Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Personal Shopper

poodletalk
October 27th, 2007, 03:46 PM
I hate shopping for clothes for myself. I am going to a high school reunion in 3 weeks at an Italian hall, I need a new dress.

I went to the gym this morning and I decided to go shopping, I didn't realize being a size 8 is considered being "fat" in Montreal and I can't find anything that fits or looks good.

I would love to have a personal shopper who knows fashion, how would someone find a personal shopper?

I also see people with fantastic clothes, where do they shop? I have no idea?

mummummum
October 27th, 2007, 04:57 PM
My name is Mum and I am a Clothesaholic...:D and a Shoesaholic...and an Anything-to-do-with shopping-aholic. :laughing:

Find a dress shape that looks good on you and stick with it. For instance that "empire" grey dress with the little bow and little jacket you posted a few weeks ago ~ perfect for most figures and it's gorgeous. If that style makes you feel like a million bucks go searching for something a little jazzier in a similar style. If not, wear that!

poodletalk
October 27th, 2007, 06:17 PM
Mum would you like to go shopping for me?

That grey dress I posted, I thought it looked great on me at the store. (Tristian) My cousin was with me, she liked it, I got compliments from people (not sales people) in the store so I bought it.

It looked fine when I looked at the mirror at my place,even when I was at the hairdressers getting my hair done for the wedding.

When I got to the hall and looked in mirror in the bathroom I was so embarrased I looked horrible!! I wanted to leave ASAP!

I am not sure if that dress was the right look for me.

mummummum
October 27th, 2007, 06:36 PM
You can believe me or not...but it was probably the mirror.

Depending on how they are configured mirrors can be "make you look tall & stringy" or "short & dumpy" or "long necked and pear-shaped" etc. etc. etc.

I've seen your picture. I've seen a picture of the dress. I absolutely KNOW your colouring and your height and figure would suit the dress to a TEE.

Disbelieve this one mirror Poodletalk. I haven't seen you in the dress but know it's perfect. Ask your friends and family or post a pic of you in it here. I'll bet I'm right.

poodletalk
October 27th, 2007, 06:41 PM
Like I said, my cousin and the people at the store liked it.

When I wore it to the wedding, a guy told me he's going to give me a list of excerises to do to help me to get in shape?! Which was...hurtful and make me feel worst!

I do excerise, I did the stair master for 20 minutes and I swam laps for 40 minutes today. Plus I walk the dog for an hour.

mummummum
October 27th, 2007, 06:59 PM
Sweetum's... I'm bootin' 50, I'm 5'8, weigh 115 or so on most days and I'm always amazed at the number of people who feel the need to comment on how a/ skinny I am b/ how fat I am c/ how out of shape I am d/ how in-shape I am e/ how good I look for an "old" woman f/ how rough I look for my age how good I look PERIOD. :rolleyes:

You are who you are... don't depend on others for your self-appraisal of your inner or your outer beauty.

I decided a few years ago to be gorgeous...and frankly, I am.

poodletalk
October 27th, 2007, 07:05 PM
thanks mum!

I have two looks I am looking for the highschool reunion. (Not mine, hubby's)

I was thinking a short dress with high black boots (I have the boots not the dress) I liked the dress the girl wore in Hairspray, it was black and white and sparkly. She also wore it with high boots.

Or a black short skirt with a nice top with high boots.

Wear can I find something like that?

Winston
October 27th, 2007, 07:10 PM
Hmm! Maybe Mum3 would like to go shopping in Montreal! Not that far of a drive!! What a perfect excuse for a day of shopping! :laughing:

Poodletalk there has to be some great store in Montreal? We have nothing really nice here in Hamilton...

I am thinking something in a black simple dress...black boots and something nice jewellery wise to offset it?

Cindy

poodletalk
October 27th, 2007, 07:25 PM
:sad:I tried looking for a simple black dress...couldn't find any that looked nice

mummummum
October 27th, 2007, 07:31 PM
Who wouldn't love to go shopping in Montreal ?! Does that mean you're dog-sitting Winston ;)

Buy a simple black dress cut the same way your grey dress is cut. The kind of jacket you are looking for is Bolero style or another shortie style but NOT one cut at the waist. If you can't find one these two styles find a straight cut at the same length as your dress. With all three of these jackets you are looking for a VERY specific belt. It's one of those chain-medallion styles, that drapes when you hook it ~ that's your glitz and glam. Make sure it super sparkly but "REAL" glitz rather than shlocky looking and pair it with your earrings. Drape it so it hangs part-way over your midriff and dangles down. You will want to wear either a black velvet with single gem choker or a very simple necklace ~ unless of course the neckline of dress is fab and you have incredible clavicles which spells LEAVE THEM ALONE ! :D

Just my ...humble opinion...which I do tend to get carried away with.:rolleyes:

poodletalk
October 27th, 2007, 07:38 PM
It sounds great what you are describing!!! Do you have any suggestions what stores to look in Mum.

mummummum
October 27th, 2007, 07:50 PM
I'm sorry hun... I live in Toronto and haven't been to Montreal for a long time.

poodletalk
October 27th, 2007, 07:57 PM
No problem, I will look around tomorrow.

joeysmama
October 27th, 2007, 09:56 PM
Do you have a Bloomingdales near you? You can call and make an appointment with a personal shopper there. They'll work with you to find the style you're looking for in the price range you tell them.

badger
October 28th, 2007, 05:19 AM
Bloomie's is a bit far but we have an equivalent here, Holt Renfrew's, I know for a fact they have personal shoppers.
Poodle, I'd hit Winners. Load up a cart and try everything on at once. There are mirrors in the change rooms, the lighting isn't bad (Holt's lighting is horrendous), nobody even looks at you and only your opinion counts.
That guy at the wedding - what nerve! I can't believe anyone, much less a guy who doesn't even know you, would be so thoughtless. Put the little twerp out of your mind.

poodletalk
October 28th, 2007, 07:47 AM
We don't have a Bloomingdales in Montreal. Holtz is way too expensive and I went to Winners yesterday, I tried on tons of stuff. Nothing! I think the Winners in Ontario is much better then the one in Montreal.

