Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Underweight Dog How Much Food?

white wrabbit
October 27th, 2007, 09:59 PM
how much should i be feeding her? should i just give her 4 cups she is suppose to have?
she is underweight you can count ribs and see her hip bones.. she is also not the type of dog who eats her meals when you give it to her.. she eats all day long on what she is given.. she is now on some thing vet suggested to help.. (can't remember name) (still wish i could of went to the vet appointment with her hubby had to take her i had kids coming home at that time) i like she eats this way once cats and her get along hoping she will not eat cat food.. is there any thing extra i can feed her.. winter is coming.. she needs some fat on her... (i don't want to do caned if i don't have to)

i did order her a winter coat.:D. she will need it any way for our morning walks to bus stop.. with her thin coat

Lukka'sma
October 27th, 2007, 10:42 PM
Here is a link for lots of Satin Ball's, they are used to pack on the pounds quickly. If you google satin balls you will most likely get lots of other ways to make them too.

http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/health/diet4.htm

Frenchy
October 27th, 2007, 11:04 PM
Defenetly the satin balls ! Here's how I made mine :

ground beef (cooked)
rice (cooked)
raw eggs
cottage cheese
canned pumpkin (the puree , not the pie filling)
bread crums

rainbow
October 28th, 2007, 01:35 AM
:thumbs up for the satin balls from me too. What are you feeding her?

mummummum
October 28th, 2007, 07:08 AM
...and why are you opposed to canned? If she isn't eating her kibble it may be that she doesn't like the taste. If you aren't feeding a holistic kibble with a high protein value,definitely recommended. My dogs would eat wood chips if they were canned :D You could try mixing in some raw, green tripe with her kibble ~ THAT's super-duper healthy.

And if she won't eat that I'd have a good look at her teeth and gums

white wrabbit
October 28th, 2007, 09:11 AM
the vet gave her "Hills" prescription diet for large breed. (wants her on it for a month). as for apposed for the canned food if she is going to be a picky eater.. i don't want to get her started on it to fatten her up. then have a problem switching her back to the reg dry stuff.. eventually she will be on Acana. we have only ever used it as a treat once a month or after a vet visit and holidays (caned stuff)... but i am going to read more on those satin balls.. i am sure every few days one won't be so bad. if it helps her some..

she was at the vets on Friday for a check up.. other then her beaning only 30 pounds she was perfectly healthy.. blood test pending on if she is fixed or not..

how do i switch this tread over to where it was suppose to go in the pet food one.. how did it wind up here?

mastifflover
October 28th, 2007, 10:13 AM
What type of dog is it? And why use Hills go with a high quality food vets always recommend what they sell which is really not very high quality. How much weight does she need to gain? Satin balls are great for packing on weight. My last Mastiff needed to gain almost a hundred pounds and I did it with a good dry food and once in a while a few cans. And green tripe it is amazing and really gross but it has great health benefits. Boo was free fed he ate when ever he wanted. I had to be careful of bloat and not knowing if you have a deep chested dog or not if you do be very careful of how fast your dog eats and drinks. No exercise an hour before or after eating and no drinking immediately after exercise and room temp is best.

Frenchy
October 28th, 2007, 10:40 AM
i am sure every few days one won't be so bad. if it helps her some..

One every few days won't be enough. I gave Nelly one a day , hamburger size.

white wrabbit
October 28th, 2007, 11:48 AM
she needs about 20-30 pounds hubby said that the vet said.. (wish i could of went second hand info sucks)

She is a Doberman hound cross (probably bluetick if you go by pics) the hills is a lot better then what the kennel had her on when you look at ingredients..

i was looking at the fat balls.. the hamburger part.. does it have to be beef? we have deer in our freezer that i could use.. and i mean lot of deer... and deer is healthier then cow..

Frenchy
October 28th, 2007, 11:53 AM
M3X would be more helpfull than me for the deer question ... 20-30 pounds to gain , she will need those satin balls. Have you looked into other kibble ? Canidae doesn't have any corn in it ... Nelly was on it and the satin balls and gained about 20 lbs within a couple of months. You could also add some sardines into her kibbles , and eggs.

want4rain
October 28th, 2007, 01:30 PM
yep, im with the satin balls

deer meat (IIRC) has a lower fat content than beef. when making satin balls you want to use the fatty meat!!!

go with
5lbs of ground beef (raw)
8 slices of bread
6 eggs (with the shell, raw)

then add bread or cottage cheese/yogurt to either thicken or moisten.

or google different recipes to see what fits you. the important parts are the eggs and fatty ground beef fed raw. feed either a few hours before or after you feed kibble. if your dog really takes to eating raw food you can also look into raw feeding. several members have had a great deal of success. it made my fat cats skinny and my skinny cats chunky!!

you can also feed a meal of raw eggs on the shell using 1 egg per 10 lbs. very nutritional and should help in weight gain.

i dont see what deer meat woudl hurt though if you have a great deal of it. even with the bone in it if its NOT cooked!! my Mister eats it often, the organs have gone down well too!!

-ashley

white wrabbit
October 28th, 2007, 02:38 PM
i guess i have to go back to my original question.. should i just be giving her the 4 cups a day or should i not bother with that cuz she grazes on her food all day. and if she eats more she eats more. and sadly satin balls will be out.. hubby is not going to go for buying meat for the dog when he dosent even buy it for us unless it is chicken or fish and once in a while will split on a pig..

you can also feed a meal of raw eggs on the shell using 1 egg per 10 lbs. very nutritional and should help in weight gain.

so it is ok that i just give her some eggs to help fattener her up.. would this be daily? and crush egg shells in with it? now the pumpkin puree right from the pumpkin how about this with the eggs? i still have 4 pumpkins to carve. and might be able to ask a few neighbors to save for me if this will help.. what about the seeds in them? (will the eggs and pumpkin give her the runs?)

i'm trying to find ways that i can work with..

white wrabbit
October 28th, 2007, 02:57 PM
wait i should not say ways.. i should say ingredients i can use and have and won't cost a lot of $$

geisha
October 28th, 2007, 04:41 PM
Hi there.
Adding an egg a day 3 -4 times a week would help. Perhaps feeding pup twice a day instead of one feed per day would help as well. 2 cups in the morning and 2 cups in the evening. Table scraps are also a good idea to add weight. Who wouldn't like a bit of deer meat with their kibble. Make sure you're not feeding just bread, pasta or potatoes. Pumpkin is a good source of fiber but perhaps initially try feeding a tablespoon per day. Good luck.:thumbs up

white wrabbit
October 28th, 2007, 06:08 PM
she does make a good vacuum with 3 kids..:laughing: as for the feeding i did give her all 4 cups this morning (7:30ish) and she still has about 2 cups left.. and it is now (5pm) yeah i just got off phone with my step dad and he said try her out on the pumpkin a table spoon a day to make sure her stomach can handle it and don't worry about trying to fatten her up in the next few weeks give it time.. give her time to still adjust to us and relax. i still can't believe i forgot he use to breed dogs.. oh and once a week slip some cottage cheese in it..

geisha
October 28th, 2007, 11:16 PM
I noticed that you will be feeding your pup Acana after the Hill's is finished. Acana makes Premium (chicken based), Lamb & Rice, & Salmon & Potato. For variety you can rotate between all three for variety. It also prevents boredom. But yeah wait until your pup settles in. Good luck:thumbs up