Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

3 week old kittens

animalluvr
October 25th, 2007, 06:46 AM
Hi.
My daughter found 2 kittens that never ever stop constantly meowing lol. We took them to the vet and she told us they were about 3 weeks old and that they looked fine.The mother cat has abandoned them and my daughter wants to keep em so i took them in.The vet gave me special kitten formula which i have been using to bottle feed them.Last night i didnt notice a problem but ive noticed tonight that the genital area of both kittens has become swollen and slightly red.

They r not meowing now more than they usually do and i have been following the directions on the can and feeding them at the proper times.We have had em just over week and a bit and because of their age the vet told me to give them 2 scoops of formula instead of the inital 1 scoop after feeding them for a week.

I noticed last night that they also have slight Diareah which only started last night.

Do you think this is because of the increased scoop of formula. maybe they werent ready for it yet?... and do you think that the swelling should be seen to or do u think i should just go back to 1 scoop of formula and maybe dilute it a bit and see what they r like tomorrow and see if the swelling goes away by itself?

Ty for any suggestions ive not looked after kittens this young.

Love4himies
October 25th, 2007, 06:56 AM
Have you been stimulating them so they can urinate or deficate? Some kittens need this until they are over 4 weeks old. Kittens are very fragile and can go downhill very quickly.

I recommend they immediately go back to the vet. If you can bring a fecal sample so the vet can check for parasites that would be helpful.

What type of kitty litter are you using? Kittens should never be exposed to clumping as they have a tendency to eat litter (they put everything in their mouths) and the clumping litter can cause blockages.

animalluvr
October 25th, 2007, 07:03 AM
ty for replying so fast :)

Yes after every feed the vet told me to gently swab them with a cotton ball to stimulate them to go which they have been.

My vet also said they r not big enuff yet to actually bother about a litterbox. which i actually thought was a lil weird.lol so we have been keeping them in a large box with some sawdust and a blanket for bedding.

I really cant afford to go to the vet atm do u think this is an emergency thing then?:(
its 930pm anyway so i wont be able to take them til tomorrow so i guess it was a mute point even asking i was just curious to see if anyone thought the 2 formula scoops might be whats doing it bein too strong for their lil tummies.

Love4himies
October 25th, 2007, 07:16 AM
At 4 weeks of age the kittens should be able to digest some watered down high quality canned kitten food that is warmed slightly (body temperature). This should supplement their formula feeding. The kitten food would be cheaper than formula from the vet and would keep the kittens fuller longer. Wellness makes an excellent canned kitten food that kittens seem to love (small pink can). Check at your local pet food place. Grain free/corn free is the best for their digestive systems. Felidae Cat and Kitten is also good and may be cheaper than the Wellness brand.

When I had to supplement my foster kittens, the formula was just slightly thickened, almost lilke car oil. They may have a slight intolerance to the formula.

Because the vet has already seen them, maybe you can take a fecal sample in without the kittens to save some money on the office visit. They need to be checked for parasites as they can kill kittens.

animalluvr
October 25th, 2007, 07:25 AM
i just want to say a big ty for all your advice and help so quickly.

I will try n bring a sample in cos our vet costs a fortune for barely five mins lookin the kitten over.
All she pretty much did when we took them was weigh them and tell me how old they were and the sex of em.. it wasnt what i class as any sort of check if you ask me honestly.. so id rather avoid the vet if i can but if they r sick i guess theres no real way around it

My 8yo daughter has become very attached to them and will be devastated if one of em or both died as she had a cat die last week suddenly while holding it.it had zero illness symptoms it just dropped dead.
It was a cat she found outside it was about a year old and she had been just last week successfully been able to tame it enuff into becoming friendly and she was absolutely devastated at it...thats the only reason i honestly let her keep these ones.Im not against cats but our rottie just had puppies ..9 of em lol a few weeks ago and ive got my handsful atm lol.

CyberKitten
October 25th, 2007, 05:36 PM
Diarrhea in kittens that young can be a medical emergency so I would not hesitate to call your vet - s/he must know you rescued these guys and are helping them - I know my vet would help me out in a similar situation. I have raised doz4ens of bottle babies from infancy and I doubt you are giving them too much tho it's tough to know without actually seeing them and I do not mean just in pix. . But do it slowly - they will mew when hungry but keep feeding them the formula you have and some KMR.

Keep helping them eliminate and if you can add a bit of a very tiny amt of canned pumpkin - that can abate the diarrhea BUT check with your vet first because I do not know what else may be a problem with the kittens,. They could be ill - what did the vet say? Did s/he do a full blood panel at al? Check for worms? Look at their feces closely and make sure it is clear and does not have anything not unexpected in it.

Please keep them warm - babies that young need warmth - you can create your own heating blanket - that is what I used to do - even keep them near you just so they can absorb your body heat. If they have been alone for awhile, they may already have lost electrolytes and have some damage and so need extra care. Please please call your vet and explain your financial situation and how these kittens came to be with you - most will understand!!

Good luck and keep us posted. Thanks for being angels to these babies!! hey need you round the clock right now! I just hope you do not loose any to fading kitten syndrome (and even the best breeders and nurturers of newborns who have lost their feline mama sometimes loose one or two so be cautious - you do need more vet help I suspect!)

:grouphug::thumbs up:fingerscr

Love4himies
October 26th, 2007, 09:34 AM
Did s/he do a full blood panel at al? Check for worms? Look at their feces closely and make sure it is clear and does not have anything not unexpected in it.

:grouphug::thumbs up:fingerscr

Can vets take blood from kittens that young? When my foster kittens were sick (they saw three different vets) at that age the vets said they couldn't take blood because there was not enough blood in their tiny bodies to take. I was very frustrated with the vets. Maybe because they went to a country vet they didn't have the equipment to do so :shrug:.

CyberKitten
October 26th, 2007, 08:42 PM
I am a hematologist and I take blood from babies not yet born. So while I am NOT a vet, I would assume the same is true of cats. The values are different of course. And cats mainly have A type and rarely B and AB - my Sphynx, like many of their breed are in the B group. So they have different blood groups. There is also a medical situation where a feline mom can have a Type B blood rype and say gives birth to to Type A kittens, severe reactions can occur in the kittens. This requires blood work and transfusions, just as we do for human babies so yes, I would think blood work can be done. It is not usually a always included but if a kitten is ill enough and one does not know what antibodies and infections mama had, it might be worth it. It will hardly hurt the kitten and may help!!!!!!!!!

Any updates on the little ones?

Love4himies
October 29th, 2007, 12:19 PM
I was wondering what is done on extremely premature babies that are only 1lb., but maybe the vet clinic I was at didn't have such high tech equipment.

CyberKitten
October 29th, 2007, 02:42 PM
Well, I operate on children in utero and preemies of course and I do know some vet centers can do that as well but usually for research. So, operating on premature kittens is certainly possible.

rainbow
October 29th, 2007, 04:07 PM
Animalluvr, how are the baby kittens doing now? :fingerscr :goodvibes: :goodvibes: