3rd day he's been around. In this cold, he's not going to last too long I don't think. Too skittish to even attempt to catch at the moment. Fortunately he's found my feeders and is coming down to eat. Beautiful blue with pure white wings. He's going to attract a hawk or owl for sure.

Cindy

t.pettet
October 28th, 2007, 08:29 PM
Carelessness, lack of vigilance. Poor wee bird in this weather.

krdahmer
October 29th, 2007, 01:23 AM
:sad: I've listened to ex-loogany-friends tell me stories about how they 'lost' their bird... and like you I can't imagine anyone being that dumb. But alas they are... :shrug: I will send that poor little birdy my prayers :pray:.

Shaykeija
October 29th, 2007, 02:24 AM
Do you have a old bird cage that you could hang up? He might think this is home and go in it? Water and food :shrug: maybe this could work..

clm
October 29th, 2007, 07:23 AM
I've got the cage out there, complete with food and water. Past experience tells me he's not going to go in. Not the first budgie I've seen, I've managed to catch 2 of them over the years, plus a cockatiel I still have. In all cases they were ready to come in and called to me from the fence. All jumped onto my hand once I approached.
This guy is enjoying his new found freedom at the moment, and if he wasn't hand trained or happy around people, he's not going to come to me.
He can get lots of food and water, I'm just worried about the cold and him getting eaten by a hawk or an owl.
I don't know how low the temp can get before he'll succumb to the cold.

Cindy

ancientgirl
October 29th, 2007, 09:47 AM
I hope you catch the little guy before it gets too cold for him.

clm
October 29th, 2007, 09:30 PM
Well, he survived last night, and it was 0 celcius when I woke up at 4:00 this morning. He was waiting for me with all the other birds at the front feeder when I got home. Can't get close to him, he's still to skittish, but he's holding his own at the feeder. He's still looking healthy. Such a pretty bird. I'm ever hopeful that I'll get him yet.

Cindy

ancientgirl
October 29th, 2007, 09:40 PM
Good luck getting him. I'm sure the other birds know how to survive out there, but a bird that was a pet will have a harder time. Poor little bird.

rainbow
October 30th, 2007, 03:43 AM
Good luck. :fingerscr :fingerscr :goodvibes: :goodvibes: :goodvibes: