Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hi there

ValerieField
October 27th, 2007, 08:36 PM
Hi everyone, I am new here.
I have two cats.
Mopar was rescued from a shelter when he was 6 weeks old.
He and 4 siblings were found in a pillow case behind a Sackville
Highschool. Mopar is doing well and is up to date on his needles and has been nutured.

SadSack is a little cat that we found on our deck 7 months ago trying to eat birdseed that we left out for the birds. He was very skittish and would run away when he saw our shadow in the window. Seven months later with a lot of patience,
he now lives here with us. After having him vet checked, we were told that he is a very old cat, in poor health and has two tumors which can't be removed because of his age and health. Since we brought him into our home three weeks ago, he has gained weight, has become more spry and is thriving.

We are currently taking car of another little MaineCoon cat that showed up two weeks ago. He sleeps in a box (with a big fluffy blanket in it) and has
no wish to come into our home....yet.
There is only me and my husband living here, but because of health problems, really cannot adopt another cat. We are hoping to find his owners soon, because the weather is starting to get cold.

Valerie

hazelrunpack
October 27th, 2007, 09:02 PM
Welcome to the board, Valerie. And thank you for taking in your kitties.

We'd love to see pictures of Mopar and SadSack if you have any to share. :thumbs up (We love pix!)

I hope you find the owners of the Maine Coon cat soon. Perhaps some of the cat people on the board can offer you some advice on keeping him comfy and warm while you're looking!

CyberKitten
October 27th, 2007, 09:44 PM
Welcome to another Haligonian. I live in the south end. I do know where Beaverbank is tho - have even been there!!

I do hope you manage to get your Maine coon to come in - have you tried using a friendly trap- place some strong smelling food (una, etx) and then when he is in, treat him as a feral and work on the socialization. May take time but you'll be saving a life!!

ValerieField
October 28th, 2007, 09:41 AM
Thanks so much for the replies.
It started raining out last night, so I scooped up
Wiley ( the MaineCoon ) and brought her into my bathroom.
She was very upset and kept pacing the floor and meowing
very loudly. I sat with her for two hours and petted her, but
nothing would calm her down. She really wasn't happy there.
So I opened the bathroom door and let her roam around the
house. She quickly went for the front door, and as it had
stopped raining, I let her out again. She had a comfortable
sleep in her bed and is still on the deck, at the moment she is
sunning herself. I truly believe that she thinks that this is
her home, so eventually, I will get her to come in. She did
come in for a few minutes this morning when I went out to
feed her...so it now looks like we have another little fur baby.

Here is a picture of Mopar....
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v321/valeriefield/?action=view&current=mopargood.jpg

Here is SadSack....
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v321/valeriefield/?action=view&current=coffeetable.jpg

And here is Wiley.....
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v321/valeriefield/?action=view&current=wiley.jpg

ValerieField
October 28th, 2007, 09:47 AM
Hi CyberKitten, I actually live in Lower Sackville, just off
the Beaverbank Road...but we were sent papers from the city,
saying that because of some silly zoning laws, we must now all say
that we live in Beaverbank and not Lower Sackville anymore....
sounds silly to me.
I lived in Spryfield for a number of years before moving here.

Valerie

CyberKitten
October 28th, 2007, 01:20 PM
I know - I am not keen about this new cat law, sigh!!!! Silly politicians - I wonder if they can use the money they lost on the Commonwealth Games bid to build a new No Kill Cat facility because they do eutheize kitties at the Dartmouth facility, sighhhhhhhhhhhhh!!

I used to live in Clayton Park - very short period of time but live in south end now since my office and hospital I have privileges at (IWK) (well I have them at the others too and in NB and PEI and Boston since I am a pediatric oncologist and there are not too many of us, sigh!). I like the south end and you know, I do know where the Beaverbank Rd is - knew someone from there once. We used to go to the McD near the Sunnyside mall when I was an undergrad, lol It was one of the 1st tho I thin the 1st was in Dartmouth and then the one on Kempt Rd, not sure, lol (and how did I get on to the history of the Golden Arches in Hfx). I love the Chickenburger and know Mickey - the fellow who bought it (he is on the Foundation Board at IWK, a character and a half as i his brother who owns hbhis own plane and promises to take me to a Red Sox game of they make it back to Boston tho I do hope they win tonite, lol