Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

potty training and whining

jamie 82
October 24th, 2007, 10:29 PM
hey everyone.

I'm a new dog owner - we have a bichon cross with a pekingese.
she is 7 weeks old and adorable.

while at work, we are putting our dog in a blocked off portion of the kitchen. this seems to be working, as she will pee and poop on the "pee pads". When we get home from work, we open up the whole kitchen...and she will not go on the pee pads - does anyone have tips to make her go on them, even when the whole kitchen is open?

When abouts do puppies start being able to hold their bladders and how do we know if this is the case and she can hold it or at least control it better? we can't take her outside until the end of november (vaccinations), so once that time comes, we want to start making her go outside, and get rid of the pee pads.

Also, the dog whines when we leave - this is understandable. However, we could be in the same room as her and going about our daily lives, and she will whine and whine...is this just a puppy thing, or is something wrong? As much as we love cuddling and holding her, it just isn't possible to do all the time.

I am open to any kind of advice.
I think this forum is a great idea and thanks in advance!

Isolde
October 25th, 2007, 11:11 AM
Hi and welcome. :)

I have a 4 month old chi puppy and she is probably not bigger then your puppy.
I was able to paper trainer her by putting a box with papers in the bedroom and one in the livingroom area and praised her every time she peed where she was suppose to. She still misses sometimes, mistakes will happen will small breeds quite alot so the best thing to do is make sure your pup knows where the pad is and give her a treat and lllooottss of praise every time she goes on the pad. Your puppy can only hold it for about 1 – 1 ½ hours. It is physically impossible for them to hold it longer at this point.

About the crying. For a Pekinese pup to be taken at 7 weeks is a little early :sad:. Usually small breeds should be left with the dam for at least 8 weeks but it is much better if they stay until 10-12 weeks. She is basically too small and missing her family and feels lonely and insecure :cry:.

I would not cuddle her and hold her when she cries. This will only teach her that crying will get the people to pay attention to her. Affection should be given when the puppy is calm and not crying.

:pawprint:

jamie 82
October 25th, 2007, 11:15 AM
Thanks for the reply!

Last night was much better - she went on her pee pads during the evening and throughout the night.

I will try not to cuddle her, as that is giving in...its so hard though when they are crying. :cry: its so hard to listen to and not do anything. Good tip about the praising when being calm and quiet.

Thanks again!

Isolde
October 25th, 2007, 11:21 AM
I know, Ivy does the same when she gets scared of something or we are on a walk and a dog that barks aggressively scares her. It breaks my heart because she is 1 kg of love and cuteness but this only makes them unbalanced and then u have to leave with this problem for the rest of their lives. Not something that I want ... :wall:
So when she cries I just don’t encourage it :lightbulb:.

I had Pekinese as well a wile ago and they are cute as hell but u can resist that cuteness, u have to! :highfive:

Get her lots of toys to play with a chew on, that will take her mind of the siblings and mom :lovestruck: