Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Update on Luke and his hips

Riluke
October 26th, 2007, 07:36 AM
Luke has had his xray – the whole visit costing a total of $114.00 (as opposed to the previously quoted $377.00).
He does have hip dysplasia, which is what we did not want to hear!
Fortunately he is at a good weight and we are to keep him that way, light exercise and if we can get him swimming that will be good for him

Since he is still a growing pup there is nothing that can be done surgically at this time, so we are going to watch things day by day. The vet said he may just grow into things, he may wear the bone down as he gets older so it will not grind, or it could stay the same. He is on Glucosamine, and if he needs something for pain we will get that to. We are looking into anti skid booties and have put soft cushions down for him to lie on. The good news is he does not appear to be in any pain and still loves to romp in the back yard, so that is where most of his exercise takes place.

We did discuss the various surgeries that can happen from just a simple surgery on the joint, right through to a full hip replacement. He told us that surgeries can run from $500.00 to $1,500.00. What struck me funny about all this is that my mother almost had a heart attack when she heard that, while I felt relieved and thought it was rather manageable. I was thinking thousands of dollars!

So he is still a happy pup, he doesn’t do any walks or anything, and I would say those agility classes are out. But at least now I have the relief on knowing what we are in for and how to deal with it. Thank goodness for a good vet !:dog:

krdahmer
October 26th, 2007, 11:01 AM
Aw sorry it wasn't better news, but it sounds like you guys are well informed and you have some options so thats great. And I am also surprised at those prices, that really is reasonable for a surgery. And knowing it may be coming you'll have lots of time to save. I hope that everything is best case scenario for you all! :pray::grouphug:

Frenchy
October 26th, 2007, 12:15 PM
I'm sorry about the HD news :sad: but maybe it won't be so bad :fingerscr

rainbow
October 26th, 2007, 03:15 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about Luke. :sad: :grouphug:

We did discuss the various surgeries that can happen from just a simple surgery on the joint, right through to a full hip replacement. He told us that surgeries can run from $500.00 to $1,500.00.

So, it's $1500 for a full hip replacement? That's pretty cheap imo. This year we've paid $3400 x 2 for TPLO surgeries (one for each back leg) and $1000 for a partial meniscus removal on his left knee. Plus over $500 in antibiotics because of the infection after the second TPLO. So, I think it's amazing that they can replace a hip for $1500. :o

mummummum
October 26th, 2007, 07:47 PM
Ceili, now eight has probably had dysplasia for most if not all of her life and she's actually doing okay. I've been religious about giving her the gluco+chondroitin+msm and found improvement with an increased daily dosage. When we run out of our current bottle I am going to order the Dausaquin I talked about in another thread. I'll post an update on that once we've trialed it.

$1500 for a hip replacement? Maybe I'll move to Halifax. I've been quoted between 5 and 10k per hip depending on the material I want used.

hazelrunpack
October 26th, 2007, 08:22 PM
Sorry to hear about the dysplasia. :grouphug: But you're on the right track with the weight management and beneficial exercise. We've used the glucosamine/chondroitin with great results on dysplastic dogs, too :thumbs up

:fingerscr that Luke is one of those lucky ones that never displays symptoms! :pray:

And that's a fabulous price for hip replacement. I think when we had Priscilla's hips replaced back in the 90's it was already ~$2000 per hip back then.

Riluke
October 27th, 2007, 06:07 PM
Oh I am sure it can cost more than that. I never expect the first price they give to be correct, especially if they are not doing the surgery. For me it is a wait and see thing. Hopefully it never comes to surgery.

We tried the dog booties tonight. It was not a resounding success...lol......we will try again later when he is less pissed off at me..

growler~GateKeeper
October 28th, 2007, 01:03 AM
Sorry to hear about the HD :sad:

:fingerscr he grows into a point where it never affects him :goodvibes:

mummummum
October 28th, 2007, 08:38 AM
I guess I'm pretty lazy ~ it would never have occurred to me to put Ceili's boots on and off each and every day. I just bought attractive runners and area rugs sufficient to make a path for the floors that are without carpet.

Riluke
October 28th, 2007, 07:23 PM
We do have a rug somewhere in the house that we have to locate because I don't think the booties are going to cut it.
Unfortunately he likes to sleep in the dinning room/kitchen and it just looks silly to have a rug.

The things we do for our dogs...

I have to share something cute. After I finished up throwing a halloween party today for my 6 year old. I went upstairs and found the dog and the husband snuggled up in the chair asleep. it was beyond cute!

breeze
October 28th, 2007, 07:34 PM
I really hope that it either stays the same or he grows and it won't effect him.. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

is there an age that the vet will know wether it will stay the same or get worst??

Frenchy
October 28th, 2007, 09:32 PM
Unfortunately he likes to sleep in the dinning room/kitchen and it just looks silly to have a rug.

My foster Ben has problems on slippery floors ... and he likes to be in the kitchen. I bought 2 runners and he knows now to lay down on them. It really helps him.

Riluke
October 29th, 2007, 07:22 AM
is there an age that the vet will know wether it will stay the same or get worst??

Not really. He just said we have to watch him month by month, if he gets worse we bring him in. They will not do any sort of surgical proceedure right now because he is growing and it would do more harm then good.

We got the rug down last night. He seemed to like that.