- Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 


Garlic - good or Bad

October 25th, 2007, 07:11 PM
I have always be Skeptical of using Garlic in my pets food,
I know, You read lots of good things about using it in very small amounts,

Thing is lately I've been running into sites that states any amounts of Garlic is bad.
1. Onions (Both onions and garlic contain the toxic ingredient Thiosulphate. But onions are more of a danger. Many dog biscuits contain *small* amounts of garlic garlic contains less of this toxin so huge amounts would need to be consumed to be toxic. And, by the way, this poison builds up the system it can be toxic in one large dose or with repeated consumption of small amounts.)

anybody have any thoughts on this?

October 25th, 2007, 07:36 PM
I talked to a doctor at the missing link and per what he said its not harmfull inless in large dose and in the raw form. I was also told before that it can be an appitite stimulent

October 25th, 2007, 07:45 PM
Yes I've heard all that too :)
But I guess my concern was this
this poison builds up the system with repeated consumption of small amounts
So thats saying even small amounts are dangerous,

Jim Hall
October 25th, 2007, 07:50 PM
from a quick scan a type blooded cats are more siucepitable and ticks and so forth can be a carrier

October 25th, 2007, 07:52 PM
I've been wondering about this too. What would be considered a small amount though? And how often?

October 25th, 2007, 08:05 PM
So cats are more susceptible then. :thumbs up

Sites I found it on was concerning Dogs,
25 Human Foods Toxic To Dogs
By: was one of them

Jim Hall
October 25th, 2007, 08:10 PM
In humans it looks like the same thing happens with the same ingrediant and also the ingredients in non asprin pain reliever. IE it's an allergic reaction or
a triigger for a comprimised auto immune system and or liver