I will try Winners again on my lunch hour, this time I will go to the one in Alexis Nihon instead on the on St.Catherine Street, maybe I will see something different.:shrug:

gomez
October 28th, 2007, 08:07 AM
Try and go to Holt Renfrew, even if it is expensive. Set up an appointment with a personal shopper (free) and see what they come up with - you don't have to buy anything at all, but will get some ideas, and maybe one of the outfits they bring you might be on sale, or not too expensive?

When you first meet with the personal shopper you can specify as many parameters as you like, one can be price... a personal shopper's job is to find you something you may not have found on your own, or to point you in the direction of a great outfit...

My mom used to be a personal shopper in NYC and she loved every minute of it, even when the client never bought a thing - think of it as playing Barbies for adults!

Another idea, find a dressmaker and have something made to fit exactly as you want it...

dragon_queen
October 28th, 2007, 10:19 AM
there's a new winners on the south shore at the 10/30 mall. we also have one on taschereau too. I bought a nice dress at sears for my bro's wedding 2 years ago, good prices there too.

SnowDancer
October 28th, 2007, 11:49 AM
If you don't mind consignment shops that might be a place to look. I buy most of my clothes from one such shop in Toronto - they have a good "supplier" base - mainly people who buy something and don't wear it or wear it only a few times. I have a few pieces from Holt's that still had original price tags hanging from them. I agree that to buy from Holt's directly unless there was a super sale and Holt's sales prices are not great - and frankly 25% off a $3,000 dress is still a LOT of money. I go to Holt's mainly to buy my makeup. I have seen the personal shoppers in action at Holt's - and they are there to sell bit time - but then of course there are not really any moderately priced items at Holt's anymore. A few years ago they had a few things for the middle market but now everything is so expensive and the styles are pretty bad too this year. The Bloor St. Toronto store seems a bit bigger than Montreal - or at least the selection. We were in Montreal last Fall and I went to Holt's but it was during the renovation so perhaps that is why I had that feeling. Hope you find something. I am all about the classic black dress.

Frenchy
October 28th, 2007, 12:03 PM
When I got to the hall and looked in mirror in the bathroom I was so embarrased I looked horrible!! I wanted to leave ASAP!

I'm sure you didn't look horrible. It was probably the lighting. And I can't believe you need to loose weight ! :confused: Unless you gained 100 lbs from the last time I saw you.

I would go for Winners too , you need to try another , some of them have more choices than others. Also as Dragon Queen posted , 10/30 in Brossard have lots of stores (don't know them because I only went to La Cage aux Sport once) :laughing: There's a Winner in Lasalle but they don't have too much inventory.

Frenchy
October 28th, 2007, 12:05 PM
Sweetum's... I'm bootin' 50, I'm 5'8, weigh 115

I'm hoping you bring the dogs on walks when it's windy M3X ! (I think you need to gain some weigh .... satin balls ?) :yuck: :D

poodletalk
October 28th, 2007, 06:59 PM
That guy at the wedding - what nerve! I can't believe anyone, much less a guy who doesn't even know you, would be so thoughtless. Put the little twerp out of your mind.

I think the guy is use to looking at his girlfriend/fiance who's a size 0:shrug: Either way, I didn't appreicate itl

coppperbelle
October 28th, 2007, 08:00 PM
First of all that guy was an a.. It is rude and obnoxious to make such a comment to anyone no matter what their size.

What about taking a trip to St-Hubert st? There are lots of wedding shops and they have all kinds of dresses.

If you're looking for a great Winner's try the one in Boucherville. I think it is the biggest around.

Good luck and if I could I would shop with you. That is something I would love to do... shop with someone elses money.

joeysmama
October 28th, 2007, 08:06 PM
It's fun to buy a really well made, expensive dress from time to time but it's also fun to buy something fun and trendy at a discount department store and not put a dent in your wallet. I do both. Have you got a Target? They can have some really fun stuff sometimes and the prices are reasonable. And we're grownups. We know how to care for our clothes. It's not as though we're outside running around and playing on swings, putting holes in the knees. Here in the US Marshalls and TJMAxx are also good places to go to get designer clothes on sale. My daughter got the cutest dress in Marshalls this summer for 15 dollars.

poodletalk
October 28th, 2007, 10:14 PM
I have a very hectic schedule, I don't have alot of time to shop. I am at the gym by 6:30 am 3x a week plus I go on the week-end. I don't get home till 6:30-7:00 pm. I am on the go every week-end, plus I always seem to have dinner occasions where I have to dress up.

When I do go shopping, I get very discouraged since I only have a bit of time and I have so much to do. I would love to have someone to go shopping for me, they need to know what suits me, colours etc. Buy me couple of outfits, the ones I don't like they just return for me. I got that idea from my friend who's mother does all her shopping and returning.