Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

pet stores

allymack
October 27th, 2007, 10:23 AM
there is probably an pbvious answer but where do pet stores get there kittens. i have been thinking about this alot since i went to the pet store yesterday and saw the most adorable kittens. would they be able to get there kittens and puppies from a shelter, because i know that would help get them in to good homes quicker plus it might help stop people from having puppymills, just a thought, any ideas, opinions...

wdawson
October 27th, 2007, 10:27 AM
i would think that most come from byb's,and those free to home people looking to get rid of a litter really quick.

badger
October 27th, 2007, 10:38 AM
A friend of mine went to buy food at a petstore in Montreal and found a bag of tiny kittens on the doorstep. He brought one home, too adorable to resist. The store manager said people drop them off anonomously once or twice a week. Better than a ditch I guess.

mummummum
October 27th, 2007, 11:07 AM
Some pets stores, like Petsmart for instance, host SPCA/ Humane Society animals but they are well-advertsied as the source.

sugarcatmom
October 27th, 2007, 01:37 PM
Byb's for sure. One of my (dumbass) coworkers recently let her un-spayed cat get pregnant, and when she couldn't find homes for the kittens, she took them to Petland. Like mummummum said, if they come from a reputable rescue, as in the case at PetSmart, the rescue's name is all over it and they're the contact if you want to adopt them.

rainbow
October 27th, 2007, 02:30 PM
Like mummummum said, if they come from a reputable rescue, as in the case at PetSmart, the rescue's name is all over it and they're the contact if you want to adopt them.

I agree. All the kittens originate from a byb :sad: but at least if you get one from the SPCA or a rescue you are supporting them and not adding to the profits of the petstore. :2cents:

allymack
October 27th, 2007, 09:53 PM
but couldnt the pets stores like a local pet store get the kittens and puppies from the spca (and well as cats and dogs too!) wouldnt that help the spca somewhat, bec asue i know that for some reason the pet store kittens and puppies just seem to get sold a heck of alot faster then the spca ones are adopted out....sad but true