Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I've gone and done it, I've got two more kitties

ancientgirl
October 27th, 2007, 05:17 PM
This is a bit of a story. I went to take an exam this morning, and went down past the vet's office where I originally got Vlad. On the way back from the exam, I decided to stop into the vet's and ask if they had record of when he was born. I never wanted to go back to that place, because they practically threw him at me to take him, and they gave him to me infested with ear mites and fleas.

As it was, they didn't have record of him, and they told me "Peple just leave them outside the door, like those two." And the woman pointed to a cage with two furry teeny little things. I went over and saw they had two kittens. One orange tabby male and a calico. They told me they were about two months old, but they were skinny as heck. I mean practically skeletal. I couldn't leave them there. It looked like they didn't even want them, and the way they were just out in a cage in the middle of the place, where they could be scared by big dogs and other cats, just made me feel so horrible for them.

So I just decided right then and there, I'd take them. I asked if they'd had their shots and they said yes, and they were about two months old.

I took them in a big carrier they gave me, but asked me to bring back. Riiiiiiiight.

I immediately took them to my vet.

The Calico, I've named Kiska, is fine. She's got a small upper respitory infection, but I've got meds for that. The male, I've named Maks, I had to leave. He had some kind of skin condition, like mange on dogs, and all kinds of worms!

That made me angry. Just like with Vlad, these people took no care of them at all! I left Maks, since his condition can be contagious, and I've got Kiska here at home. Maks I'll pick up next week, they've got to do some treatments and dips on him.

It cost me *gulp* $566 to get them checked and treated, and I asked them if its not detrimental to give them their first round of shots, even though the other vet said they'ld done it. I don't trust they did doodly squat!

Needless to say, Vlad and Oksana are NOT pleased. I've got to keep Kiska in the big carrier they gave me for the most part. I live in a loft, so my bedroom is upstairs and has no door. The only doors are on the master bath, which is where the main litter box is, and the powder room, which is a small room.

Right now, I've got Kiska bundled in a towel on my lap. She smelled to high heaven, they didn't even keep them clean. I gave her a bath, and some food and her meds. when i put her on my lap she was shaking like a leaf. poor little thing.

I'm going to be carrying her when I can just to get Vlad and Oksana used to seeing her, then I'll put her in the carrier for a bit.

I managed to get a couple of pictures of her. But Maks' pictures will have to wait until I get him back next week.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/ancientgirl/Kiska/019.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/ancientgirl/Kiska/023.jpg

LOL, I think I'm done.

I've got my two black cats, which I've always wanted. I always wanted an orange kitty, and a calico or torti, that's it! I can't have anymore. This place isn't big enough. I've got to start saving money to have them spayed and neutered in a few months.

So what do you all think of my new girl?

Jim Hall
October 27th, 2007, 06:36 PM
she is a cutie !!!

krdahmer
October 27th, 2007, 06:55 PM
AWWWWWWWWWW.... Kiska is too cute! Just be very careful you might want to keep her completely away from Oksana and Vlad until the URI is cleared up, they are very contagious. It's so very sad that they get dropped at that vet in those conditions... and so very lucky for them that they did. You know He really does have a plan for us all...

Congrats Congrats and bless you for taking in more kitties:angel2:, it is so great to see them find such a great home! And I can't wait to see pics of all four!! And here you thought 2 on those cabinets was hairy!!!!:eek::laughing:

I hope that Maks recovers quickly at the vets and is home soon too. And man, good luck with spay neuter time.$$$$$!:eek:

You know just one more of each and you're as crazy as me!!!:rolleyes::grouphug:

Ok and what do these names mean?

Winston
October 27th, 2007, 07:07 PM
Ancientgirl! That is so great of you to save their lives!! A couple more kitties cant really hurt...Just good planning...Oksana and Vlad will be flying around and playing with the new ones in no time! I have to ask did the vet make you pay for them? I would be so disgusted in them! I dont know the origional thread but I take it Oksana and Vlad didnt do well in their care?

Lots of good vibes coming your way for your new addition....

