Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

The Poop Machine

Janie123
October 28th, 2007, 04:48 PM
I don't know what to do with this dog. We have had her 2 years. I just took her for a walk,let her out in the back yard for 20 minutes and she comes in and runny poops all over the bedroom. I have tried EVERYTHING with this dog. We aren't the type to get rid of her. But does anyone have any suggestions? She will always have a home here because she will jsut get passed around the rest of her life with this problem and I can't do that to her. But it's upsetting and frustrating. We think she was pad trained because she goes on throw rugs but she missed big time this time. :(
It's unsanitary and frustrating. :shrug::cry2::eek::frustrated :(

ancientgirl
October 28th, 2007, 05:02 PM
Does she have some kind of a digestive problem? I'm guessing you have taken her to a vet and she's got no health issues. I've always heard that dry food makes poop firmer, so maybe mixing some of that with her wet?

Janie123
October 28th, 2007, 06:51 PM
I have been doing that and it seems to help except for this time. I can't afford to take her to the vet but may have to do without something to do so. She's not acting sick at all.:shrug:

ancientgirl
October 28th, 2007, 07:05 PM
Perhaps you can call them and talk to the doctor. They might be able to give you a suggestion about what to give her to see if that helps.

Could she have eaten something that didn't agree with her?

growler~GateKeeper
October 28th, 2007, 09:12 PM
What are you feeding her?

Frenchy
October 28th, 2007, 09:23 PM
Could be the food ,

Could be worms ,

Could be the water , do you have a well or is your water provided by the city ?

Dracko
October 28th, 2007, 10:07 PM
If it were me and I'd tried everything I'd think about putting out some pads. If in fact the dog was trained on them it would be better to make a designated place like in a basement. I know it's not "ideal" but better to change some pads if you can't untrain the dog than have to clean your things.

Janie123
October 29th, 2007, 01:56 AM
We have had this problem since we got Bonnie. She chooses to go on throw rugs. I put a pad in the laundry room but she ignores it. She is a sweet girl but not real bright. We call her out adorable airhead. I gave her some worm pills in case but it's still going on. I feed her Alpo mixed half.half with Kibbles dry food. Boo does very well on this and she normally does. But this one was just awful. I have tried everything to house train her but nothing works. I have seen her go outside but sometime,she will go out for almost half an hour and come in and poop and pee in the house. It's driving me crazy. I have never had this problem with a dog before.:shrug:

badger
October 29th, 2007, 03:35 AM
I think you should bite the bullet and take her to the vet. Runny stools are not normal, and may mean she has parasites or a bacterial infection. And if it has been going on for a long time, her problem becomes as much behavioural as physical, in other words she gets used to it (although clearly you do not :)). So start with a fecal exam. No more OTC worm pills, they don't always work and can be harmful.

If she has had this problem since you got her, there is a chance she wasn't properly house-trained from the beginning. So you have to deal with it as if she was a puppy: don't let her out to do her business, take her outside yourself and encourage her to go. Stay outside until she does go and when it happens, praise her like crazy, as you would with a puppy who is just learning. Take her out at regular intervals. And it goes without saying, walk her every day, increased activity might help.

Definitely think about feeding her a better quality food. Alpo is just terrible. Look in the food thread for ideas. It's more expensive but also more concentrated, so you end up feeding a bit less.

But start at the vet. A general exam and a fecal test won't cost you an arm and a leg, call around for prices.

I'd forget about pads in the house, it will only frustrate you further and you still have to deal with the clean-up.

No shouting when she slips up, it will make things worse, she doesn't get it or can't help herself. With consistency - and of course treatment if she needs it - this is fixable.

We'd love a picture of your sweet "poo machine'.