Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Travelling with my dog

Calliemaartje
October 27th, 2007, 03:05 AM
Hi everybody,

We are planning on travelling with our Belgian shepherd dog from Duesseldorf in Germany to Namibia shortly; we are flying LTU, which is considered an animal friendly company; unfortunately there is a stop-over in Muenchen; obviously, this makes things more complicated and so we are concerned about the whole undertaking. Is there anyone who has some do's and don'ts from experience? I am thinking about documents/rules/regulations/sedatives yes or no/food & water, in short: we need as much information as possible.

Thanks in advance!

ps: All required inocculations are taken care of - so is the health-certificate.

marko
October 27th, 2007, 03:31 AM
Hi Calliemaartje,

That seems like a long travel journey. A few things come to mind and I'm sure others will have input as well.

First off, is the dog used to travelling in a crate or traveling at all? If not I would start doing some pretravel in a car or truck to get him used to it.

Will you be able to spend some time with the dog in Munich? I would doubt it but I would look into it. That may ease the dog's discomfort.

In terms of food/water and sedatives..I think more info would help. How long is the flight? How old is your dog? Is the dog nervous? Is it used to being alone?

Good luck. It's REALLY early in Canada/US now but I suspect more people will answer in about 5-6 hours when they wake up.

When do you leave?

Good luck!

Calliemaartje
October 27th, 2007, 04:53 AM
Hi Marko,

Thank you for your quick reaction. Some answers to your questions: Callas is used to travelling by car, also to being in a crate - but only for a short period of time - so we are training her. The flight staff have asured me that the dog will definitely be onboard the second plane on time during the one-hour stop over in Munich. We are not allowed to check on her in the meantime, unfortunately. The first part of the flight takes one hour, the second takes ten hours. All live stock will be checked (only) twice during the long flight. Her weight is approx. 11-12 kgs, she is very nervous, so that's the reason we are thinking of giving her some 'medication'. We're leaving on Nov. 9th.

Hi Calliemaartje,

That seems like a long travel journey. A few things come to mind and I'm sure others will have input as well.

First off, is the dog used to travelling in a crate or traveling at all? If not I would start doing some pretravel in a car or truck to get him used to it.

Will you be able to spend some time with the dog in Munich? I would doubt it but I would look into it. That may ease the dog's discomfort.

In terms of food/water and sedatives..I think more info would help. How long is the flight? How old is your dog? Is the dog nervous? Is it used to being alone?

Good luck. It's REALLY early in Canada/US now but I suspect more people will answer in about 5-6 hours when they wake up.

When do you leave?

Good luck!

mummummum
October 27th, 2007, 11:22 AM
Wow! How exciting and SCARY ! I've only ever travelled with horses so I'm afraid I can't be of much help with your doggy.

However, I would strongly suggest that you get the sedative now and try the prescribed dose with her in advance to a/ ensure she reacts well to that specific medication b/ that the dosage is sufficient to keep her relaxed but not comatose and c/ you are aware of any side effects and her down-time following sedation.

Also, airlines have requirements for the type of crate you must use so be certain yours is to their specs and almost always the water containers (if permitted) must be affixed to the crate. You might also want to ask about in-crate bedding.

I hope you will do us the favour of reporting on your travels. It sounds wonderful and naturally we would love to have your experience!