Cindy

krdahmer
October 27th, 2007, 07:07 PM
Right now, I've got Kiska bundled in a towel on my lap. She smelled to high heaven, they didn't even keep them clean. I gave her a bath, and some food and her meds. when i put her on my lap she was shaking like a leaf. poor little thing.

And I really don't mean to scare you, but you may want to even have her in a box with a lamp over top for heat, especially if she has a URI. That statement just scared me because I did the exact same thing with Smoke's brother when we got them home, he had a URI (the HS said they would be ok... and being a little dumb about all this then I did not take them to a vet right away like you did :thumbs up god for you) and he smelled so I gave him a bath and he ended up getting even sicker and he eventually had to be PTS. It was horrible and I thought it was all my fault. (He actually had distemper, and I had only made the situation worse by giving him a bath, but he was shivering like you said.) Just keep a watchful eye on her and make sure she is warm and that she has no sign of diarreah.... if so then back to the vets asap. I just couldn't stop thinking of the bath and shivering.... I just don't want something like that to happen to anyone else... to this day I feel like a complete monster for trying to clean him, and blame myself for what happened.

But this is a happy thread right :sorry: so everything will be ok and I'm sure that won't happen to you:pray:. Just maybe if you have heating blanket or something... a hot water bottle... etc... sneak that in under where she's sleeping (although I can't imagine anyone in Miami having need of a heating blanket!). :grouphug: Sorry again for sharing my worry wartedness!

mummummum
October 27th, 2007, 07:10 PM
Well, for those of you who believe in fate and destiny...here's proof that all the world's stories continue.

Welcome to to pets.ca Kiska and Maks ~ your Mum is one of The Good Ones. :grouphug:

ancientgirl
October 27th, 2007, 07:28 PM
Ok and what do these names mean?

Okay, starting with Vlad:

Vladimir
from Old Slavic "to rule with greatness"

Oksana:
Hospitable

Kiska:
Pure

Maks:
Maksim (Maxim, Max)
from Latin word "maximus": which means the Greatest

So those are my Russian kitties. LOL, and not a Russian Blue in the bunch.

ancientgirl
October 27th, 2007, 07:30 PM
Well, for those of you who believe in fate and destiny...here's proof that all the world's stories continue.

Welcome to to pets.ca Kiska and Maks ~ your Mum is one of The Good Ones. :grouphug:

I totally believe they were meant for me. I never even meant to go by there. I saw it on my way to my exam, and then on the way beck, decided to just stop in. I didn't even think they would be able to tell me the exact day Vlad was born, but I went anyway, and there they were.

And thank you for the wonderful compliment. Now I have 4 babies to spoil!

ancientgirl
October 27th, 2007, 07:33 PM
And I really don't mean to scare you, but you may want to even have her in a box with a lamp over top for heat, especially if she has a URI. That statement just scared me because I did the exact same thing with Smoke's brother when we got them home, he had a URI (the HS said they would be ok... and being a little dumb about all this then I did not take them to a vet right away like you did :thumbs up god for you) and he smelled so I gave him a bath and he ended up getting even sicker and he eventually had to be PTS. It was horrible and I thought it was all my fault. (He actually had distemper, and I had only made the situation worse by giving him a bath, but he was shivering like you said.) Just keep a watchful eye on her and make sure she is warm and that she has no sign of diarreah.... if so then back to the vets asap. I just couldn't stop thinking of the bath and shivering.... I just don't want something like that to happen to anyone else... to this day I feel like a complete monster for trying to clean him, and blame myself for what happened.

But this is a happy thread right :sorry: so everything will be ok and I'm sure that won't happen to you:pray:. Just maybe if you have heating blanket or something... a hot water bottle... etc... sneak that in under where she's sleeping (although I can't imagine anyone in Miami having need of a heating blanket!). :grouphug: Sorry again for sharing my worry wartedness!

I actually do have a heating blanket. But I think it might be too warm for her. I've got something I can warm up in the microwave and I'll put it in there. and at night, I'll cover her so no AC gets into her little carrier.

