Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How much to feed?

Freyja
October 25th, 2007, 01:26 PM
Just got my new puppy to the vet's for a checkup and shots. He is a rescue so I was not sure how old he was. (He was found in a dump on a reserve). The vet tells me that based on his teeth, he would reckon that my guy is about 51/2 to 6 mos old. So I checked the feeding guide for Orijen Puppy and I am confused. I am supposed to feed him based on his estimated adult weight??? I think he is mostly Lab, so how much would you expect him to weigh fully grown. He weighs 18kg now.

Freyja
October 25th, 2007, 01:32 PM

This is my little boy.

Ford Girl
October 25th, 2007, 01:54 PM
I feed Orijen too, and at the weight you listed, I'd start with 1 cup per meal, 2 cups per day. You are feeding the large breed puppy formula? Mostly lab, and male, I guess an adult weight of about 60 - 80lbs, but with a mixed rescue, you will only be able to guess. His poops will tell you if he's getting too much, too much and they will be very soft, even a 1/4 cup will make a difference, and if you are just switching to Orijen, they will be soft anyways, I'd pick up some canned pure pumpkin to help with the transition and the soft poops. You should feed a new food for at least several weeks before you decide if it's right for them, unless of course it's making him very sick.

My dog weighs 73lbs now and is a golden, she eats 3 cups of Orijen a day, plus 2 tbls Evo with each meal and fresh natural snacks and treats and bones...we tried to increase it as she grew and her body didn't need it, I find the back of the bag is too much. We tried 4 cups for a week and man o man, it didn't agree with her, back down to 3 cups. I switched her to adult formulas at 12 months of age, stil at 3 cups per day.

Freyja
October 26th, 2007, 09:21 AM
Thank you!!! I have been feeding him 4 cups a day!! 2 in the morning and 2 at night. And yes, it is the Puppy Large Breed. Soft poops for sure, but we just switched from Acana. He has only been sick once and that was right after a feed. Maybe I will wean him down and see how it goes. Lindy is really good on 2 cups a day. I am not an over treater. Usually a couple of snacks, and then some "training treats". BTW, Lindy has been on Orijen for a couple of months now and her coat is gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!

Ford Girl
October 30th, 2007, 11:47 AM
4 cups is too much, decrease it by 1/4 per meal, and do that for a week. He will look at the dish like...where's all the food, in his mind he should be getting more, but his body will adjust. I also find that Dazy will skip meals cuz she just doesn't need it, after about 4 months on Orijen, she started to self regulate her intake based on her energy levels. And I just had her weighed, she's actually 69.8lbs.

Freyja
November 7th, 2007, 11:04 PM
Thanks again.

I have weaned him down, one and a half cups in morning and one cup at night. Both dogs have been pooping up a storm!!!!!!!!!!!!! The older dog is on 2 cups a day and still having soft poops. The other day she pooped three times in a 45 minute walk!!