Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My heart hurts

shy
October 26th, 2007, 08:00 PM
I have a beautiful Ragdoll Cat- and unfortunately all of us are allergic. We had no idea that we were before- but yep-badly.
It has come to the sad conclusion that we do need to give him away.
My hubby well he would just live with not being able to breathe forever- but I cant nor can my daughter.
Any advice on how to break the news to my 6yr old?
And to my hubby?

sugarcatmom
October 26th, 2007, 08:17 PM
Have you tried any allergy meds? Some of the prescription ones can be particularly effective. I'm also allergic to cats (and have asthma) but it's something that has diminished considerably over time (I could never not have cats in my life!). Many people "acclimatize" to their own cat after a while, are you really sure you have to get rid of him?

shy
October 26th, 2007, 08:25 PM
We have tried allot of meds- and we have had him for a year. Nothing changed. I have searched the net for all other options- and there is nothing that I haven't tried. This is so hard for me even talking about it-makes me sick. I haven't ate in 4 days! I love him like a child, and this might seem silly, but I think he knows what is going on-cause he is giving extra love lately.

mummummum
October 26th, 2007, 08:59 PM
I'm sorry ~ that really is sad. perhaps when you speak with your 6 year old you'll find that they would rather live with a stuffy nose and meds prescribed by a doctor than give up their family companion. Some people have found that with the use of a high-quality hepa filter, diligent vaccuuming and meds during shedding season they acclimatize quite well. My ex-husband's severe allergies to my long-haird dog about 1 1/2 to 2 years to calm down.

krdahmer
October 27th, 2007, 12:43 AM
I have allergies asthma and 6 cats. Up until last fall we were all stuck in a small 3 b/r apartment. With an air cleaner, every other day vacuuming, daily litter scooping/ swiffering, singulair and advair for me and high quality food for them (lower quality can cause more shedding), we all get along just fine, I do occassionally get irritated eyes and sneezing fits but its nothing I can't live with. And I can't imagine living without them. I can't imagine how hard it must be for you to be considering giving up.

Maybe just give it a few more months, and I agree include your daughter in the discussion, children although young are very capable of letting you know how they feel and what they wouldn't mind (maybe allergies etc to her are a good trade for having a furry family member). I wasn't immediately able to live with a cat, it took me nearly 2 years to acclimate to my first, but after that every new cat took less and less time for the symptoms to decrease. A year just may not be enough.

If after all the thought and encouragement here you still feel you need to find a new home for the kitty, be sure to work with a reputable rescue group who are experienced with rehoming a cat or do all you can to ensure the next home is their forever home (safe and healthy, loving environment like yours). Do not drop your cat at a shelter, have him stay with you until he goes to the next home.

Best of luck and sorry you are having such a tough time.:sad::grouphug:

shy
October 27th, 2007, 10:29 AM
Thank you every one.
My kitty will only be going to a close family member-if it does come down to it.
I couldn't imagine giving him to a complete stranger.
And also that way we could always visit.
But I don't know-the more I talk about it the harder it is.

Silken
October 27th, 2007, 01:00 PM
We had to give our cat "harry" away due to my hubby's allergies.

It was hard to do!! We cried for a couple of weeks :cry: & a year later we still miss him!

CyberKitten
October 27th, 2007, 01:21 PM
I too have allergies (I just completed a round of allergy tests with not great results) but would I ever give away one of my cats? NOT upon my life!!!! They are my family.

As a pediatrician, I have seen almost every conceivable - emphasis on almost - situation involving children and pets with allergies. And my patients have cancer - many of them may well be dying. Yet, to ask them to part with a cat they love - even as they undergo intense chemo for a bone marrow transplant - is inhumane. I don't do it. instead., I make arrangements so they can see their cat or dog thrugh a window or find ways around it. Yes, some of those who have had bone marrow transplants have died but not because they were allergic to their pets. Some have allergies and in some cases, chemo aggravates allergies. Still, there are meds for allergies and so many ways to allergy proof a home.

Here ar5e a few ideas:

Encase pillows, mattresses and box springs in dust-mite-proof covers. Wash sheets, pillowcases and blankets at least once a week in water heated to at least 130 degrees Fahrenheit. Remove, wash or cover comforters.

Remove carpeting and use hardwood or linoleum flooring or washable area rugs.

Choose furnishings of wood or other materials (not wood you might be allergic to, I have discovered I am allergic to maple and birch of all things)

Keep your cat out of the bedroom. Bathing pets at least twice a week may reduce the amount of allergen they shed.

Hot, humid houses are breeding grounds for dust mites and mold. Maintain temperature at 70 degrees Fahrenheit and relative humidity at 30 percent to 50 percent. Clean or replace small-particle filters in central heating and cooling systems and in room air conditioners at least once a month.

There is no need to loose a beloved family member. Many rescue centers will not take a cat when you give that as an excuse - it's too convenient and there are so many ways to help you and your pet live together even with allergies.

I would urge you to rethink your strategy. Surely you love your cat and realize what the stress of a new home would do to her.

How is it your husband cannot breathe? What is the diagnosis if you want to day? If it an allergy, I see no problem. It cannot be COPD or you would have noticed, believe me. So if it is the usual inhalant allergy tests, there is really no need. to part with a cat!!

I myself have COPD and very low oxygen saturation levels but my cats have NOTHING to do with that so I'd need more info before agreeing your husband can't breathe.

Love4himies
October 29th, 2007, 10:49 AM
My husband is allergic to cats, benedryl works for him and he only needs to take it when there is a new cat around. He eventually gets immune to them. Takes some time, though.

I do keep the house well vacuumed, dusted, aired, and keep the HRV going 24/7 in winter when the windows are closed.

Ragdolls are wonderful pets and if you do have to re-home him to a family member will this person be close enough for your daughter to visit?

Are you sure it is a cat allergy? Did you all become allergic at the same time?

Was it immediately after getting the cat that your allergies started?

Janie123
October 29th, 2007, 11:50 AM
I have terrible allergies to pollen,not animals so I know how hard allergies can be. Sometimes,I can barely breathe If were an animal,I would probably have to give them away too because I get so ill from the allergies I have. Spring is an absolute nightmare for me. Allergy shots were a miracle but I can no longer afford them so I had to stop and do the best I can with cheaper meds.
I know you feel bad. But,if she is going to a good home, you are doing the best thing for your family and her.