Luckily the vet gave me some good medicine and she said her infection wasn't bad. Oksana is keeping away from her, but Vlad keeps going by her carrier and sitting there hissing and meowing. LOL, you'd think he's the boss around here.

ancientgirl
October 27th, 2007, 07:37 PM
Ancientgirl! That is so great of you to save their lives!! A couple more kitties cant really hurt...Just good planning...Oksana and Vlad will be flying around and playing with the new ones in no time! I have to ask did the vet make you pay for them? I would be so disgusted in them! I dont know the origional thread but I take it Oksana and Vlad didnt do well in their care?

Lots of good vibes coming your way for your new addition....

Cindy

Vlad was the one I got at that vet's office and when they gave him to me he was a mess. I can't believe that a VET office would treat their animals like that. I mean its like they don't take care of them, then tell you to bring them in for shots, but only to treat what they never treated to begin with.

Oksana came from my current vets office, and they took care of her.

This place didn't even tell me if they had their FIV test!

I spent a lot of money, but I know they were looked at and evaluated by competent people. I mean Maks had a skin infection he was scaley, didn't they see that!

I just couldn't leave them there! Especially knowing that whoever took them might bring them there for care!

And no, they just told me to take them, like they were yesterdays garbage. Didn't give me any papers on what shots they had, or anything. They even told me they needed the pet carrier back. Right, they can sit outside in their parking lot and wait for it.

At least when I got Oksana from my vet, they gave me a paper that said I had adopted her and I paid $25 for some of the costs they incurred to keep her there and give her shots.

Tommysmom
October 27th, 2007, 07:46 PM
Awww, she's so tiny and beautiful. Those kitties are so lucky to have found you, they really were meant for you, weren't they. Make sure you give them lots and lots of kisses for all of us, and congratulations:cloud9:.

ancientgirl
October 27th, 2007, 07:50 PM
She's going to get quite a bit of love.

They really were meant for me. I wasn't going into that horrible place, but I stopped and I'm glad I did.

They were so bad, my current vet thought I found them on the street. She was horrified when I told her they were from another vets office.

clm
October 27th, 2007, 08:36 PM
Congratulations on your new kittens. I hope they both get over their illnesses quickly.
Can't wait to see more pics.
I love their names.

Cindy

ancientgirl
October 27th, 2007, 08:53 PM
I'll have to keep Kiska separated from Vlad & Oksana anyway. It's all hissing and stuff right now, so hopefully by the time I can get them all together, she'll be okay. I figure I can move the upstairs litterbox into my bedroom a bit during the day, and keep Kiska in there while I'm at work. At leas she'll have roaming space and they can paw each other from under the door.

Maks, will hopefully be home next week. I'll have to keep him away too, since I'll be going through the hissing all over again.

It took me about a week to get Vlad and Oksana really used to each other, to where I could leave them in the same room together. I'm hoping by next weekend I can at least let Kiska roam around the apartment supervised.

I'll certainly be able to get better pictures of her, and a few of Maks. They're both so thin, I need to get some meat on their little bones.

hazelrunpack
October 27th, 2007, 09:37 PM
Kiska's gorgeous, ancientgirl! :thumbs up And very lucky--as is Maks.

:goodvibes: for quick recovery and good health! Vlad and Oksana are going to love their new playmates. :cat: :cat:

The more the merrier, I always say! :D Eight is a great number...hazel highly recommends it...and after the first 4, you just don't notice the difference! :p

ancientgirl
October 27th, 2007, 09:42 PM
Thank you. She's a total cutie and very sweet.

Right now Oksana is staying away from her, but now and then she comes close and hisses. Vlad is the one that's been sitting in front of the carrier or hopping on it meowing and hissing.

I figure, during the week, I can leave her in my master bath, and bring the litter out into my bedroom. I can leave her food and water and a small litter box in there with some toys and she'll have room to walk around. I'll have to put something heavy on the toilet seat, just in case she tries to lift it. But she's so small and thin I doubt she'd have the strength to do that. And the door is high enough so they can paw each other and get more acquainted.

