Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

my two year old dog uses the house as the washroom when the weather is bad

heather_oinks
October 27th, 2007, 03:12 AM
My dog is now two and a half years old. She definetely knows that she is not supposed to pee and poop in the house, and normally does all of her business outside. However, when the weather outside is yucky, she will either use my living room or the basement as a place to go to the washroom rather than going outside in the rain or wind to do her business. I have no idea what to do to get her to stop this behaviour. I've told her she is bad, I've rubbed her face in the spot where she peed. Sometimes it stops for a while, but only for the behaviour to return later on. It is getting exasperating. I'm just sick of hauling out the carpet cleaner. I need answers, I'm at my wits end!

Winston
October 27th, 2007, 05:48 AM
My dog is now two and a half years old. She definetely knows that she is not supposed to pee and poop in the house, and normally does all of her business outside. However, when the weather outside is yucky, she will either use my living room or the basement as a place to go to the washroom rather than going outside in the rain or wind to do her business. I have no idea what to do to get her to stop this behaviour. I've told her she is bad, I've rubbed her face in the spot where she peed. Sometimes it stops for a while, but only for the behaviour to return later on. It is getting exasperating. I'm just sick of hauling out the carpet cleaner. I need answers, I'm at my wits end!

First off Welcome! Secondly, please dont rub her nose in the spot as that teaches her nothing! Does she let you know when she needs to go outside? If so try taking her out on a leash in bad weather and keep her on leash until she does her business! remember to give her huge praises and maybe even a treat...she will learn...Also do you crate your girl? If you do, make sure you take her directly outside when you open that door! I am sure others will have some more help for you! There is lots of information on this site!

Would love to see a picture of your girl!

Cindy

mummummum
October 27th, 2007, 12:40 PM
Many dogs hate the cold, hate to get wet and hate windy days ~ so you are definitely not alone!

On the subject of "rubbing her nose in it". Imagine if someone today were to come along and hold a dirty diaper up to your face and say "SEE?? SEE WHAT YOU DID???? BAD BAD BAD GIRL!!!!!!!!!". You would pretty much think that person is a nut-bar wouldn't you? Unfortunately, when you did that to your dog, that's pretty much what they thought of you. You wouldn't connect a dirty diaper presented to you today to your childhood anymore than your dog would connect having their nose "rubbed in it" for something they did ten minutes ago. Dogs don't have the same kind of memory that you and I have nor can they make the same kind of connections that we can make.

Unless you catch your dog in the act or catch them JUST leaving the act ~ there is no point of disciplining them about it. They just don't get it.

It's better to be proactive. It's a rainy day? Get up early and get out there so you can spend more time with them and get the bizness done. Same ting with after-work. If you can, arrange your day so you can come home before their "normal" time to do the biz.

Are they ball-obsessed ? Take them to the park for some off-leash play. or if they have a special doggie friend arrange to have that friend come over for a play in the backyard or in a nearby park. Are they food obsessed? Take their fave treats with you and for every block walked they get lots of praise and a treat ~ for a pee and a poop it should be a treat-a-palooza!

Make sure to THOROUGHLY clean the spots where they have gone so there is no stain or trace of smell.

Good luck and keep us posted!

heather_oinks
October 27th, 2007, 01:19 PM
Just thought of something else. She seems to do this only at night. But on a normal night she'll wake someone up if she wants to go out

mummummum
October 27th, 2007, 01:58 PM
I don't think that makes a difference in my advice other than if you think you dog's vision is deteriorating you should get checked.

clm
October 27th, 2007, 07:43 PM
My last dog would go in the house if he could get away with it in rainy weather and Baxter will as well.
If it's raining in the morning, I have to walk him around the yard until I know he's gone. If I leave it up to him, he won't. But when he's on the leash and walked around the yard, he knows he's not going into a nice dry house until he goes. It works.
At night, same thing, if it's raining, he gets the leash and the walk around the yard before bed.
Just like everyone else has said, rubbing their nose in it serves no purpose except to confuse the dog.

Cindy

the gang
October 27th, 2007, 09:01 PM
welcome to my world 2 male min pins that have a mind of there own grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr