Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hi, glad to be here...

cmjoiner258
October 27th, 2007, 07:15 AM
My name is Colleen M-J and I live near Kemptville, Ontario Canada. My husband Brian and I have no children but we have a lovely family of our dog (Mason), our #1 cat (Perl) who 'rules the roost' and our shy second cat (Dina). Mason came from a local rescue farm for animals of all sorts. His previous 'parent' owners suffered a large change to their lives wherein they had to turn Mason and his sister over to the farm, as they lost everything! His sister was adopted first and he came to us a month later. He is a lab/shepherd/? mix with a wonderful, gentle personality and loves people, all people (not much of a guard dog though). He has been having very loose stools for a week now. He has been on a vet-recommended hypoallergenic food for about a month before this to determine a potential food allergy. Don't know what to do about the problem. He looks like he's suffering. Please offer suggestions aside from the obvious of taking him to the vet (yet again). What is the deal with pumpkin? Thanks for being there.

mummummum
October 27th, 2007, 11:04 AM
Welcome to pets.ca ! Since I'm the first one to welcome you that means I get to demand, cajole, whine, wheedle and plead for pix of your fur family!!

Pumpkin is fibre. So it's good for animals with both constipation and loose stools. But, if you are using canned do not use the pie-filling, just plain ol' pumpkin. Psyllium (the stuff that is known commercially as Metamucil) does the same thing. Many of the members on the board have used and highly recommend Slippery Elm. You can use the "Search" function to find out how other members have coped with diarrhea and loose stools.

I'll bet if you post a question about food allergies/sensitivities and diet in the health forum 9you can also try a search you will get lots of responses from members. many of us had to cope with this issue ! But, be prepared ~ in the been there, saw the T-shirt and know better than to wear it category :D ~ not too many of us are rah! rah! fans of vet-prescribed diets.

Now....about those pictures :laughing:

JanM
October 27th, 2007, 03:37 PM
Welcome to the board. You'll find lots of helpful advice and encouragement here - provided you post pictures :D just kidding about the pictures - we'd sure love to see them though!