Hopefully by next weekend I'll be able to have her walk around the apartment supervised. Then I'll have to start the process all over again with Maks

LOL, and I think 4 is my stopping number. I just don't have enough room for more. I'd always figured I'd have 4, but I never actually thought I'd get my 4 so quickly.

jiorji
October 27th, 2007, 10:57 PM
aww how cute!! I like her spotted nose:cloud9:

Frenchy
October 27th, 2007, 11:08 PM
Awww , your new little girl is too cute ! :lovestruck: congratulations on the adoptions ! Thank you for saving 2 more kitties , they are very lucky to have you. But now , you can't go over that vet anymore ! You know what can happen ....

:cat::cat::cat::cat::cat::cat::cat::cat::cat::cat: :laughing:

growler~GateKeeper
October 28th, 2007, 12:04 AM
Just adorable AncientGirl :highfive::thumbs up good job being kitty :angel2: again

:goodvibes::goodvibes: for the speedy recovery of both Kiska & Maks

btw I think you should report this vet clinic to the Florida Veterinary Medical Association hopefully they can clean them up :thumbs up http://www.fvma.com/index.cfm

ancientgirl
October 28th, 2007, 09:02 AM
I'm hoping I can get her to where I can let her run around the apartment by next week. I'm going to let her roam in the front door area with the divider up. At least it will allow her to be out of the cage for a bit.

She's a good girl.

Thanks for that link. The least these people can do is check on them. I just got ripped on another site because I "accused' that vet of not spending money on their treatment and was told its not their responsibility.

Well sorry, it is. Yes they are running a business, but they are also committed to helping animals. And just because these cats just were left on your door doesn't mean you can't care for them because you are giving them away.

Winston
October 28th, 2007, 09:57 AM
Hi Ancientgirl! How is Kiska today? and of course Oksana and Vlad?

Cindy

krdahmer
October 28th, 2007, 11:09 AM
So how are things going? Any word on the little guy yet?

Oh and funny, my 'stopping' number used to be 2... lol, but every time I got a wee bit more space.. I got more kitties!!!:eek::D

ancientgirl
October 28th, 2007, 11:59 AM
Hi guys!

Well, the evening was spent with more hissing and meowing. I've noticed that Vlad was the most interested party, going and sitting next to her carrier and trying to be Mr. Tough guy. :laughing:

This morning I left her in the carrier downstairs while I went to the petstore and got more food. I've been feeding Vlad and Oksana adult wet, since the vet said I could start them on that, so I had no kitty food for Kiska. While I was out, I called the vet and she said Maks was doing well. They dipped him and he didn't fuss. And she also said he's not itching a lot, which is a good sign that what he had wasn't so serious. He's playing and eating very well.

I've got a little set up here. I have my front door blocked by a bamboo screen, so the Dynamic Duo don't get out. So I put some carpet on the bottom, and I've placed it in the usual spot, but opened the powder room door. I put Kiska in there so she could at least have some playing room and walk around a bit. And give Vlad and Oksana a chance to see her outside the carrier. And they can also get their paws through there so they can get aquainted.

I'll have to be very careful getting in and out in the mornings, but for now I'll have to keep her there during the day. I don't want to keep her in the carrier all day, and I don't want to take the upstairs litter box out of the bathroom to keep her in there. I don't want to change the routine or move things around too much, so that Vlad and Oksana don't get too freaked out.

Right now Kiska is playing and Vlad and Oksana are camped out in front of the screen watching her. Tomorrow I'll go visit Maks for a little while before I come home. Hopefully by next week I'll at least be able to have Kiska out and moving around the place, supervised of course. And Maks will be the one being "evaluated". :laughing:

I've also just realized, I can't say Dynamic Duo anymore. Hmm...The Fantastic Four?

ancientgirl
October 28th, 2007, 12:04 PM
Oh and funny, my 'stopping' number used to be 2... lol, but every time I got a wee bit more space.. I got more kitties!!!:eek::D

Oh believe me, if I had more space I wouldn't mind getting maybe two more, but there's no way I can do that. I've got a good size apartment, but its not big enough for 6 cats. LOL

I'd love to have a nice little house so that I can have a screened in porch so they could run around outside too and get fresh air and not worry about getting hurt.

