Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How to pottytrain outside the crate?

Tommysmom
October 27th, 2007, 06:57 PM
A few weeks ago we had a problem with Tommy in his crate. I got stuck at work and couldn't get home, he ended up in his crate much longer than normal, and he peed/pooped in there. By the time hubby got home he was shaking and upset and covered in poop:sad:.

Since my schedule got a bit hectic for a couple of weeks, we left him uncrated - I'd rather have poop on my floors than put Tommy through that again, and I felt like absolute pond scum for days and days after that incident. He's done WONDERFULLY uncrated - all he does is sleep on our bed and occasionally snack on his food. No chewing, just snoozing on his own pillow upstairs. However...

When he was crated, Tommy normally held off doing his business until I let him out. I'm normally gone for about 3.5 hours, then home for lunch with him, then gone another 3.5 hours or so - he can hold it that long no problem. But, being out of the crate, he doesn't try to hold it. Most times he's fine, but sometimes he pees right before I get home - of course, he has no way to know I'm on my way! When I'm home, there's no problem. And even when I'm gone, his accidents are right by the back door - so I know he got off his fuzzy little butt, trotted down off the bed, came downstairs and went to the door. Not his fault nobody was there to open it.

How do you potty train a dog outside of the crate? I'm torn - I know if I put down pee pads he'll use them, but then I'm probably creating a habit that will be hard to break. If I don't, he'll ruin the carpet and this is a rental house. Limiting his areas isn't necessary, as he only potties by the back door - he's TRYING to go out! I know if I crate him again he'll be fine, but he seems so content out of the crate that I'd like to find a way to re-potty-train, yanno? I just don't know how to do it:confused:. (When I was a kid, nobody crate trained their doggies... how on earth did we train them not to mess in the house? For the life of me, I can't remember!!).

Tommysmom
October 28th, 2007, 03:13 PM
Blech. Asked my mom today what we always did before crates, the answer was 'rub their noses in it, yell a lot, smack 'em with a newspaper'. So much for helpful family advice:frustrated:. Oh well. Pee pad it's gonna be.

white wrabbit
October 28th, 2007, 03:29 PM
that is a good question.. even i can't remember how to do it.. only thing i might suggest is move his food there where he goes..