ValerieField
October 28th, 2007, 09:16 PM
Congratulations on your new baby Kiska.....I am sure that you
probably saved her life and Maks' life.

I am very lucky with my vet. She is not "in it" for the money.
She deals with stray and ferral cats mostly and gives a lot for
the money. I just brought a stray to her. She did blood tests,
deflead, dewormed, and needled him. She also gave him high protine
shots and treated him for an infected eye, and then gave me two
weeks worth of cat food to take home with me. He had to stay there
for 4 nights, while she did all this .......... and her bill
was for $50.00. She just asks for the cost of medicine....nothing more.
She will also spay and nuture for free, if the cat has been rescued.
She has a wonderful heart and I wouldn't bring my pets to anyone else
but her.

Valerie

ancientgirl
October 28th, 2007, 10:00 PM
That's what my vets do too. They take in strays and give them proper treatment, then adopt them out. I think so many people go into the health care business thinking they will be doing good things, then wind up just wanting money.

I don't want to think where these two would be. Probably taken home by one of their own customers, only to be brought back and treated for something they could have prevented to begin with. Of course, then there would have been no one to charge.

TeriM
October 29th, 2007, 02:04 AM
Congrats! Those kitties got very lucky when you walked into their lives :).

want4rain
October 29th, 2007, 07:54 AM
sucker.... :cool:

congrats honey. :)

-ashley

Love4himies
October 29th, 2007, 07:57 AM
Oh ancientgirl, I haven't had time all weekend to be on the computer, except for a couple of minutes and I didn't see this thread until this morning.

CONGRATS ON THE NEW ADDITIONS!

The Fantastic Four sounds good

As for that vet where you adopted them, maybe legally they didn't have to spend any money on them, but morally and ethically they should have ensured they were healthy. Can you imagine how they must treat their patients? Thanks for rescuing these two!

Yes, I believe in "meant to be" too!

Love4himies
October 29th, 2007, 07:58 AM
sucker.... :cool:

-ashley

:laughing: I was thinking the same thing, just didn't want to say it. :laughing::laughing:

ancientgirl
October 29th, 2007, 09:25 AM
:laughing: Oh yes, I am sooooooooo a sucker.

Wait until you guys see Maks.

rainbow
October 29th, 2007, 05:35 PM
I haven't logged on for a couple of days either so CONGRATULATIONS fro me too. You are an absolute angel for rexcuing these two little ones. :angel: Kiska is sooooo cute and, I love all their Russian names. :thumbs up

dmc123
October 29th, 2007, 06:32 PM
ancientgirl, congrats on your two newbies! I know, I know how easy it is to fall in love with them.

Hopefully your other two will come around soon....and they'll all be buddies.

Diane

ancientgirl
October 29th, 2007, 06:59 PM
Thank you to both of you.

I've had Kiska running around the place most of the afternoon and evening. Vlad and Oksana are kissing and meowing, but for the most part they're very curious and haven't done her any harm.

I'm not sure if I should keep her separated from them tomorrow when I'm at work, or to allow her to roam free.

What do you guys think?

Winston
October 29th, 2007, 07:52 PM
Maybe a little more time! There are 2 against one little kitty! Not that they would hurt her but if they were playful?? you never know...once you are sure she is strong enough then leave her with them..just my thoughts anyway..besides she may be a bit on the weak side just yet?

Cindy

ancientgirl
October 29th, 2007, 08:09 PM
True. They are both curious of her. Right now I'm here, so while I'm gone I'll let her have her little area where she was today. They will still be able to see her, and she them, but she will be separated from them and not feel defensive and she'll be safe.

dmc123
October 29th, 2007, 08:30 PM
I would wait a little longer, maybe allow more time out when you are there?

Diane

ancientgirl
October 29th, 2007, 08:34 PM
Yeah, I'll keep them separated during the day for the rest of the week. I don't want to take any chances, they see me gone and gang up on her. Not that I think they would, but she's very small, and still quite weak. She needs some meat on her bones and I'd be afraid she couldn't defend herself.

chico2
October 31st, 2007, 05:30 PM
Ancientgirl,It was definetly something that led you to that vet-office,looking at Kiskas little face almost brought me to tears,but happy-tears,what a lucky little girl:cat:
Hopefully little Maxim(like that name:thumbs up)will be all cured in no-time:pray:
I am certain,in no time at all you'll have 4 happy little friends running around:thumbs up

ancientgirl
October 31st, 2007, 07:07 PM
Yes, something led me there. I had no reason to go, and really, did I actually expect them to be able to tell me what Vlad's birthday was?

I called my vet today, Maks is doing well. I have to take Vlad in and get his eye looked at Saturday, so hopefully Maks will be well enough to come home. The thing is, he's got Scabies, which they told me is contagious, and I don't want the three here at home to catch anything form him. But I'm dying to get him here.

Things are progressing well. Vlad and Oksana are getting bolder in allowing her to come closer to them. Still lots of hissing, but now more pawing, like they want to touch each other.

Winston
October 31st, 2007, 07:34 PM
Ancientgirl...google the scabies for cats and read a couple of articles....I would be very concerned..They burrow into the skin deep and the treatment the first time doesnt always catch them all..some articles say at least 8 weeks of treatment! Not trying to bring you bad news but I did read a few things about it when you mentioned what it was called...It would be horrible for you to have the other 3 infected...Did they check Kiska really good?

I am sure Maks is in great hands!

Cindy

ancientgirl
October 31st, 2007, 08:13 PM
I did some reading on it and when I initially talked to the vet she said they would dip him 2 or 3 times this week. After they gave him the first dip she said he improved a lot, which lead her to believe his case had not progressed to much. I may have gotten him in time for it to have gotten worse. Kiska was checked and she was okay.

When I talked to the vet this afternoon, I mentioned to her that I'd rather keep him there until it was at least contained with his treatment.

I want him home, but I don't want to risk the other three.

All the more reason why I'm so angry at that other vet. Like they didn't notice this? Did they not treat him thinking whoever picked them up would bring the kittens to them for treatment? I'll tell you, maybe they thought they were going to make the $566 I spent with my current vet to get these little guys treated, but it shouldn't have come to this.

I'm sure this could have been caught early, and they could have treated it. At the very least they could have fed them! Ugh, sorry but every time I think about it it makes me angry. I've got Kiska sitting on my foot and she weighs NOTHING! It's like she's a little cotton ball or something. I can feel the bones in her pelvis. There's no excuse!:mad:

chico2
November 1st, 2007, 08:37 AM
You have a right to be angry,I would be seriously concerned about the ethics of this vet.
What if you had not come along??
Would he just let them die,or had them pts??
It is a good thing they at least took them in,but how any vet could watch them suffer,is beyond me:sad:
Maks and Kiska were the lucky ones,but what about any other cat/dog that comes their way?
Maybe an e-mail or phonecall to FVMA would make a difference..just to tell them about Maks and Kiska.

ancientgirl
November 1st, 2007, 09:40 AM
I'm going to write a letter to the proper authorities. At least make them aware that this is happening.

I mean if they aren't going to help them they should take them to a shelter that can.

Maybe they think they are being humanitarian enough by taking them in and putting them out in some cage and telling people to take them, but that's not much help. Especially when you are trying to get existing customers to take them. Giving someone a sick animal is just wrong.

The money I spent when I took them to the vet hurt, I won't lie to you. I'm not rich, and live paycheck to paycheck, but at least I know they are taken care of and getting healthy. And Kiska and Maks will be beautiful cats, just like Vlad and Oksana!

rainbow
November 1st, 2007, 07:14 PM
Glad you are going to contact the FVMA about the other vet. Good luck and let us know the outcome. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

I hope poor little Maks recovers from the scabies infestation quickly so he can join Kiska, Vlad and Oksana and their wonderful :angel: mom soon. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

ancientgirl
November 1st, 2007, 07:18 PM
I'm just worried he won't be well enough to come home, or worse, he'll still be contageous. I can't afford to leave him at the vet another week, but I also don't want the other three to catch what he's got.

I guess I'll have to ask if there's anything I can give them to keep them from getting it.